Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Boom brakes and preventers

On 2008-10-02 21:31:05 -0400, Gordon said:

So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.

With the weight of our boom, I find an adjustable topping lift more
useful than a rope vang, as the last thing I want to do most times is
pull the boom down. Have used rope vangs as preventers by shifting to
the toe rail. Haven't tried a rigid vang, mostly due to cost.

Our traveler is mid-boom and 5' wide so works adequately as a preventer
as well as shaping the sail more nicely.

--
Jere Lull