HPEER HPEER is offline

Default Boom brakes and preventers

wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:01:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Oct 2, 6:31 pm, Gordon wrote:
So who prefers what and why. I'm looking at vangs also, rigid vs line.
Gordon

Best thing I have added to my Cascade 42 is a rigid boom vang. I
purchased a Garhauler (sp). Fit the mast and boom right out of the
box. The foot of the main is 20' long and the traveler is on the end
of boom. Makes main sail control a breeze.
Tim

I'll second the Garhauer boom vang. I'll add that the family that
makes them (oddly enough, they are also named Garhauer!) is very eager
to make sure you have a good experience.

Well for something completely different..........
I have a 33 foot steel cutter I single hand. It had no vang so I
fitted it with two 4:1 Garhauer rope vangs led to the toe rails. The
two vangs work in tandem to position the boom and work as a preventer.
Love it. A similar set up has been written up in Good Old Boat a couple
of times, I think the most recent is in the current issue.
I think Garhauer is great. Good price and good service and good materials.