Wayne.B

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:14:39 GMT, Jack Dale
wrote:

I have heard stories, uncorroborated, of keel-stepped masts carrying
away the coach roof during dismasting.

That can happen, and also the interior can be trashed by the mast butt
whipping around below decks. For that reason, it's very important
(and required by the ORC regs), that the mast butt be mechanically
fastened to the mast step in a secure manner.

I've had some personal experience with this issue since my old Cal-34
started out as deck stepped. As others have pointed out, almost any
kind of rigging failure with a deck stepped mast results in a total
dismasting with the entire rig in the water trying to hole the boat.
Been there, done that, and it's ugly. When I went to re-rig the boat
we did a lot of research. Ben Hall personally told me that keel
stepped masts are about 25% stronger than a comparable deck stepped
mast because of the extra support at the deck. Ben has engineered and
built a lot of masts and should know.

Personally, I would never go offshore again with a deck stepped mast.