Default Power and Sail Squadron recreational boater qualifications.

By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Been touch with rep. of the Power and Sail Squad. and one of the
claims made is that their course, unlike some of the more
straightforward 'Boating Safety' courses, is the only one that
qualifies for operating a boat in both Canada and USA. While that is
unlikely in short term it could be a significant advantage.

They also have a 12 week one evening per week course which is more
comprehensive which includes the the above qualification.

Any advice regarding this would be most appreciated. It is many years
since did any actual sailing.

Terry

Presently refitting our 26 foot Westerly Tiger; sal****er, out of
Newfoundland, Canada.

"terry" wrote in message
By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Been touch with rep. of the Power and Sail Squad. and one of the
claims made is that their course, unlike some of the more
straightforward 'Boating Safety' courses, is the only one that
qualifies for operating a boat in both Canada and USA. While that is
unlikely in short term it could be a significant advantage.

They also have a 12 week one evening per week course which is more
comprehensive which includes the the above qualification.

Any advice regarding this would be most appreciated. It is many years
since did any actual sailing.

Terry

Presently refitting our 26 foot Westerly Tiger; sal****er, out of
Newfoundland, Canada.

Nothing wrong with taking a class. The best thing would be to take the
onshore class coupled with an aboard class. As far as I know, there's no US
requirement for a class to operate a sailboat unless you have paying guests
or it's a commercial situation. There might be insurance issues, and some
states may have specific requirements, of course.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"terry" wrote

By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Do you know if there will be any requirements for visiting cruisers such as
having an equivelent certificater or training in their home country?

--
Roger Long

"terry" wrote in message
By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Been touch with rep. of the Power and Sail Squad. and one of the
claims made is that their course, unlike some of the more
straightforward 'Boating Safety' courses, is the only one that
qualifies for operating a boat in both Canada and USA. While that is
unlikely in short term it could be a significant advantage.

They also have a 12 week one evening per week course which is more
comprehensive which includes the the above qualification.

Any advice regarding this would be most appreciated. It is many years
since did any actual sailing.

Terry

Presently refitting our 26 foot Westerly Tiger; sal****er, out of
Newfoundland, Canada.

Great way to spend our cold damp winters.
Way back in 2000 I started with the Boating Course at the Halifax Squadron,
took the Piloting, and Advanced Piloting courses and fit in the VHF and GPS
seminars in between.
I've been lazy since 2002.... but have kept my dues up and plan on getting
back in the saddle one of these days.

"terry" wrote in message
By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Been touch with rep. of the Power and Sail Squad. and one of the
claims made is that their course, unlike some of the more
straightforward 'Boating Safety' courses, is the only one that
qualifies for operating a boat in both Canada and USA. While that is
unlikely in short term it could be a significant advantage.

They also have a 12 week one evening per week course which is more
comprehensive which includes the the above qualification.

Any advice regarding this would be most appreciated. It is many years
since did any actual sailing.

Terry

Presently refitting our 26 foot Westerly Tiger; sal****er, out of
Newfoundland, Canada.

I did the power squadron course a couple years back.. and I remembered
how much I had forgot..

It was a great course. Very informative. I'm glad I took it.

On Aug 29, 3:31*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
"terry" wrote

By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Do you know if there will be any requirements for visiting cruisers such as
having an equivelent certificater or training in their home country?

--
Roger Long

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/deb...ck_visitor.htm

-- Tom.

On Aug 29, 7:31*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
"terry" wrote

By end 2009 Canadian all recreational boaters will be required to
possess suitable qualifications.

Do you know if there will be any requirements for visiting cruisers such as
having an equivelent certificater or training in their home country?

--
Roger Long

Hi Roger, no requirement unless you stay 45 or more consecutive days.

I looked it up at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...08/csa108.html

A quote: See 3. (2) (b) below:

3. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate a pleasure
craft unless the person

(a) is competent to operate the pleasure craft in accordance with
section 4; and

(b) has proof of competency on board.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who

(a) is operating the pleasure craft under the supervision of an
instructor, as part of an accredited course;

(b) is not a resident of Canada and whose pleasure craft is in Canada
for less than 45 consecutive days; or

(c) was born before April 2, 1983, has proof of age on board and
operates a pleasure craft of at least 4 m in length before September
15, 2009; or

(d) has proof on board that they hold a MED-A4 certificate or any
certificate referred to in paragraphs 2(a) to (s), (z.18) or (z.43) of
the Marine Certification Regulations.

wrote

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/deb...ck_visitor.htm

According to this, if I want to spent more than 45 days operating in Canada
(quite likely if I want to see Newfoundland), I have to have proof of
competency in three forms, one of which only appears applicable if I charter
a boat up there. So...

Take a Canadian boating course. or get (quote):

An operator card or equivalent that meets the requirements of their state or
country.

My state and country do not issue such cards except for USCG licenses. Now
what do I do?

Interesting aside: It appears that in most of Canada alcohol can only be
consumed on boats with permanent sleeping and cooking facilities while they
are tied to a dock. That would be the end of life as we know it for most
boaters here in the US although it wouldn't change my habits any.

--
Roger Long

"Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia" wrote

Hi Roger, no requirement unless you stay 45 or more consecutive days.

I definitely plan to so I've got to find out what they will accept from a
state that doesn't issue the kind of documentation they describe.

--
Roger Long

On Aug 30, 12:41*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
My state and country do not *issue such cards except for USCG licenses. *Now
what do I do? ...

Apparently you can "challenge" the test. You only need to get 75%
correct and the book from which they are testing is on the web site I
linked. It might be something you could do when you check in. If
you've got a current Merchant Marine ticket of some sort or any state
recreational boater's cred I suspect that would do. I recall that
some states grant licenses over the net. Maybe you could shoot
Transport Canada an email or call them:

-- Tom.

Power or sail Frogwatch General 4 March 4th 07 06:08 PM
Power & Sail-How many of you? Capt. Rob Cruising 4 November 5th 06 12:38 AM
Closet Power Boater Capt.Mooron ASA 18 January 20th 06 08:09 PM
Recreational power boat choice Sean Boat Building 5 July 14th 03 03:09 PM