Parallax

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

I have heard ppl say they would only have a keel stepped mast on an
offshore boat. Why? A well built deck stepped mast is as strong as a
keel stepped one and easier to put up or down. If either loses a
stay, it is coming down in a hurry? I fail to see the reason for this
odd preference.
Tom Dacon

It's a mechanical engineering issue. A mast (called a column by mechanical
engineers) that's supported only at the ends is less strong in compression
than a column that's supported at two points at one end. The support at the
mast step, for a keel-stepped mast, allows the mast to take more compression
before failing than a deck-stepped mast can. Because the stays and shrouds
take sailing loads almost parallel to the mast, the mast column comes under
significant compression load.

For offshore work, the ultimate compression strength of the mast is
important for situations like full knockdowns and capsizings. The additional
compression strength also comes into play if you lose a stay or a shroud,
and might just give you the additional reserve strength that would keep the
mast from coming down.

Tom Dacon

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
I have heard ppl say they would only have a keel stepped mast on an
offshore boat. Why? A well built deck stepped mast is as strong as a
keel stepped one and easier to put up or down. If either loses a
stay, it is coming down in a hurry? I fail to see the reason for this
odd preference.

rhys

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:19:19 -0700, "Tom Dacon"
wrote:

It's a mechanical engineering issue. A mast (called a column by mechanical
engineers) that's supported only at the ends is less strong in compression
than a column that's supported at two points at one end. The support at the
mast step, for a keel-stepped mast, allows the mast to take more compression
before failing than a deck-stepped mast can. Because the stays and shrouds
take sailing loads almost parallel to the mast, the mast column comes under
significant compression load.

For offshore work, the ultimate compression strength of the mast is
important for situations like full knockdowns and capsizings. The additional
compression strength also comes into play if you lose a stay or a shroud,
and might just give you the additional reserve strength that would keep the
mast from coming down.

To that lucid engineering perspective, I would add the following
observations:

1) Dismastings MAY be better with a keel-stepped mast in the sense
that a deck-stepped mast will tend to fail in its entirely, whereas
even if you can salvage ten feet of keel stepped above the deck, you
may be able to rig a jury rig and keep going. Also, if a deck stepped
mast goes, you must IMMEDIATELY cut the shrouds still attached or the
mast will poke a hole in your hull...and this under very likely less
than ideal conditions.

2) Pluses of deck-stepped include no partners to leak water...no mast
boot, no Spartite, and, usually, more room and less obstruction in the
cabin.

3) Keel stepped masts are frequently heavier, but that weight can
translate to the mechanical advantage and lower CG mentioned above.
Also, deck flexing is avoided.

It's a matter of taste and intended use, mostly. I prefer keel stepped
on fiberglass boats, but see no objection to deck-stepped on steel
boats, mainly due to materials used and likely function of the boat. I
suppose the ideal compromise would be an aluminium deck stepped mast
on an aluminum boat! G

For the record, I have a keel stepped mast I am quite happy with.
YMMV.

R.

Gordon Wedman

I think one of the 2002 issues of Wooden Boat Magazine had a design article
by Ted Brewer in which he gave some reasons for preferring keel stepped
masts. Don't recall what they were though.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
I have heard ppl say they would only have a keel stepped mast on an
offshore boat. Why? A well built deck stepped mast is as strong as a
keel stepped one and easier to put up or down. If either loses a
stay, it is coming down in a hurry? I fail to see the reason for this
odd preference.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:14:39 GMT, Jack Dale
wrote:

I have heard stories, uncorroborated, of keel-stepped masts carrying
away the coach roof during dismasting.

That can happen, and also the interior can be trashed by the mast butt
whipping around below decks. For that reason, it's very important
(and required by the ORC regs), that the mast butt be mechanically
fastened to the mast step in a secure manner.

I've had some personal experience with this issue since my old Cal-34
started out as deck stepped. As others have pointed out, almost any
kind of rigging failure with a deck stepped mast results in a total
dismasting with the entire rig in the water trying to hole the boat.
Been there, done that, and it's ugly. When I went to re-rig the boat
we did a lot of research. Ben Hall personally told me that keel
stepped masts are about 25% stronger than a comparable deck stepped
mast because of the extra support at the deck. Ben has engineered and
built a lot of masts and should know.

Personally, I would never go offshore again with a deck stepped mast.

From swing keel to fixed keel Haakon Dybdahl Boat Building 4 June 8th 04 03:52 PM
San Juan 21 swing keel problem Lee Huddleston Boat Building 11 June 8th 04 12:09 AM
Adjustable keel Parallax Cruising 0 February 17th 04 01:20 AM
C&C Corvette Floor and Keel Questions jcassara Boat Building 0 July 5th 03 12:37 PM