Default Bayside, Queens

They're long gone. I think Skip has gotten disgusted and tired of SPOT and
isn't running it any more. Too bad. It was fun following them. The unit
is a bit quirky but works fine when you figure out the klunky interface. I
think they probably added the tracking feature after the case and circuit
were already finalized and had to come up with a button sequence so tracking
was added with a firmware function instead of a dedicated button. Late
implementation would also explain the tracking page still being in beta
development.

Mine's working fine and still on the same batteries I put in after I bought
it last March. I'll be taking it on the delivery trip of the Maryland
research vessel so people at the university can follow the progress.

SPOT should really come up with a second generation unit that has an "Up /
Down" button and a small LED screen. All it does is transmit numbers to the
sat system. If you could change just one number, you could set up a page
with the people you were communicating with and have 64 to 256 prearranged
codes which would let you convey a lot of useful information.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
They're long gone. I think Skip has gotten disgusted and tired of
SPOT and isn't running it any more. Too bad. It was fun following
them. The unit is a bit quirky but works fine when you figure out
the klunky interface. I think they probably added the tracking
feature after the case and circuit were already finalized and had to
come up with a button sequence so tracking was added with a firmware
function instead of a dedicated button. Late implementation would
also explain the tracking page still being in beta development.

Not disgusted and tired to the point of non-use. It just didn't do its
thing on the last couple of trips. If we implement your sequence
successfully, it will show our passages. When I get the "OK" notice on
wifi before we've left, I'd presumed it was working... Not yet
decided; we'll either do a one- or two-jump (all the usual
disclaimers/allowances) trip (Charleston maybe if not direct) to Miami
when we leave here (Atlantic Highlands)...

Mine's working fine and still on the same batteries I put in after I
bought it last March. I'll be taking it on the delivery trip of the
Maryland research vessel so people at the university can follow the
progress.

Your battery life is encouraging; I wish now that we'd known your
success instead of their cautious "2-week life" statement, as we'd not
have bought the 4 (sets) replacements at staggering prices...

SPOT should really come up with a second generation unit that has an
"Up / Down" button and a small LED screen. All it does is transmit
numbers to the sat system. If you could change just one number, you
could set up a page with the people you were communicating with and
have 64 to 256 prearranged codes which would let you convey a lot of
useful information.

So, call or write them with the suggestion. Bet they'd send you a new
one to test...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

"Skip Gundlach" wrote

When I get the "OK" notice on wifi before we've left, I'd presumed it was
working...

I've discovered that OK is a totally separate function from tracking. The
tracking sequence does not start with an "OK" message. Since the first OK
sometimes takes 20 minutes to go out, I've rejected their advice to always
start with an OK. If the unit is still trying to send the OK, it won't
start tracking. The LED indication for attempting to send and OK and being
in tracking is the same so it's confusing. Just turn it on and hold the OK
button until the LED goes off again. If you do want to send a morning "OK",
you have to wait until just the ON LED is blinking, turn the unit off, and
then start again to initiate tracking as described above. Too much waiting
for me in the morning.

When I send the evening OK, I do it just after anchoring as I'm turning
other stuff off and then leave it on until just before turning in for the
night when I turn it off.

I've had good luck with mine on a shelf inside above a berth. I saw yours
outside on the cabin top. You might try it inside.

--
Roger Long

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:54:21 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Not yet
decided; we'll either do a one- or two-jump (all the usual
disclaimers/allowances) trip (Charleston maybe if not direct) to Miami
when we leave here (Atlantic Highlands)...

This is not a good time of year for heroic offshore passages. In
addition to the hurricane threat there are a steady stream of frontal
systems coming off the coast and the occasional fall gale.

A far more prudent route is to head back to the northern Chesapeake
and take your time working south until late October. You really do
*not* want to be caught "out there" in a 3 day nor'easter. They move
up the coast with incredible speed.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 05:32:13 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I'm sure there is some connection here to the Secret Grand Council of
Abusive Tax Collectors, but I'll leave it to Larry to defend the great
city of Charleston.

Charleston is a fine city. Travel by car, preferably a rental. :-)

"Wayne.B" wrote

This is not a good time of year for heroic offshore passages.

Excellent advice. My first experience offshore was in early October. We
blew the mainsail out below the first reef three hours out of Newport. We
blew out a sail every night and I sewed for hours. I saw the 100 foot North
Sea pilot schooner completely underwater at one point with just two masts
sticking above the sea. The steel foremast was found cracked half way
around from the impact shortly after she docked in Bermuda.

--
Roger Long

Wayne.B wrote in
news
We went back and forth with them for over six months, exchanging
lawyer letters, tracking down former owners, etc. After being
threatened with seizure any number of times they finally decided that
no money was due after reviewing all of the available evidence. I
insisted that they write me a letter to that effect which I still have
in the boat files. The whole affair has left me with a rather bad
feeling toward your otherwise fine city. We won't be back any time
soon. I even get nervous transiting the coast.

I don't blame you! I'd never come back here if I were treated like a
criminal.

I'm forwarding your post to someone I know in County government who will be
very interested in this. I'll be sure to cut your header out of it.

Gogarty wrote in
:

As I have said before, this is the ideal place to wait out the Hell
Gate or the Sound going in either direction.

thanks.

wrote:

Not yet decided; we'll either do a one- or two-jump (all the usual
disclaimers/allowances) trip (Charleston maybe if not direct) to Miami
when we leave here (Atlantic Highlands)...

This is not a good time of year for heroic offshore passages. In
addition to the hurricane threat there are a steady stream of frontal
systems coming off the coast and the occasional fall gale.

A far more prudent route is to head back to the northern Chesapeake and
take your time working south until late October. You really do *not*
want to be caught "out there" in a 3 day nor'easter. They move up the
coast with incredible speed.

I second that sentiment and add that Hattaras can blow up in any given
hour this time of year.

At a minimum, bounce down to Beaufort and take off from there. Have
another of those steaks along the way.

--
Jere Lull