Default Getting Oriented

Getting Oriented

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

Any recommendations for anchorages, dinghy dock locations, things to
do, places to see??

Thanks in advance...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 31, 6:53*am, "Skip Gundlach" wrote:
Getting Oriented

Thanks in advance...

Skip Flying Pig

Sorry Skip I got to watch the AVP Crocs beach VOLLEY BALL
tourney...................

Ummmmm May and Walsh

We're in Sag Harbor off Shelter Island. Very pretty, quaint little
town. Did I mention pricey too??

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:53:34 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Getting Oriented

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

While you are still in the CT River you *must* stop at Essex, arguably
the crown jewell of the entire region. You can get a mooring with
launch service for about $30/night, or anchor on the east side of the
channel next to Nott Island. Go into town, walk around, find the Olde
Griswold Inn on the main street. It's a classic, usually with free
entertainment and popcorn in the bar, and a really fine collection of
old steamship prints.

wrote:

Getting Oriented

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

Any recommendations for anchorages, dinghy dock locations, things to
do, places to see??

Thanks in advance...

L8R

Skip

Orient Bay? Where is that? Are you talking about Orient Point? If so,
maybe you are thinking of the bay west of Orient Point on the inside?
That's just part of Gardiners Bay. Not terribly interesting, but I
guess you could anchor there. Personally, I'd go just a little farther
to Greenport. They have a city run pier on the west end of town that
is relatively inexpensive.

Greenport Town Dock (631) 702-4381

From there, you can walk around downtown Greenport, which is pretty
nice. Lots of interseting shops and some VERY good restaurants. The
best of the lot is called "The Frisky Oyster". Don't be fooled by the
goofy name. It's very sophisticated and high end. Like something you
would expect in a high rent area of NYC. There are other great
restaurants that are less "spendy". The Rhumb Line is pretty good.

Across from Greenport is another option - Dering Harbor, on the north
end of Shelter Island. I think you can find moorings there owned by
Picozzi's Marina for about $35-$40 a night. There may be room to
anchor. Personally, I'd rather do Greenport,

or, an even better option -

The really nice, quiet place to go in that area is the anchorage to
port, just inside Coecles (pronounced like "cockles") Harbor on
Shelter Island. It's surrounded by a wildlife refuge. Most of the
boats there during the day will leave at dusk and it becomess just a
very pretty, quiet place to spend a night, and maybe do some
gunkholing in the dinghy. Good holding and very protected on all
sides. From the anchorage, you can also take the dinghy up around the
little point and into the next little bay which leads to a channel
that ends in a town owned dock. from there you can walk a pleasant
half mile to a very eclectic, eccentric and wonderful restaurant
called "Planet Bliss". We never pass up an opportunity to eat there.

http://www.planet-bliss.com/

23 North Ferry Road (Rte. 114), Shelter Island
Phone (631) 749-0053/0887

posted and emailed

wrote:

Getting Oriented

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

While you are still in the CT River you *must* stop at Essex, arguably
the crown jewell of the entire region. You can get a mooring with
launch service for about $30/night, or anchor on the east side of the
channel next to Nott Island. Go into town, walk around, find the Olde
Griswold Inn on the main street. It's a classic, usually with free
entertainment and popcorn in the bar, and a really fine collection of
old steamship prints.

Sailors tend to gravitate towards the Black Seal in Essex. The Gris is
very nice, too, but a little on the stuffy side and a lot more
expensive by comparison. Either place is absolutely worth a visit,
regardless.

Hi, Salty, yours left below for Lydia...

We're just on the way to NYC, slow boating it, and would love
recommendations for places to visit inexpensively. We're
anchor-outers, not being able to afford moorings or dockage, and
do most of what we see, other than as chauffeured by locals we
know one way or another, by foot, or occasionally by bike.

So, anything along the way on either side of the sound is cool
for us. Thanks for your offer of local knowledge!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."

--

wrote:

[...]

From there, you can walk around downtown Greenport, which is pretty
[...]

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:42:14 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

So, anything along the way on either side of the sound is cool
for us. Thanks for your offer of local knowledge!

Thimble Islands, Norwalk Islands, Stamford Harbor on the CT side; Port
Jefferson, Oyster Bay, Manhasset Bay and Little Neck Bay on the NY
side.