[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Getting Oriented

On 2 Sep 2008 13:00:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:41:48 -0400, said:

I was going to mention North Cove, but Skip's boat draws 6.5 feet.
Probably more than that loaded for cruising. It's a beautiful spot,
all right - and extremely sheltered. I wasn't aware that the town had
free moorings for transients. Is it "just grab one"? or do you need to
call somebody first? How are they marked?

When the mooring holder leaves for more than a few days, he is supposed to
put a yellow ribbon on his mooring. You can pick up any mooring with a
yellow ribbon. If you don't see one, the North Cove YC launch driver
monitors 78A, and will more than likely direct you to an empty mooring even
if you don't avail yourself of the club's services.

If I were coming as a visitor, I'd take the launch service and shower
facilities for $30. If you're coming back after the launch stops at 8:00 you
can always tow your dinghy in behind the launch. But YMMV.

I agree that 6.5 feet would be problematic. I think we may have one boat in
the cove that draws that. I draw 5.5, and sometimes have difficulty getting
to my mooring if I'm within 2 hours of low tide. Next year that should
change. There were three bids on the proposed dredging of the cove, and we
should know in about a week. Word is that we may not get it dredged to the
full 11 ft. originally planned, but should get at least a partial dredging.
I look forward to it.

Thanks, Dave. That might come in very handy one of these days.

I bet there are a lot of folks who will be very happy when North Cove
finally gets dredged. It's getting pretty thin in there! I know of at
least one sailor who had to give up and find a new home at great
expense when dredging kept getting put off. I think he draws a bit
more than you do. I doubt he'd ever be able to come back, as the
waiting list is pretty long.