Jack Dale

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

On 8 Apr 2004 09:52:55 -0700, (Parallax) wrote:

I have heard ppl say they would only have a keel stepped mast on an
offshore boat. Why? A well built deck stepped mast is as strong as a
keel stepped one and easier to put up or down. If either loses a
stay, it is coming down in a hurry? I fail to see the reason for this
odd preference.

I used to be of the school that favored keel-stepped masts as be more
sound.

Some things that have changed my mind.

Pacific Seacraft builds very strong boats with deck-stepped masts, as
do some other builders.

I have heard stories, uncorroborated, of keel-stepped masts carrying
away the coach roof during dismasting.

There are probably well and poorly designed keel and deck stepped
masts. A good solid step and a well engineered compression post are
necessary on a deck-stepped mast.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy