Default Getting Oriented

wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:40:38 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:49:39 -0600, "Mike"
said:

This is of no benefit to the
average American or the common good.

Yeah. Tough ****, isn't it. Fortunately, you and your friends were
asleep
at
the switch when hearings were held on the project.

Tough **** for who? I don't have to moor my boat almost 100 miles from
where
I live.

Dave could easily have his boat much closer to where he lives.
Instead, he realizes the value in keeping it in an amazingly beautiful
and protected anchorage directly adjacent to some of the best sailing
grounds on the entire east coast. He also has strong ties to the area
because he used to live there. If it wasn't so shallow, I probably
would have put myself on the waiting list there many years ago.

That's all very nice but still doesn't change the fact it is 100 miles away.

And if you are going to calculate the "price per yacht" for the
dredging, be fair and divided by the number of yachts times the number
of years (50) between dredgings. And yes, those wealthy *******s DO
spend a lot of money in the area, and create jobs, making it worth
dredging every 50 years or so, whether it needs it or not. It is also
a designated Federal Harbor of refuge.

So tax breaks and perks from the Federal Government to the "rich" are ok
with you?

On 6 Sep 2008 13:01:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:19:17 -0400, said:

And if you are going to calculate the "price per yacht" for the
dredging, be fair and divided by the number of yachts times the number
of years (50) between dredgings. And yes, those wealthy *******s DO
spend a lot of money in the area, and create jobs, making it worth
dredging every 50 years or so, whether it needs it or not. It is also
a designated Federal Harbor of refuge.

I was tempted to get into the merits of the project, but it was clear to me
the Mike is simply your typical empty-headed rabble-rouser, making the
exercise useless.

I'm sure he means well. He just stopped when he got enough facts to
support one side of the story. If he had kept going until he had ALL
the facts, he might have reached a different conclusion. He would have
at least understood that as something that harms the LIS, this
particular dredging project doesn't even make the list.

As you know, I'm a staunch environmentalist. I never even water my
lawn. Every year, I take out another section of it and plant either
things to eat, or ground cover that holds in moisture and doesn't
require any fertilizers or other maintenance. Lawns and agriculture
are a BIG factor in damage to the LIS. The runoff from miles away ends
up in the LIS. I'm on top of a very high hill not far from the
Connecticut River. That river flows right into the Sound. Fortunately,
after years of procrastination, my town and a few others have
completed sewer separation projects so that not as much filth makes
it's way down the river, especially when it rains and the old system
couldn't handle the overflow.