Default Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:46:54 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia" wrote

Hi Roger, no requirement unless you stay 45 or more consecutive days.

I definitely plan to so I've got to find out what they will accept from a
state that doesn't issue the kind of documentation they describe.

Sounds like this might be your out:

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who

(c) was born before April 2, 1983, has proof of age on board and
operates a pleasure craft of at least 4 m in length before September
15, 2009; or

wrote:

"Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia" wrote

Hi Roger, no requirement unless you stay 45 or more consecutive days.

I definitely plan to so I've got to find out what they will accept from a
state that doesn't issue the kind of documentation they describe.

I could put in a good word for you, and also mention that your knees
and back were transplanted from a thirty year old.

--
Roger Long

Hello again Roger, it appears to me theat you can get yourself a
Canadian-issued pleasure craft operator card:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/deb..._visitor.htm#g

"Acceptable Proof of Competency for Non-Residents
For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:

A Canadian-issued pleasure craft operator card.
A completed boat rental safety check-list (for power-driven rental
boats).
An operator card or equivalent that meets the requirements of their
state or country.
For more information, consult the Competency of Operators of Pleasure
Craft Regulations."

This wording suggest to me a non resident can have a Canadian issued
card. The pleasure craft operator cards are easy enough to get
online as the course is available through several vendors such as:

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/?gc...FRhhnAodfUctQQ

http://www.theoperatorcard.ca/

http://www.boaterlicences.com/?gclid...FQsiIgodSFYRQw

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia" wrote

Hi Roger, no requirement unless you stay 45 or more consecutive days.

I definitely plan to so I've got to find out what they will accept from a
state that doesn't issue the kind of documentation they describe.

--
Roger Long

Roger... do you have a local Power Squadron in your area?
What a great way to pass the dreary winters in your area(and mine).
You'll probably even meet some new long term friends.
I've just run into a lady i took the Piloting course with. We both walk our
dogs in the same part.
She's still sailing (trying to sell her J-24 to buy a Viking 28 while I'm
reduced to operating an open 15' aluminum boat these days)

"Don White" wrote

Roger... do you have a local Power Squadron in your area?

I don't think a Power Squadron certificate counts as state or federally
issued.

--
Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote

(c) was born before April 2, 1983, has proof of age on board and
operates a pleasure craft of at least 4 m in length before September
15, 2009; or

I'm OK for next year but it is the year after that I expect to be there more
than 45 days.

It's a bit ambiguous though. Do you think it means that you just have to
have prior operating experience of a boat over 4 M if you were born before
1983?

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Don White" wrote

Roger... do you have a local Power Squadron in your area?

I don't think a Power Squadron certificate counts as state or federally
issued.

--
Roger Long

Up here the CPS group has been appointed by the gov't to run the course and
examine applicants for the Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
Way back in 2000 we wrote two exams on the same night after completing 'The
Boating Course'.
The first, shorter test was for the Operator Card, and the longer test was
to receive our diploma for the Boating Course and an invitation to join the
CPS.
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/public.asp?WCE=A=Body|C=11|RefreshS=Container|Refr eshT=224455|K=224455

On Aug 30, 9:25*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

(c) was born before April 2, 1983, has proof of age on board and
operates a pleasure craft of at least 4 m in length before September
15, 2009; or

I'm OK for next year but it is the year after that I expect to be there more
than 45 days.

It's a bit ambiguous though. *Do you think it means that you just have to
have prior operating experience of a boat over 4 M if you were born before
1983?

--
Roger Long

No, this means up to September 15, 2009 a card is not required if you
are more than 16 years old (by April 2, 2009) and your boat is 4 or
more metres long. After September 15, 2009 everyone has to have the
card if the boat has a motor (rental checklists, etc. excepted).

Do you know of the CPS will issue cards to US citizens or if the USPS
certificate is considered equivelent and acceptable?

Just curious at this point. I'm certainly going to have something in
writing before I show up to clear customs with 90 days of cruising planned.

--
Roger Long

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote

I could put in a good word for you, and also mention that your knees
and back were transplanted from a thirty year old.

Please do although I wouldn't fudge the truth with the transplant bit.

Actually though, in a summer of some of some ambitious coastal cruising (by
Maine standards anyway)

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/GEfile...er08Cruise.kml

the full extent of what are considered normal cruising grounds in this part
of the world including the wilder portions thereof, my back and knees have
felt far better than in my previous three years of sailing. I feel younger
than when I first bought the boat. The enforced rest and therapy, together
with three seasons of nearly daily sailing and two off seasons of extensive
work on the boat, have definitely turned the clock back a bit.

Some of it though is being aware and smarter. When the anchor is really dug
in, I don't just grab on and heave while still stiff in the morning. First
trick is to take the rode back to the midships cleat and get as much tension
on it as possible. I then can put a powerful swig on it by pulling up in
the middle. If the water is shallow and it's mostly chain aboard, I've made
up a tackle with a chain hook. The other end has a loop that I throw around
a winch on the mast. Swigging the fall from a bow cleat creates a pretty
good lift. If I'm motoring off the hook, I can just go ahead on the up and
down rode but I often like to sail away without using the engine.

--
Roger Long

Power or sail Frogwatch General 4 March 4th 07 06:08 PM
Power & Sail-How many of you? Capt. Rob Cruising 4 November 5th 06 12:38 AM
Closet Power Boater Capt.Mooron ASA 18 January 20th 06 08:09 PM
Recreational power boat choice Sean Boat Building 5 July 14th 03 03:09 PM