[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Getting Oriented

On 2 Sep 2008 10:08:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:53:34 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
said:

So, we're currently in Deep River/Old River (up the CT river at any
rate) and are going to Orient Bay on Long Island, next.

You'll probably get this too late, but one of more beautiful and peaceful
places in the area is North Cove in Old Saybrook, where I keep my boat. Town
moorings are free, and you can dinghy to the town dock, but if you want
launch service, showers, etc., the yacht club charges $30 for those services
and access to the club. I don't recall what you draw, but if it's over 5
feet, you will have to be a couple of hours either side of low tide to moor
in the cove.

I was going to mention North Cove, but Skip's boat draws 6.5 feet.
Probably more than that loaded for cruising. It's a beautiful spot,
all right - and extremely sheltered. I wasn't aware that the town had
free moorings for transients. Is it "just grab one"? or do you need to
call somebody first? How are they marked?