Drumm Law

Default Recommendation for New Marine Head

We have just bought a 1973 Tollycraft 34' Flybridge Sedan, with an old "pumper"
style marine head. Already, I'm getting grumbles from "Mama" about all the
work that device is.

I have seen bits and pieces on this and other web sites, about the pro's and
con's of different electric marine heads . . . but don't feel I know enough to
intelligently chose one yet.

It needs to be 12 volt, sea-water source of water, and reliable (and, when not
reliable, relatively easy for a person not mechanically inclined to fix)!

Any recommendations?
Peggie Hall

Drumm Law wrote:
We have just bought a 1973 Tollycraft 34' Flybridge Sedan, with an old "pumper"
style marine head. Already, I'm getting grumbles from "Mama" about all the
work that device is.

I have seen bits and pieces on this and other web sites, about the pro's and
con's of different electric marine heads . . . but don't feel I know enough to
intelligently chose one yet.

It needs to be 12 volt, sea-water source of water, and reliable (and, when not
reliable, relatively easy for a person not mechanically inclined to fix)!

You've just described the Raritan SeaEra. Check it out at
http://www.raritaneng.com

--
Peggie
----------

Everett

Hi Peggie (or whomever ...)

What do you think about the idea of using non-pressurized water for a SeaEra
(or whatever) via a "day tank??" I'm considering using the pressure water
to automatically fill a small (2-5 gal) tank, controlled by something like a
toilet regulator. The toilet would draw water from the small tank using its
own pump.

In this way, there wouldn't be a possibility of back-flow to the main tank
but we'd have the advantages of fresh water flush without having to use a
special head.

Thanks,
Everett ('70 GB 32 Woodie)

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Drumm Law wrote:
[...]

Rick & Linda Bernard

One thing you need to check is the elevation of the new vs old head. Some
of the heads are quite elevated and uncomfortable to sit on. Even worse if
the head base platform is elevated above the floor. For my boat I need a
low profile head which limits my choice. A couple of inches makes all the
difference.

"Drumm Law" wrote in message
We have just bought a 1973 Tollycraft 34' Flybridge Sedan, with an old

"pumper"
style marine head. Already, I'm getting grumbles from "Mama" about all

the
work that device is.

I have seen bits and pieces on this and other web sites, about the pro's

and
con's of different electric marine heads . . . but don't feel I know

enough to
intelligently chose one yet.

It needs to be 12 volt, sea-water source of water, and reliable (and, when

not
reliable, relatively easy for a person not mechanically inclined to fix)!

Any recommendations?

Peggie Hall

Everett wrote:
Hi Peggie (or whomever ...)

What do you think about the idea of using non-pressurized water for a SeaEra
(or whatever) via a "day tank??" I'm considering using the pressure water
to automatically fill a small (2-5 gal) tank, controlled by something like a
toilet regulator. The toilet would draw water from the small tank using its
own pump.

That should be ok for any sea water toilet, provided the plumbing from
the fresh water tank includes both anti-siphon devices and backflow
preventers.

However, IMO a better solution would be a totally separate tank, not
connected to the onboard fresh water supply but with its own fill, that
can be filled with fresh water OR sea water if it becomes necessary to
conserve fresh water.

The simplest solution of all wouldn't require any additional flush water
tank...but only re-routing the head sink discharge hose to tee it into
the head intake hose. To flush with fresh water, close the seacock, fill
the sink with fresh water and flush the toilet. Because the seacock is
closed, the toilet will pull the water out of the sink. You can use this
method only to flush all the sea water out of the system before the boat
sits, or you can keep the seacock closed except when the sink is in use
and use the sink as a flush water "tank" all the time...how practical it
would be to use all the time depends on how accessible the seacock is.
You would need to keep a plug in the sink, or install a conveniently
located shutoff valve in the sink drain line, to flush the toilet with
sea water.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Manual marine head Gould 0738 Cruising 61 May 13th 04 11:06 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM