Default Piracy map

Here's a useful bit of information for cruise planning:

Piracy map:
http://www.icc-ccs.org/extra/display.php

Please note that there were no attacks in Maine

--
Roger Long

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:20:21 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Here's a useful bit of information for cruise planning:

Piracy map:
http://www.icc-ccs.org/extra/display.php

Please note that there were no attacks in Maine

Mainiacs got the summer trade to pillage :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok

"Roger Long" wrote in news:g6av74$fct$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

On Jul 25, 6:20 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
Here's a useful bit of information for cruise planning:

With the exception of the reports of piracy against yachts in S America,
I'm unclear as to how useful your information is for cruise planning,
Roger.

Two points:

1) Official piracy against yachts. The ICC page to which you linked says
zero about the government-run piracy against yachts that occurs in
Australia, for example, where foreign cruisers have been financially
ruined by 'legal' action by government agencies. Cruisers have been told,
for instance, by Australian officials in New Caledonia that they need
only to advise Australian officials 48 hours before arrival but then, on
arrival, they have been prosecuted and ruined for not giving 96 hours
notice. See http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/manzaris.html

2) Poor correlation between piracy against cargo vessels and acts against
private yachts. In the case of Southeast Asia and the Malacca Straits in
particular, many cruisers have heard stories about piracy (piracy against
cargo ships definitely takes place in the Malacca Straits: some of it is
just opportunistic theft, other cases are of inside jobs - ie within a
shipping company - to steal high value cargo). But there have been only
two cases of piracy against cruisers in SE Asia in a decade, and only one
of those was well substantiated (the other seems to have been a case
where the owner of a vessel wanted to claim against insurance). Cruisers
and their yachts are liable to opportunistic theft in SE Asia (if you
leave your Rolex watch on deck, don't expect it to be there when you come
back), but genuine piracy is v low on the list of risks (lightning strike
is higher).

Cheers

Bil

"Bil Hansen" wrote

I'm unclear as to how useful your information is for cruise planning,

It was a tongue in cheek post set up for the comment about Maine.

Your point about OZ is interesting though. Back when I was in aviation the
world flying community was following with dismay the destruction of
Australia's general aviation system and a healthy outback flying tourist
trade. For decades I heard what a great and family friendly country it is
(aside from the fact that anything that moves is poisonous and can kill you)
and now all I seem to hear is stuff like this. What is going on down under?

I can understand though how quickly a nation can slip into madness. Just
look at the US. Boaters dodged a bullet last week. $32,500.00 fines for
using dish detergent or hosing off your deck would be right in line with
what you report from OZ. If it had passed, it probably would have been
enforced against visiting yachts because they don't vote.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Here's a useful bit of information for cruise planning:

Piracy map:
http://www.icc-ccs.org/extra/display.php

Please note that there were no attacks in Maine

--
Roger Long

Jolly Roger.. ye left out de old Maine pirate .. Captain Marina

Cap'n Marina don't need no cutless, no gun, .. he is the worst type of
pirate,
a thieving, lying, scab on society waiting for unsuspecting sailboats to
come looking
for a mooring..

Arrrrgh...

"So, yer wantn a mooring are ya" .. Cap'n Marina says.

"Oh, yes, you see John must be at a meeting in Boston and because of the
weather and
Sally's braces, we would like to leave our cruising sailboat for a few days
at your marina".

"Cap'n Marina to Paul, in the mooring/fuel dock booth" .. "wake up Paul " ..
"put down the Playboy".

"Yes, Cap'n, this is Paul".

"I be sending a 35' boat toward the dock, make sure you empty it of all
swag, tell the owner he must
fill up with fuel or no water,, and charge him $7 per gallon for the fuel...
oh, and put the boat out near
the sea gull nest so the birds can **** on it .. and tell the owner that
due to the weather,, there is an
extra add on for the mooring of $50 per night ,, which is called the Maine
Weather Mooring Supplement ..
and when the owner isn't looking .. put his dinghy under the dock over
where the tide will rise and fall
9' so it will be crushed on the next flood/ebb .. and we can sell him one of
our Chinese made looks like a
Zodiac inflatables .. and if he needs a ride, call my brother over at
Charley's Tavern and tell him to pick
these poor unfortunate fools up and bring them to the bus station ... tell
my brother to charge them
$100 dollars and tell him to return $50 to me ... "

"Paul,, Cap'n Marina again .."
"Yes, Cap'n"..

"Will you be staying for the whole month of August, or are you heading back
to Harvard to
continue studying how to be a lawyer and screwing everyone in society"?

"Paul Paul .. you down there" ?

==

meanwhile at the dock .. Sally, the young girl with braces is smiling at
Paul, the future lawyer ..

"Paaauuuuullllll ,, can't you take us to the bus station and help daddy with
his boat"?

==

"Cap'n Marina,, this is Paul,, I'm on my cell ..... I quit".. "you can take
your marina and shove it"

===

Even pirates have bad days..

"Roger Long" wrote in news:g6av74$fct$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

Here's a useful bit of information for cruise planning:

Piracy map:
http://www.icc-ccs.org/extra/display.php

Please note that there were no attacks in Maine

Waitaminit! This map is bogus! NONE of the marinas or boatyards around
here are listed on it!....(c;

Hello Roger,

well in the US there is a ruling almost as bad and ONLY against
foreign visiting yacht, a ruling that lets you think you ended up in
North Vietnam, China or Russia at cold war days, but it is newly
implemented by Homeland Security.

US-yachts in Europe are entitled for a 18 months stay, the skipper
secured a Schengen Visa and is free to move within all Schengen treaty
countries, generally speaking, that is entire EU without GB (not
exactly, but from a sailors view)

A EU-registered yacht visiting US must report in advance, undergo a
security screening that let's you feel being a criminal AND - and this
is the point - must report at every harbor master wherever she wants
to anchor or dock en route. Even when staying in the same area, every
movement must be reported in advance, the fines are more than heavy, I
read US$ 5.000 for the first offense, doubling for the next.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2008-02-07-1

Many EU-yachts do not take the risk and burden and wait for better
days. I wanted to sail round Pacific next year, starting Far East, but
wasting so much time with daily reports keeps me away, despite many
friends waiting in Southern California.

Seems Osama Bin Laden has won, US is frightened to death, I am sorry
to say.

Henry

"Bil Hansen" wrote

blubaju wrote:
[...]

I go to the CBP website and find none of the above. Things are the
same as always. Coming from out of country, you phone customs and they
meet you at a port of entry. They ask a few questions, look at your
papers, and clear you thru. You are then free to go where you please and
only have to report again if you leave the country and then return. Same
as always.
Had a Japanese gentleman arrive in Port Angeles the other day and he
was cleared in about 15 minutes. Took him 51 days to get here from Japan.
Gordon

From: http://www.fort-lauderdale-marine-di...cgadvisory.php

USCG To Enforce Advance Notice of Arrival Regulations
U.S. Coast Guard Public Advisory Update

UPDATE: On 5/26/2004 we received this update from Frank Herhold:

Conversations with the USCG subsequent to the May 21, 2004 bulletin
have revealed additional information regarding the 96-Hour Advance
Notice of Arrival (ANOA) regulation. The regulation, adopted in
February 28, 2003, includes a correction made by the USCG. The
correction was included in the Federal Register on November 10, 2003
and amended the regulation to clarify exempt vessels.

We are pleased to announce that U.S. recreational vessels are exempt
from the ANOA requirements.

Envirocare and MIASF received final confirmation this morning from
Captain of the Port Jim Watson that ALL US flagged recreational
vessels are exempt from the Notice of Arrival requirements.

The site goes on to describe in detail the regulations that apply to
foreign vessels entering US waters and the advance notice, etc.,
required.

Has this changed?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:19:12 -0700 (PDT), blubaju
wrote:

[...]

Agreed!!

We spent time and money obtaining 10 year US visas in Madrid before we
found out about the restrictions.

One of our dreams was to sail up the east coast of the US and explore.

The regulations and restrictions as well as the potential stress of
being treated like a suspected criminal changed our plans entirely.

cheers
Peter