Default Piracy map

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:19:35 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Many EU-yachts do not take the risk and burden and wait for better
days. I wanted to sail round Pacific next year, starting Far East, but
wasting so much time with daily reports keeps me away, despite many
friends waiting in Southern California.

Seems Osama Bin Laden has won, US is frightened to death, I am sorry
to say.

Henry

I go to the CBP website and find none of the above. Things are the
same as always. Coming from out of country, you phone customs and they
meet you at a port of entry. They ask a few questions, look at your
papers, and clear you thru. You are then free to go where you please and
only have to report again if you leave the country and then return. Same
as always.
Had a Japanese gentleman arrive in Port Angeles the other day and he
was cleared in about 15 minutes. Took him 51 days to get here from Japan.
Gordon

Gordon,
I am sorry but you are definitely mistaken.

regards
Peter

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:05:51 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:19:12 -0700 (PDT), blubaju
wrote:

Hello Roger,

well in the US there is a ruling almost as bad and ONLY against
foreign visiting yacht, a ruling that lets you think you ended up in
North Vietnam, China or Russia at cold war days, but it is newly
implemented by Homeland Security.

US-yachts in Europe are entitled for a 18 months stay, the skipper
secured a Schengen Visa and is free to move within all Schengen treaty
countries, generally speaking, that is entire EU without GB (not
exactly, but from a sailors view)

A EU-registered yacht visiting US must report in advance, undergo a
security screening that let's you feel being a criminal AND - and this
is the point - must report at every harbor master wherever she wants
to anchor or dock en route. Even when staying in the same area, every
movement must be reported in advance, the fines are more than heavy, I
read US$ 5.000 for the first offense, doubling for the next.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2008-02-07-1

Many EU-yachts do not take the risk and burden and wait for better
days. I wanted to sail round Pacific next year, starting Far East, but
wasting so much time with daily reports keeps me away, despite many
friends waiting in Southern California.

Seems Osama Bin Laden has won, US is frightened to death, I am sorry
to say.

Henry

On Jul 25, 7:08*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Bil Hansen" wrote

........*If it had passed, it probably would have been
enforced against visiting yachts because they don't vote.

--
Roger Long

Agreed!!

We spent time and money obtaining 10 year US visas in Madrid before we
found out about the restrictions.

One of our dreams was to sail up the east coast of the US and explore.

The regulations and restrictions as well as the potential stress of
being treated like a suspected criminal changed our plans entirely.

cheers
Peter

What's this "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? All along it has been
"I", "I", "I", stories about alarms to wake up the solitary sailor,
etc., and now it is "we".

What is going on here?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Jul 30, 5:19*am, Gordon wrote:

* *I go to the CBP website and find none of the above. Things are the
same as always. Coming from out of country, you phone customs and they
meet you at a port of entry. They ask a few questions, look at your
papers, and clear you thru. You are then free to go where you please and
only have to report again if you leave the country and then return. Same
as always.
* *Had a Japanese gentleman arrive in Port Angeles the other day and he
was cleared in about 15 minutes. Took him 51 days to get here from Japan.
* Gordon

read he
http://www.the-triton.com/megayachtn...x.php?news=827

then he
http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title19/19usc1433.html

TITLE 19--CUSTOMS DUTIES

CHAPTER 4--TARIFF ACT OF 1930

SUBTITLE III--ADMINISTRATIVE PROVISIONS

Part II--Report, Entry, and Unlading of Vessels and Vehicles

Sec. 1433. Report of arrival of vessels, vehicles, and aircraft

(a) Vessel arrival

(1) Immediately upon the arrival at any port or place within the
United States or the Virgin Islands of--
(A) any vessel from a foreign port or place;
(B) any foreign vessel from a domestic port;
(C) any vessel of the United States carrying foreign
merchandise
for which entry has not been made; or
(D) any vessel which has visited a hovering vessel or
received
merchandise while outside the territorial sea;

the master of the vessel shall report the arrival at the nearest
customs
facility or such other place as the Secretary may prescribe by
regulations. .....

Its he (B) any FOREIGN vessel from a DOMESTIC port;
though the original law is from 1930 it is still in use!
Maybe in some areas the officers have much to do and do not care, but
the law is here!

The annoying is not the custom clearance, sailing around the world you
encounter everything, from a few minutes to 2 days, but as a foreign
vessel I MUST report every movement in US, though it might only be a
phone call, I might overlook it in bad weather, lucky, I do not drink,
but when sick? the officer might forget to write it down, sorry this
is my own paranoia, bureaucrats in the whole world never make
mistakes, I know, but the fines are just to high, I am not taking that
risk.

My dream was coming down the West coast, passing Panama, then
following the American Great Loop ( http://www.greatloop.com ) going
up the ICWW, N.Y., Great Lakes then down to New Orleans. Have more
family and friends is US than in Europe, would take more than 2 years,
but must be done in 2x1year or import taxes and duties are to be paid.

But at a reporting scheme as in former Russia or China just scares me.
What happened to a former free country? Why they treat all visitors
the same? Oh not true, I am still lucky to belong to those 30
countries which are better off, we pay less and only need to call, the
rest of the world must report personally. My cruising kitty has no
allowance for this risk, there is something to replace/repair all the
time anyway.

And US yachts are free to roam in EU waters.

Henry

P.S. if anyone can PROOF that my information is wrong, please let me
know, I'd really like to make that trip

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 04:38:41 -0700 (PDT), in message

blubaju wrote:

P.S. if anyone can PROOF that my information is wrong, please let me
know, I'd really like to make that trip

I can't prove it, however the practice locally is different. Canadian
cruisers in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence can check in once, with
no advance notice, and roam from port to port without objections from
Customs.

However, they seem to be in the habit of changing the rules often
since 9/11. IME the best way to get an answer on current practice is
to contact a person in the port where you plan to enter.

Ryk

blubaju wrote:

P.S. if anyone can PROOF that my information is wrong, please let me
know, I'd really like to make that trip

I can't prove it, however the practice locally is different. Canadian
cruisers in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence can check in once, with
no advance notice, and roam from port to port without objections from
Customs.

However, they seem to be in the habit of changing the rules often
since 9/11. IME the best way to get an answer on current practice is
to contact a person in the port where you plan to enter.

Ryk

Good Lord, sounds just like Thailand ... whatever the current officer
decides and likely to change without notice.

And people ask me, "aren't you ever going back?"

Bruce-in-Bangkok

We spent time and money obtaining 10 year US visas in Madrid before we
found out about the restrictions.

One of our dreams was to sail up the east coast of the US and explore.

The regulations and restrictions as well as the potential stress of
being treated like a suspected criminal changed our plans entirely.

cheers
Peter

What's this "we"? Got a mouse in your pocket? All along it has been
"I", "I", "I", stories about alarms to wake up the solitary sailor,
etc., and now it is "we".

What is going on here?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

The "We" is me, my wife and son who sailed from New Zealand to Spain.

"We" got the visas before we decided that he and her go back to Sydney
for his schooling.

"I" have sailed it since then.

Quite simple really. I should admit that I have not really sailed solo
as I have my best friend Sean (pronounced correctly as "shorn") with
me. He is a great comfort at all times. He only stands about 6 inches
when he is standing on all fours and needs his battery changing
sometimes. He is only a stuffed toy sheep but has a great personality
and eats anything I give him, even American Airlines filled rolls.

Peter

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:43:35 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

[...]

Gorry but that's a classic... a bloke from New Zealand with a pet
sheep...

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:08:40 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Quite simple really. I should admit that I have not really sailed solo
as I have my best friend Sean (pronounced correctly as "shorn") with
me. He is a great comfort at all times. He only stands about 6 inches
when he is standing on all fours and needs his battery changing
sometimes. He is only a stuffed toy sheep but has a great personality
and eats anything I give him, even American Airlines filled rolls.

Peter

Gorry but that's a classic... a bloke from New Zealand with a pet
sheep...

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Well, we may have a special relationship with some of our 65 million
sheep but at least we don't have a classic song "Tie me kangaroo down
sport" - the old one by Rolf Harris.

The mind boggles rather politely when one wonders as to just why the
Australians need to tie down their kangaroos.

Also, I do recall from university days that Kinsey stated that 65% of
American farm boys have had at least one sexual relationship with a
farm animal.

Didn't you and Larry come from farming families?

Yes, I do acknowledge that Kinsey and his report have been somewhat
discredited but this is all the ammunition I have.

cheers
Peter

wrote:

Quite simple really. I should admit that I have not really sailed solo
as I have my best friend Sean (pronounced correctly as "shorn") with
me. He is a great comfort at all times. He only stands about 6 inches
when he is standing on all fours and needs his battery changing
sometimes. He is only a stuffed toy sheep but has a great personality
and eats anything I give him, even American Airlines filled rolls.

Peter

Gorry but that's a classic... a bloke from New Zealand with a pet
sheep...

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Well, we may have a special relationship with some of our 65 million
sheep but at least we don't have a classic song "Tie me kangaroo down
sport" - the old one by Rolf Harris.

65 million sheep and 4,270,392 people as at Thursday, 31 July 2008 at
6:39:07 p.m.

The mind boggles rather politely when one wonders as to just why the
Australians need to tie down their kangaroos.

I suppose because sheep, albeit the younger ones, are sort of cuddley
creatures, but kangaroos?????

Mary had a little lamb, she also had a bear. Everybody saw her lamb
but no one saw her.....

Also, I do recall from university days that Kinsey stated that 65% of
American farm boys have had at least one sexual relationship with a
farm animal.

Rather, 65% admitted it......

Didn't you and Larry come from farming families?

Don't know about Larry buy my old man was a postman....

Yes, I do acknowledge that Kinsey and his report have been somewhat
discredited but this is all the ammunition I have.

cheers
Peter

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:46:03 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Also, I do recall from university days that Kinsey stated that 65% of
American farm boys have had at least one sexual relationship with a
farm animal.

Rather, 65% admitted it......

Didn't you and Larry come from farming families?

Don't know about Larry buy my old man was a postman....

So I guess that you missed out on a lot of good ol' boy fun?

Bruce-in-Bangkok