Default Bayside, Queens

Skip and Lydia sailed from their Friday night anchorage in Port Jeff,
straight down the rest of LIS non-stop, and are anchored in Little
Neck Bay just off the yacht club in Bayside, Queens. They're in the
big city now... Padlock your dinghy at all times!

They choose a strange place to anchor in Port Jefferson. I'll bet they
had a pretty roll-y night. I know several people gave them tips on
much better spots.

Hopefully we'll get a first hand report soon.

wrote in :

Padlock your dinghy at all times!

Won't the gunfire, screams and sirens keep them awake?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:28:30 +0000, Larry wrote:

wrote in :

Padlock your dinghy at all times!

Won't the gunfire, screams and sirens keep them awake?

Boaters are used to taking their dinghy to a dock, tieing it to a
cleat and going ashore with no worries. Where they are now, that's a
good way to get rid of a dinghy you don't want - in the blink of an
eye.

Vic Smith wrote in
:

It's all a little hazy.

Sounds somewhat like my recollection of Woodstock in '69...(c;

Anyone who actually "remembers" Woodstock must have been a cop or first
responder....or wasn't there.

It was probably best. I was 23. A few of us took leave from the Navy to
attend....

....none of us told them, of course, where we were going!

On 14 Sep 2008 21:02:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

I know quite a few people who HAVE sailed there that would disagree
with your assessment. It's not the Bronx, but it's not what Skip is
accustomed too, either.

Yes. I would have thought that City Island might have been preferable.

Little Neck Bay is fine for an overnight anchorage prior to getting an
early start down the East River - much better protection from the
prevailing winds and closer to Throggs Neck than City Island. I would
not moor a boat there permanently however. A friend of mine did that
for a few years back in the 80s and was broken into repeatedly.