Default Bayside, Queens

Skip and Lydia sailed from their Friday night anchorage in Port Jeff,
straight down the rest of LIS non-stop, and are anchored in Little
Neck Bay just off the yacht club in Bayside, Queens. They're in the
big city now... Padlock your dinghy at all times!

They choose a strange place to anchor in Port Jefferson. I'll bet they
had a pretty roll-y night. I know several people gave them tips on
much better spots.

Hopefully we'll get a first hand report soon.

wrote in :

Padlock your dinghy at all times!

Won't the gunfire, screams and sirens keep them awake?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:28:30 +0000, Larry wrote:

wrote in :

Padlock your dinghy at all times!

Won't the gunfire, screams and sirens keep them awake?

Boaters are used to taking their dinghy to a dock, tieing it to a
cleat and going ashore with no worries. Where they are now, that's a
good way to get rid of a dinghy you don't want - in the blink of an
eye.

Vic Smith wrote in
:

It's all a little hazy.

Sounds somewhat like my recollection of Woodstock in '69...(c;

Anyone who actually "remembers" Woodstock must have been a cop or first
responder....or wasn't there.

It was probably best. I was 23. A few of us took leave from the Navy to
attend....

....none of us told them, of course, where we were going!

On 14 Sep 2008 21:02:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

I know quite a few people who HAVE sailed there that would disagree
with your assessment. It's not the Bronx, but it's not what Skip is
accustomed too, either.

Yes. I would have thought that City Island might have been preferable.

Little Neck Bay is fine for an overnight anchorage prior to getting an
early start down the East River - much better protection from the
prevailing winds and closer to Throggs Neck than City Island. I would
not moor a boat there permanently however. A friend of mine did that
for a few years back in the 80s and was broken into repeatedly.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:25:15 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On 14 Sep 2008 21:02:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

I know quite a few people who HAVE sailed there that would disagree
with your assessment. It's not the Bronx, but it's not what Skip is
accustomed too, either.

Yes. I would have thought that City Island might have been preferable.

Little Neck Bay is fine for an overnight anchorage prior to getting an
early start down the East River - much better protection from the
prevailing winds and closer to Throggs Neck than City Island. I would
not moor a boat there permanently however. A friend of mine did that
for a few years back in the 80s and was broken into repeatedly.

Yeah, you "can" anchor there overnight. My warning is that you need to
be on your guard in a way that few boaters are accustomed to. That
means having a chain and padlock that you use on your dinghy when you
go ashore, and hoping that that is sufficient.

Plus, Skip is CRUISING, which for most people is about seeing new and
interesting NICE places. He sailed right by Cold Spring Harbor to
anchor in Little Neck Harbor. He's still there, so this was more than
a quick overnight way point. Sort of like going camping by parking
your RV in the Walmart parking lot.