Donny

Default Any such thing as a good 12 volt vacuum?

Hi folks,

Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
times out on the hook?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
Bruce Woodburn

I'd love to know, too. I went on a search for a 12v "Dustbuster" and drew a
blank.

There are many rechargeable (on 120v) units, but the voltage was always too
low to splice them to 12v. I suppose the right resistor would do the job,
but they do draw a fair amount of current. I could charge it off my little
inverter, but that seemed inelegant.

Someone is missing a marketing bonanza. Think of all those RV owners who
would love one as a stocking stuffer.

Bruce

"Donny" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
times out on the hook?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html

Karin Conover-Lewis

I picked-up a 12 volt car vac from Pep Boys, and am quite happy with it.
Small and easy to store, enough power to pick up most everything I need it
to pick up. The hose isn't as flexible as it could be, but that's no real
biggie. As I recall it was $25-30 or so.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Donny" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
times out on the hook?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html

john s.

"Donny" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
times out on the hook?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html

I have a Black and Decker "Car-Vac" (I think that's how it's called,
can't check since it's on the boat) since 1887. It works fine from a
cigarette lighter oultet. The only minus is that there isn't a better
box to store it in than the original cardboard box which by now looks
mighty crappy...
john
Vic Fraenckel

| I have a Black and Decker "Car-Vac" (I think that's how it's called,
| can't check since it's on the boat) since 1887. It works fine from a
| cigarette lighter oultet. The only minus is that there isn't a better
| box to store it in than the original cardboard box which by now looks
| mighty crappy...

I should think so after 116 years grin.
BTW:Where did you plug it in before the first car came along?

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
KC2GUI
www.windsway.com

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

"john s." wrote in message
om...
| "Karin Conover-Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
| I picked-up a 12 volt car vac from Pep Boys, and am quite happy with it.
| Small and easy to store, enough power to pick up most everything I need
it
| to pick up. The hose isn't as flexible as it could be, but that's no
real
| biggie. As I recall it was $25-30 or so.
|
| --
| Karin Conover-Lewis
| Fair and Balanced since 1959
| klc dot lewis at gte dot net (old -- don't use)
| klc dot lewis at centurytel dot net (new)
|

| "Donny" wrote in message
| Hi folks,
|
| Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
| small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
| times out on the hook?
|
| Thanks
| Donny
|

| '74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'
|
| http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts
|
| http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
|
| john

Mark Petrush

Donny-

We gave up on our 12v vacuum and went to a 110v Royal "Dirt Devil", and
installed an inverter for those times away from the slip.

Regards, Mark Petrush.

"Donny" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Just wondering what everybody uses to vacuum their boats. I know a
small house vac is best when your docked, but what about extended
times out on the hook?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html

Gogarty

There are plenty of 12V car vacuums that works just fine on the boat.
They are not terribly sturdy but they are also prtetty cheap.

Steve

I've tried several 12 volt vacs over 40 yrs of boating and conclude that
they just can't match a good small AC
--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions shop vac.

For this boat I went on a search for the best since I currently have some
area rugs that are large and difficult to remove for cleaning..

What I did was pick of various models of the one gallon wet/dry shop vacs at
different stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc). I only got them where I
knew I wouldn't have a problem returning them if they didn't pass my tests.

I was after suction power, so I got a 5ft section of 1 1/4" clear plastic
hose. I fitted it to each shop vac and suspended it vertically over a bucket
of water.

Turned on the vacuum and measured the water column.

I don't have the test results any more, but the Shop Pro from Lowes won out
with a lift of nearly 4 ft of water.

Now this may seem anal, but my bilges are very deep, about 30 inches in the
deepest sump. Plus my fuel and water tanks are about 20 inches deep.

I figure, over time the shop vac will loose some efficiency, but the winner
of this test stands a better chance of doing the job the longest.

BTW. Didn't have any problem returning the other contendors.

L. M. Rappaport

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 16:24:23 -0700, "Steve" wrote
(with possible editing):

I've tried several 12 volt vacs over 40 yrs of boating and conclude that
they just can't match a good small AC

Me too. Considering that good ac vacuums draw over 10 amps at 120vac,
the equivalent horsepower at 12vdc would require drawing over 100
amps.

--
Larry

O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM
cheap vacuum bagging William R. Watt Boat Building 32 October 31st 03 05:41 AM
Is it ok to run a 24 volt trolling motor on a 12 volt battery to test the motor to see if it actually runs? SDNomad General 5 October 9th 03 07:30 PM