Default Getting Oriented

On 2 Sep 2008 10:19:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:09:54 -0400, Wayne.B
said:

Long walk through some tough neighborhoods - the Empire State Building
is at 34 Street and 5th Avenue.

You're a bit behind the times. May have been the case 25 years ago. Today I
can't think of much I'd call "rough" between the 79th St. boat basin and
34th St. But from 79th to 34th I'd spring for the bus or subway.

I guess it depends somewhat on what route you take. I've never been
keen on walking through the Hell's Kitchen area even though I have
done it a few times. It's been a while for me, perhaps Rudy cleaned
things up a bit.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:57:13 -0400, wrote:

Climb Mt. Misery (Low and easy) and see the
panorama.

Is Mt Misery related to Heartbreak Ridge? I mean, did soldiers name it
that after bleeding a lot there?

Casady

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:29:04 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

Dredging harms the Sound:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/environmentdec/19094.html

It should be even more restricted.

First you would have to have some idea what you are talking about,
which you obviously do not.

Yes, it's true. You can't just indiscriminately run around dredging
and dumping haphazardly. You need to know what you are digging up, and
where it can be put down without causing trouble. Norwalk Harbor is a
good example. It's the Norwalk River, which for a couple hundred years
was the repository for a lot of very dirty factory's excrement. These
days, not all dredged material is allowed to be dumped ANYWHERE in the
water. It has to be trucked inland away from the watershed and handled
appropriately.

North Cove is not likely to contain anything harmful. I'm sure they
will check, anyway. It's a small isolated harbor with pretty much
nothing immediately surrounding it other than a few homes and a
seasonal yacht club. The Connecticut runs past it, carrying tons of
filth directly into the Sound 24/7/365. You could probably use what
they dredge out of North Cove for fill in your vegetable garden.

In the overall scheme of things, all dredging combined isn't even a
blip on the RADAR compared with what gets dumped in the LIS daily by
hundreds of communities, as they have been doing since bar bands
consisted only of fifes and snare drums.

http://www.worldmaritimenews.com/art...ing+north+cove

Seems the tax payers are footing the bill for a few wealthy boat owners.
Probably about $500,000+ per owner.

Plus they're dumping the sludge back into the Sound only 4.5 miles away.

Why don't those who directly benefit from this bear the full cost?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.activism

"Mike" wrote in message

http://www.worldmaritimenews.com/art...ing+north+cove

Seems the tax payers are footing the bill for a few wealthy boat owners.
Probably about $500,000+ per owner.

Plus they're dumping the sludge back into the Sound only 4.5 miles away.

Why don't those who directly benefit from this bear the full cost?

This is indeed troubling... dredging the bottom of the Long Island Sound and
pouring it back into the water just so a few rich yachties can park even
larger yachts all at taxpayer expense?

Smells fishy to me.

Sounds like a call to eco-action!

Be heard and spread the word!

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.activism

It's hilarious:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g.html?ca t=5

Quote:

The passage of a Fiscal Year 2008 Omnibus Appropriations Bill totaling
almost $51 million includes many earmarks benefiting Courtney's district,
which includes most of Eastern Connecticut.

"Eastern Connecticut is home to many exciting technological initiatives and
to some very dire infrastructure needs, which I am proud to be able to
address in this appropriations bill," said Courtney. "The new Democratic-led
majority has kept its promise to restore fiscal responsibility in Washington
while continuing to support our local priorities with new federal funding."

Some of the funds have been earmarked for much needed dredging of various
waterways in the region. Among those receiving funding, Old Saybrook's North
Cove is expected to receive $4,433,000 to be used for testing, planning, and
permitting of dredge work of Old Saybrook's North Cove.

Courtney's office reported that the cove was last dredged in 1965 and funds
will allow the harbor to be restored to its authorized depths by dredging
and properly disposing of those materials.

"very dire infrastructure needs"

"Democratic led majority"

"restore fiscal responsibility"

"new federal funding"

"earmarks"

Are failing bridges a more "dire infrastructure need" than a slightly
shallow yacht basin?

Funding playgrounds for the wealthy to "restore fiscal responsibility"?

"Earmarks"?

It's political payback for wealthy donors. $51 million would have provided
basic health care for many poor people in need or job training for those
unemployed but it's not a priority. The company doing the dredging will be
owned by Democrats and have union labor. This is of no benefit to the
average American or the common good.

On 4 Sep 2008 12:36:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:49:39 -0600, "Mike" said:

This is of no benefit to the
average American or the common good.

Yeah. Tough ****, isn't it. Fortunately, you and your friends were asleep at
the switch when hearings were held on the project.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:49:39 -0600, "Mike" said:

This is of no benefit to the
average American or the common good.

Yeah. Tough ****, isn't it. Fortunately, you and your friends were asleep
at
the switch when hearings were held on the project.

Tough **** for who? I don't have to moor my boat almost 100 miles from where
I live.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:40:38 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:49:39 -0600, "Mike" said:

This is of no benefit to the
average American or the common good.

Yeah. Tough ****, isn't it. Fortunately, you and your friends were asleep
at
the switch when hearings were held on the project.

Tough **** for who? I don't have to moor my boat almost 100 miles from where
I live.

Dave could easily have his boat much closer to where he lives.
Instead, he realizes the value in keeping it in an amazingly beautiful
and protected anchorage directly adjacent to some of the best sailing
grounds on the entire east coast. He also has strong ties to the area
because he used to live there. If it wasn't so shallow, I probably
would have put myself on the waiting list there many years ago.

And if you are going to calculate the "price per yacht" for the
dredging, be fair and divided by the number of yachts times the number
of years (50) between dredgings. And yes, those wealthy *******s DO
spend a lot of money in the area, and create jobs, making it worth
dredging every 50 years or so, whether it needs it or not. It is also
a designated Federal Harbor of refuge.