Default Mystical thoughts

wrote

It's the smaller boats that got squeezed
out, not the bog boats that caused the problem in the first place.

Have you thought about which size boats are more likely to have owners and
guests who can make large donations?

It's just like most other things in society. The big cause the problems and
the small pay for them.

--
Roger Long

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:52:39 -0400, "Roger Long"
said:

It's just like most other things in society. The big cause the problems
and
the small pay for them.

That depends very much on what you define as the problem. Is the problem
insufficient donations to support the Seaport, or is it the absence of
cheap
dockage?

Is the problem with medical care the high cost of hospital visits, or is
it
the fact that a lot of people don't pay for those visits?

It's definitely the fact that a lot of people don't pay for hospital visits,
because they can't afford to do so. We should definitely blame them. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:23:51 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

That depends very much on what you define as the problem. Is the problem
insufficient donations to support the Seaport, or is it the absence of
cheap
dockage?

Is the problem with medical care the high cost of hospital visits, or is
it
the fact that a lot of people don't pay for those visits?

It's definitely the fact that a lot of people don't pay for hospital
visits,
because they can't afford to do so. We should definitely blame them. LOL

If I hand out free candy on the street, and a lot of people eat it and rot
their teeth, is the problem that I'm handing out free candy, or that too
many people are eating free candy and rotting their teeth?

The problem is that you're not charging enough! LOL

It sounds like you would support tobacco companies. They're doing much the
same thing. Perhaps we should let the market decide.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:38:38 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

It's definitely the fact that a lot of people don't pay for hospital
visits,
because they can't afford to do so. We should definitely blame them. LOL

If I hand out free candy on the street, and a lot of people eat it and
rot
their teeth, is the problem that I'm handing out free candy, or that too
many people are eating free candy and rotting their teeth?

The problem is that you're not charging enough! LOL

Perhaps the light is beginning to dawn on you, Jon. Hand out candy for
free,
and somebody still has to pay to produce that candy. And if the candy
maker
hopes not to lose his shirt he has to charge more for the candy he sells
people who pay for it. Eventually, the folks who pay for it figure out
that
they can get their candy for free. See if you can figure out what happens
at
that point to the candy maker.

He becomes a tobacco manufacturer of course. LOL

What you're not seeing is that there's nothing wrong with charging for
services. What's wrong is that some people can't afford them. In the case of
candy, should you charge for it, it's not essential to the common good.
(Remember that phrase?) Medical services for all are essential for the
common good. In fact, if we don't supply them at an affordable price, then
the burden on society is great, which is in opposition to the common good.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:06:22 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

What you're not seeing is that there's nothing wrong with charging for
services. What's wrong is that some people can't afford them. In the case
of
candy, should you charge for it, it's not essential to the common good.
(Remember that phrase?) Medical services for all are essential for the
common good. In fact, if we don't supply them at an affordable price, then
the burden on society is great, which is in opposition to the common good.

I take back what I said about your beginning to see the light.

You should. I'm already enlightened!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-08-28 19:35:57 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

"Dave" wrote in message

I take back what I said about your beginning to see the light.

You should. I'm already enlightened!

In your dreams, only.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-08-28 19:35:57 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

"Dave" wrote in message

I take back what I said about your beginning to see the light.

You should. I'm already enlightened!

In your dreams, only.

--
Jere Lull

Only if you say so...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

This is what selected sections of the museum site says

RADIO CONTACT
The Dock Office monitors radio channel 68 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., July
1 through Labor Day.
PHONE CONTACT
860.572.5391
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday, year round
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Daily, July and August

Arrival and Departure

Arrive any time after the 1:40 p.m. Mystic River Bascule Bridge
opening. Please depart prior to 1:40 p.m.

Please check in at the Dock Office after arrival.

The Dock Office is located at the head of the Dunton and Sabino Dock.
Dock attendants are on duty at check-in location 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.,
July 1 through Labor Day.

To Get Here

Use US chart #13214 and pay strict attention to the buoys. The channel
is narrow and twisting; shoals abound just outside the channel.

The Mystic River Railroad Bridge will open on call, unless a train is
expected. The Mystic River Bascule Bridge (Route 1) opens at 20
minutes before each hour from 7:40 a.m. until 6:40 p.m. The Bascule
Bridge opens on call prior to 7:40 a.m. and after 6:40 p.m. Both
bridges monitor radio channels 9 and 13.

Due to an ever-increasing demand for our limited dock space,
reservations cannot be confirmed without a deposit of $100 or one
night’s dockage, whichever is less. Credit card deposits can be taken
by phone at 860-572-5391. Written reservation requests should be
accompanied by a check. Unless a late arrival is prearranged,
reservations are held until the 5:40 p.m. bridge opening

2008 Rates

Mariner Members
$2.75 per foot (LOA) (Includes Museum admission for members' guests
arriving aboard)
Sustaining Members & Higher Categories
$2.75 per foot (LOA) (Includes Museum admission for members' guests
arriving aboard and your second night of 2-night stay is free once per
season.)
Individual, Dual, and Family Members and Non-Members
$3.75 per foot (Includes Museum admission for those aboard)

All levels of Membership receive free dockage October 15 through April
30, except Saturday nights; two (2) nights maximum per visit.

ANCHORING
Please note that there is limited anchorage above the Mystic River
Bascule Bridge. Water outside the channel is very shallow, and Federal
law strictly prohibits anchoring in the channel. Anchoring in the
areas designated for Mystic Seaport exhibit craft is also prohibited.
Boarding exhibit ships or craft is not permitted after hours.

HEADS / SHOWERS
Heads and showers are located at the North Gate. A similar facility,
with a laundry machine, is available at the south end of the property
in the Shipyard area. (Please do not hang laundry on your boat while
at Mystic Seaport.)

The Mystic River is a no discharge zone. Use shoreside toilet
facilities or holding tank aboard. Free pump out facilities for
visiting yachts are located at our pump-out dock in the Shipyard at
the end of the Museum. Contact the Dock Office at 860.572.5391.

FAUCETS / OUTLETS
The wharves are equipped with freshwater faucets and 110-volt AC
electric outlet boxes at convenient locations. A limited number of
220-volt outlets are available.

ICE
If you wish to buy ice, contact a dock attendant or the Dock Office.

RECYCLING
Cans and bottles must be separated from trash and placed in labeled
barrels throughout docking areas.

TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Telephone numbers for such services as taxi, engine repairs and
general local information are available at the Dock Office.

AIS thoughts Gordon Cruising 8 August 19th 08 06:01 PM
a few thoughts... knu2xs General 0 April 9th 06 06:41 AM
a few thoughts... knu2xs Touring 0 April 9th 06 06:41 AM
Second thoughts Joe ASA 0 September 2nd 04 04:59 PM
Any thoughts Steven Bennett Touring 8 April 15th 04 03:37 PM