Default Mystical thoughts

Hiya, y'all,

Having had no response to those wanting me to keep a minimum of US
warship separation, I wonder if there are Mystic, CT dwellers here.

We think we'll be in Mystic toward the end of the week or more likely
the weekend/Monday-ish. We'll keep the required distance from any
giving us notice, but would enjoy visitors from the less squeamish
:{))

From our many charts (Bob!) - paper and electronic - we can't see how
we can anchor in the area of the downtown/museum area (or, for that
matter,exactly where it is, though I believe both are near the swing
bridge.

We'd also like to get to WalMart, and see there are a couple in the
area, and wonder (assuming we can solve the above), what the best
public transport might be to achieve that, if any.

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop
me a note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot
com...

TIA

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:55:47 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Hiya, y'all,

Having had no response to those wanting me to keep a minimum of US
warship separation, I wonder if there are Mystic, CT dwellers here.

We think we'll be in Mystic toward the end of the week or more likely
the weekend/Monday-ish. We'll keep the required distance from any
giving us notice, but would enjoy visitors from the less squeamish
:{))

From our many charts (Bob!) - paper and electronic - we can't see how
we can anchor in the area of the downtown/museum area (or, for that
matter,exactly where it is, though I believe both are near the swing
bridge.

We'd also like to get to WalMart, and see there are a couple in the
area, and wonder (assuming we can solve the above), what the best
public transport might be to achieve that, if any.

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop
me a note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot
com...

TIA

There won't be any place to anchor on the river, Skip. Noank Village
Boatyard has moorings. $1.50 per foot per night. Free launch service 7
days a week with mooring. Run by very nice folks.

By Radio: VHF Channel 72
By Phone: 1-860-536-1770

email:

You can also dinghy up river to the town dinghy dock just below the
bascule bridge. That's directly in downtown. Not sure about buses to
Walmart, but there are local taxis.

There are many marinas on the river, and some have similar names.
Noank Shipyard is NOT Noank Village boatyard!

If you have any more questions about the area, email me at
charliewmorgan at aim dot com

wrote:

Hiya, y'all,

Having had no response to those wanting me to keep a minimum of US
warship separation, I wonder if there are Mystic, CT dwellers here.

We think we'll be in Mystic toward the end of the week or more likely
the weekend/Monday-ish. We'll keep the required distance from any
giving us notice, but would enjoy visitors from the less squeamish
:{))

From our many charts (Bob!) - paper and electronic - we can't see how
[...]

(posted and emailed)

On 27 Aug 2008 18:48:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:26:04 -0400, said:

There won't be any place to anchor on the river, Skip. Noank Village
Boatyard has moorings. $1.50 per foot per night. Free launch service 7
days a week with mooring. Run by very nice folks.

By Radio: VHF Channel 72
By Phone: 1-860-536-1770

email:

You can also dinghy up river to the town dinghy dock just below the
bascule bridge. That's directly in downtown. Not sure about buses to
Walmart, but there are local taxis.

Both North Cove Yacht Club and Duck Island Yacht club have mini-cruises
going to Mystic this weekend, so places very close to the village may be
problematic.

During the "season" it's always smart to call ahead! That sort of
thing happens a lot, as Mystic is a very attractive destination for
groups. Noank Village Boatyard is down river, and has about 120
moorings near the mouth. That's still less than a 2 mile dinghy ride
to the downtown dinghy dock. The same folks who own Noank Village
Boatyard also own Mystic Shipyard, further up, but they only have
slips there. I don't think Skip is prepared for the high slip fees in
this part of the world!

Noank Shipyard is downriver and has somewhat fewer moorings.

Note that some of these marinas have confusingly similar names. Noank
Shipyard is not owned by the folks who own Noank Village Boatyard and
Mystic Shipyard.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

It's easy to imagine that the
clock has rolled back in time 200 years as you walk through the
village in the evening

Does Mystic still have the excellent clock shop museum I loved from back in
the early 1960's? That was the most beautiful display of marine
chronometers I'd ever seen.

God that was a long time ago!

wrote:

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop
me a note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot
com...

Everyone who says there is no room to anchor at Mystic is correct.
We think the best deal around is to join the seaport as a member and
get dockage and entry to the museum for a reduced rate. Call ahead
for reservations. Being there at night, you have the run of the place
after the tourists have gone home. It's easy to imagine that the
clock has rolled back in time 200 years as you walk through the
village in the evening

There is good taxi service from the museum to anywhere in the area.
Enterprise will pick you up if you want to rent a car.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5013/dscn1225ih0.jpg

wrote:

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop
me a note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot
com...

Everyone who says there is no room to anchor at Mystic is correct.
We think the best deal around is to join the seaport as a member and
get dockage and entry to the museum for a reduced rate. Call ahead
for reservations. Being there at night, you have the run of the place
after the tourists have gone home. It's easy to imagine that the
clock has rolled back in time 200 years as you walk through the
village in the evening

There is good taxi service from the museum to anywhere in the area.
Enterprise will pick you up if you want to rent a car.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5013/dscn1225ih0.jpg

This is, in fact, great advice. No better time to see the museum then at
night.

Taking my son here was a treat.

During the day, I highly recommend the Aquarium which is amazing and a
short cab ride away.

harlan

Hi Skip,
You can anchor off Mason Island on the SW side or on the E side and dingy to
the bascule bridge in Mystic or dingy further up the river into the Museum
basin. If you go up the Mystic River, look for anchorage space just south
of N#16 or N3 22
I have found 6 to 7 feet of water at low in both spots.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Hiya, y'all,

Having had no response to those wanting me to keep a minimum of US warship
separation, I wonder if there are Mystic, CT dwellers here.

We think we'll be in Mystic toward the end of the week or more likely the
weekend/Monday-ish. We'll keep the required distance from any giving us
notice, but would enjoy visitors from the less squeamish :{))

From our many charts (Bob!) - paper and electronic - we can't see how we
can anchor in the area of the downtown/museum area (or, for that
matter,exactly where it is, though I believe both are near the swing
bridge.

We'd also like to get to WalMart, and see there are a couple in the area,
and wonder (assuming we can solve the above), what the best public
transport might be to achieve that, if any.

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop me a
note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot com...

TIA

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

wrote:

Just because I don't always have forum/newsgroup access, please drop
me a note cc'g any response you may have; skipgundlach - gmail dot
com...

Everyone who says there is no room to anchor at Mystic is correct.
We think the best deal around is to join the seaport as a member and
get dockage and entry to the museum for a reduced rate. Call ahead
for reservations. Being there at night, you have the run of the place
after the tourists have gone home. It's easy to imagine that the
clock has rolled back in time 200 years as you walk through the
village in the evening

We used to do that pretty much once a season. Unfortunately, Mystic
has changed along with everyone else, and the membership/dockage deal
is not such a deal any longer. It requires a higher level of
membership, and even with the dockage discount, it is just as
expensive as any commercial marina... unless you stay for a week or
so.

On 28 Aug 2008 09:30:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:18:01 -0400, said:

Unfortunately, Mystic
has changed along with everyone else, and the membership/dockage deal
is not such a deal any longer. It requires a higher level of
membership, and even with the dockage discount, it is just as
expensive as any commercial marina... unless you stay for a week or
so.

Even 30 years ago the membership plus dockage was significantly over dockage
at a commercial marina. However, the ability to stroll the grounds after
everyone has gone for the day was indeed a plus.

Not true, Dave. Up until about 2 years ago, the membership, plus the
dockage discount was "break-even" for a 30 foot boat if you used it
for 2 nights. We did it that way for quite a few years as it helped
the museum, and we also would visit once or twice in the off season
using the free admission that also came with the membership. The new
policy was their response to large yachts abusing the deal by bringing
10, 20, or more people with them to avoid all of them paying
admission. It was a dumb move as all it really did was send a message
to small boats and families that they were no longer welcome. It
really didn't hurt the megayacht crowd at all. They still realize a
big savings on dockage because of the size of their boats. It would
have been MUCH smarter to simply limit the free admission for boat
passengers to 4 per boat. It's the smaller boats that got squeezed
out, not the bog boats that caused the problem in the first place.

The regular dockage price without the membership discount was, and is,
similar to commercial dockage everywhere on the river.

AIS thoughts Gordon Cruising 8 August 19th 08 06:01 PM
a few thoughts... knu2xs General 0 April 9th 06 06:41 AM
a few thoughts... knu2xs Touring 0 April 9th 06 06:41 AM
Second thoughts Joe ASA 0 September 2nd 04 04:59 PM
Any thoughts Steven Bennett Touring 8 April 15th 04 03:37 PM