Auspicious Auspicious is offline

Default Boom brakes and preventers

On Oct 2, 9:31*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.
* Gordon

I have a rigid vang (Selden Rodkicker) that has been very nice; I'm
quite pleased with it.

I'm a very firm believer in rigging preventers to the boom end. In the
admittedly unlikely event that the boom ends up in the water a boom-
end preventer reduces the chances of bending or breaking the boom. The
preventer runs from the boom end forward to a bow cleat, around the
cleat as a fairlead, and back to a stern cleat where it is secured. To
get it pretty firm I ease the mainsail forward to the shrouds, tighten
the preventer, and then pull the sail back a bit with the mainsheet.

The only disadvantage of this setup is having to disconnect the
preventer and run it around the shrouds and mast to the other side
when jibing. I could run port and starboard preventers, but I have
enough lines running around the deck as it is, particularly offshore
with jacklines, spinnaker tack line, and spinnaker sheets all running
down the side decks.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious