Default Getting Oriented

79th st marina ,, a NY City run place, on the Hudson, west side Manhattan.

Cheap and worth it.. YOu can walk to the Empire State Building for coffee.

==
"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Hi, Salty, yours left below for Lydia...

We're just on the way to NYC, slow boating it, and would love
recommendations for places to visit inexpensively. We're
anchor-outers, not being able to afford moorings or dockage, and
do most of what we see, other than as chauffeured by locals we
know one way or another, by foot, or occasionally by bike.

So, anything along the way on either side of the sound is cool
for us. Thanks for your offer of local knowledge!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:53:34 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Getting Oriented

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

Any recommendations for anchorages, dinghy dock locations, things to
do, places to see??

Thanks in advance...

L8R

Skip

Orient Bay? Where is that? Are you talking about Orient Point? If so,
maybe you are thinking of the bay west of Orient Point on the inside?
That's just part of Gardiners Bay. Not terribly interesting, but I
guess you could anchor there. Personally, I'd go just a little farther
to Greenport. They have a city run pier on the west end of town that
is relatively inexpensive.

Greenport Town Dock (631) 702-4381

From there, you can walk around downtown Greenport, which is pretty
nice. Lots of interseting shops and some VERY good restaurants. The
best of the lot is called "The Frisky Oyster". Don't be fooled by the
goofy name. It's very sophisticated and high end. Like something you
would expect in a high rent area of NYC. There are other great
restaurants that are less "spendy". The Rhumb Line is pretty good.

Across from Greenport is another option - Dering Harbor, on the north
end of Shelter Island. I think you can find moorings there owned by
Picozzi's Marina for about $35-$40 a night. There may be room to
anchor. Personally, I'd rather do Greenport,

or, an even better option -

The really nice, quiet place to go in that area is the anchorage to
port, just inside Coecles (pronounced like "cockles") Harbor on
Shelter Island. It's surrounded by a wildlife refuge. Most of the
boats there during the day will leave at dusk and it becomess just a
very pretty, quiet place to spend a night, and maybe do some
gunkholing in the dinghy. Good holding and very protected on all
sides. From the anchorage, you can also take the dinghy up around the
little point and into the next little bay which leads to a channel
that ends in a town owned dock. from there you can walk a pleasant
half mile to a very eclectic, eccentric and wonderful restaurant
called "Planet Bliss". We never pass up an opportunity to eat there.

http://www.planet-bliss.com/

23 North Ferry Road (Rte. 114), Shelter Island
Phone (631) 749-0053/0887

posted and emailed

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:21:32 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

79th st marina ,, a NY City run place, on the Hudson, west side Manhattan.

Cheap and worth it.. YOu can walk to the Empire State Building for coffee.

Long walk through some tough neighborhoods - the Empire State Building
is at 34 Street and 5th Avenue. A better choice would be Zabar's Deli
at Broadway and 80th.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 02:15:22 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:42:14 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

So, anything along the way on either side of the sound is cool
for us. Thanks for your offer of local knowledge!

Thimble Islands, Norwalk Islands, Stamford Harbor on the CT side; Port
Jefferson, Oyster Bay.

You left out Zeiglers Cove between Norwalk and Darien. Just east of
Darien's Pear Tree Point (also known as Long Neck Point) and behind
Hay Island. It's a great place to tuck in for the night down that way.
After Labor day, you usually have it to yourself.

Port Jeff has a good anchorage near the entrance. it's off to port as
you enter and is marked "spoils" on the chart, but there is plenty of
water and good holding. You'll often see various semi-organized groups
of sailboats from yacht clubs there together in the summer. The crowds
should be gone now that school is back in session. Go ashore and enjoy
the nice, sandy beach. Climb Mt. Misery (Low and easy) and see the
panorama.

The anchorage at the head of Mattituck Inlet between Orient Point and
Port Jefferson, is another natural wonder. Lots of places to explore
by dinghy, and the town has a dinghy dock at the anchorage. They even
have FREE hot showers! A very short walk gets you to the very quaint
"Love Lane", which is a nice place to stroll around. Getting in
safely requires some specific knowledge, but it's still very access
able for boats that draw 6 feet. I could write out some guidance if
Skip is interested.

There is also a decent anchorage in Branford Harbor behind Big
Mermaid. Very good holding. Use Big Mermaid in your calculations to
act as a breakwater in rough weather. I sometimes anchor out there
just to get away from the dock the night before a cruise to get the
breeze and escape bugs. Fuel and all services are available in the
river. Free pumpout boat - hail Branford Pumpout Boat on channel 9

Once you get down in the Oyster Bay area, I think the nicest anchorage
is down in Cold Spring Harbor, which branches off from Oyster Bay.

Once you reach Little Neck Bay, you can still have a very nice time,
but it's decidedly urban, and time to start locking things, including
the dinghy when you go ashore. You won't get mugged, but petty thefts
are a problem, and dinghy's get "borrowed" by juvenile delinquents
frequently if left unattended and unlocked. You are in the big city at
that point.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:20:32 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:57:13 -0400, wrote:

You left out Zeiglers Cove between Norwalk and Darien. Just east of
Darien's Pear Tree Point (also known as Long Neck Point) and behind
Hay Island. It's a great place to tuck in for the night down that way.
After Labor day, you usually have it to yourself.

Yes, it is tiny though, and not exactly undiscovered.

That's why I mentioned "after Labor Day".

Bill Ziegler
III passed away recently after a life time of serious sail boat
racing. His daughter Heidi is married to well known sailmaker and
racing helmsman, Steve Benjamin.

Port Jeff has a good anchorage near the entrance. it's off to port as
you enter and is marked "spoils" on the chart, but there is plenty of
water and good holding. You'll often see various semi-organized groups
of sailboats from yacht clubs there together in the summer. The crowds
should be gone now that school is back in session. Go ashore and enjoy
the nice, sandy beach. Climb Mt. Misery (Low and easy) and see the
panorama.

We usually prefer off to starboard behind the beach, more room and
much quieter.

It would depend on how much Skip's boat draws. That side is not so
popular with the sailboat crowd. Many underwater mounds that are not
as much of a problem for power boats.

said:

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

You'll probably get this too late, but one of more beautiful and peaceful
places in the area is North Cove in Old Saybrook, where I keep my boat. Town
moorings are free, and you can dinghy to the town dock, but if you want
launch service, showers, etc., the yacht club charges $30 for those services
and access to the club. I don't recall what you draw, but if it's over 5
feet, you will have to be a couple of hours either side of low tide to moor
in the cove.

I was going to mention North Cove, but Skip's boat draws 6.5 feet.
Probably more than that loaded for cruising. It's a beautiful spot,
all right - and extremely sheltered. I wasn't aware that the town had
free moorings for transients. Is it "just grab one"? or do you need to
call somebody first? How are they marked?

On 2 Sep 2008 13:00:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:41:48 -0400, said:

I was going to mention North Cove, but Skip's boat draws 6.5 feet.
Probably more than that loaded for cruising. It's a beautiful spot,
all right - and extremely sheltered. I wasn't aware that the town had
free moorings for transients. Is it "just grab one"? or do you need to
call somebody first? How are they marked?

When the mooring holder leaves for more than a few days, he is supposed to
put a yellow ribbon on his mooring. You can pick up any mooring with a
yellow ribbon. If you don't see one, the North Cove YC launch driver
monitors 78A, and will more than likely direct you to an empty mooring even
if you don't avail yourself of the club's services.

If I were coming as a visitor, I'd take the launch service and shower
facilities for $30. If you're coming back after the launch stops at 8:00 you
can always tow your dinghy in behind the launch. But YMMV.

I agree that 6.5 feet would be problematic. I think we may have one boat in
the cove that draws that. I draw 5.5, and sometimes have difficulty getting
to my mooring if I'm within 2 hours of low tide. Next year that should
change. There were three bids on the proposed dredging of the cove, and we
should know in about a week. Word is that we may not get it dredged to the
full 11 ft. originally planned, but should get at least a partial dredging.
I look forward to it.

Thanks, Dave. That might come in very handy one of these days.

I bet there are a lot of folks who will be very happy when North Cove
finally gets dredged. It's getting pretty thin in there! I know of at
least one sailor who had to give up and find a new home at great
expense when dredging kept getting put off. I think he draws a bit
more than you do. I doubt he'd ever be able to come back, as the
waiting list is pretty long.