Default Boom brakes and preventers

So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.
Gordon

On Oct 2, 6:31*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.
* Gordon

Best thing I have added to my Cascade 42 is a rigid boom vang. I
purchased a Garhauler (sp). Fit the mast and boom right out of the
box. The foot of the main is 20' long and the traveler is on the end
of boom. Makes main sail control a breeze.
Tim

On Oct 2, 9:31*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.
* Gordon

I have a rigid vang (Selden Rodkicker) that has been very nice; I'm
quite pleased with it.

I'm a very firm believer in rigging preventers to the boom end. In the
admittedly unlikely event that the boom ends up in the water a boom-
end preventer reduces the chances of bending or breaking the boom. The
preventer runs from the boom end forward to a bow cleat, around the
cleat as a fairlead, and back to a stern cleat where it is secured. To
get it pretty firm I ease the mainsail forward to the shrouds, tighten
the preventer, and then pull the sail back a bit with the mainsheet.

The only disadvantage of this setup is having to disconnect the
preventer and run it around the shrouds and mast to the other side
when jibing. I could run port and starboard preventers, but I have
enough lines running around the deck as it is, particularly offshore
with jacklines, spinnaker tack line, and spinnaker sheets all running
down the side decks.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

On 2008-10-02 21:31:05 -0400, Gordon said:

So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.

With the weight of our boom, I find an adjustable topping lift more
useful than a rope vang, as the last thing I want to do most times is
pull the boom down. Have used rope vangs as preventers by shifting to
the toe rail. Haven't tried a rigid vang, mostly due to cost.

Our traveler is mid-boom and 5' wide so works adequately as a preventer
as well as shaping the sail more nicely.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-ŕ-Deux -- Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2008-10-02 21:31:05 -0400, Gordon said:

So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.

With the weight of our boom, I find an adjustable topping lift more useful
than a rope vang, as the last thing I want to do most times is pull the
boom down. Have used rope vangs as preventers by shifting to the toe rail.
Haven't tried a rigid vang, mostly due to cost.

Our traveler is mid-boom and 5' wide so works adequately as a preventer as
well as shaping the sail more nicely.

I have a rigid vang which does away with the need for a topping lift.

On 2008-10-02 21:31:05 -0400, Gordon said:

So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.

With the weight of our boom, I find an adjustable topping lift more
useful than a rope vang, as the last thing I want to do most times is
pull the boom down. Have used rope vangs as preventers by shifting to the
toe rail. Haven't tried a rigid vang, mostly due to cost.

Our traveler is mid-boom and 5' wide so works adequately as a preventer
as well as shaping the sail more nicely.

I have a rigid vang which does away with the need for a topping lift.

I would like that to be so with my boat, but I use the dutchman flaking
system, and the way it's rigged it needs the topping lift.

My rope vang can be easily detached from the mast foot, and I can attach it
to the rail, so no need for a serious end-of-boom preventer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I use a Garhauer rigid vang; and, a CMI 'rescue descender' as the boom
brake.

http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/descenders/R1000.asp

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:51:22 -0700 (PDT), RichH
wrote:

I use a Garhauer rigid vang; and, a CMI 'rescue descender' as the boom
brake.

http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/descenders/R1000.asp

Not having used a "rescue descender", I'm trying to envision how this
works. I'm guessing the small end of the descender attaches to
mid-boom with a shackle, and a line running athwartship (port to
starboard) gets looped through and around the large end ?

What is the biggest boat on which you have used this technique ?

Trailer Brakes Steve P General 3 May 25th 07 12:37 PM
Here we go! Bad Brakes!!!! Bob Crantz ASA 0 August 15th 06 04:57 PM
Do you hear them..? BOOM BOOM BOOM! The drums of war grow louder. Bertie the Bunyip ASA 447 July 31st 03 05:34 AM
Can ya hear the BOOM BOOM BOOM of celebrations in Bagdad The_navigator© ASA 61 July 26th 03 02:08 AM