Default Google Ocean Charts in the palm of your hand....

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Larry" wrote

Have you guys been to:
http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/
Where Google Maps and satellite views get the marine chart overlays?

Very, very cool. I'm a bit skeptical though about using it for actual
navigation. It's running and updating so slowly on my Time Warner
broadband cable connection that I could easily get from the middle of
Portland Harbor to the rocks in the time it's taken to do a zoom.

--
Roger Long

I suppose if you have a poor connection, it would be an issue, but relying
on it without a non-electronic backup would be foolish. If you have a decent
connection, using it is one thing; relying on it is another.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote

I suppose if you have a poor connection, it would be an issue, but
relying on it without a non-electronic backup would be foolish. If you
have a decent connection, using it is one thing; relying on it is
another.

There are issues other than relying on a navigational aid. Even if you
have paper backup (which I 100% endorse) the distraction factor of having
the electronics go down and switching over could get you in trouble in a
tight situation. I've never seen my GPS even blink so dont' worry about
it too much. Once you add all the links in the chain and potential
failure points of a wireless and complex system, the probability of have a
failure skyrocket. My little handheld GPSmap76cx is about as complex as
I'm inclined to get with my electronic navigation.

If I had a powerboat and a nice, big, dry place to put the stuff, I
probably would feel differently. But then I wouldn't be able to afford it
at today's fuel prices

--
Roger Long

Yep... diesel is over $5/g now here... I think I still have enough to last
the season.

Everytime my onboard GPS stops working, I tell the person standing near the
antenna to move.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:32:48 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

You make this stuff sound wonderful, but in fact it scares the hell out of
me. Navigation using uncertified charts? Since when is this progress?
Sounds like stupidity to me.

Larry and stupidity? Goes hand in hand, especially when he's flogging his
masturbatory dream; that Nokia tablet.

Bill,

There is no call for this type of response that has been the hallmark
of Wilbur and his alias's on this group. If you disagree with Larry
there is no need to post such a response.

I have found Larry to be a very useful and informed poster.

regards
Peter

Default Time Warner drops usenet newsgroups!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Free news servers aren't worth a crap!

--
Harry Harris

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Free newsservers are worthless . . .

--
Eric Starnes

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Don't bother with free news servers. They're worthless!

--
Shad O'Shay

"Harry Harris" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Free news servers aren't worth a crap!

--
Harry Harris

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

You got that right, Harry!

--
Gregory Hall

"Eric Starnes" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Free newsservers are worthless . . .

--
Eric Starnes

Then why are you using one?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Shad O'Shay" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:40:08 -0400, said:

Nope. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, but it's one I've been
using
as my "backup" for a long time, and it has always worked when needed

Ah, that accounts for those occasional BB posts.

Don't bother with free news servers. They're worthless!

--
Shad O'Shay

Isn't aioe a free newsserver, Shad?

Harry Harris

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

"claus" wrote in
:

This is a bit off topic - but I am wondering if it is possible to
connect a Nokia N800 to my laptop at the Nav Station, running Coastal
Explorer software - and display the same screen (Coastal Explorer) on
the Nokia?

Also, what kind of Bluetooth transmitter would I need fro the laptop
to communicate with the Nokia?

I was going to put this paragraph last as I'm typing it last, but that
wouldn't be fair after all this instruction to mention a glaring
deficiency in Windows on that laptop before we start.......
Windows is ONLY capable of running ONE USER AT A TIME. This means that
the laptop's keyboard/display user MUST be LOGGED OFF prior to the tablet
logging on as the remote user. It's not my fault, bitch at Bill Gates.
The helmsman cannot watch the laptop display of the chart plotter while
you're watching it from the tablet via remote desktop. Sorry....
However, if this isn't a problem remote desktop is done like this....:

(this was my first paragraph in answer to your query)...
No problem whatsoever using very inexpensive equipment. Forget using
bluetooth as the laptop probably doesn't have it. It's MUCH easier to
simply plug in a wifi router to 12VDC from the house batteries creating
your own Local Area Network (LAN) aboard the boat. The laptop is setup
for it. The N800 is, too. The LAN will have a range far outside the
boat bluetooth cannot match.

Now, how to do it is also quite easy. The Windows laptop needs to be
configured to allow for a password-secured user. Just add a new user and
password protect that user. Remote Desktop requires you have a password
protected user for obvious reasons. Bring up Control Panel and click
USER ACCOUNTS. Pick to install a new user account and fill in the blanks
for the new user. PASSWORD protect this user for the N800 to logon to.

Then, you click up Control Panel and select SYSTEM. When that panel
opens, select REMOTE. When the REMOTE tab opens, put a check in the box
to Allow users to connect to this computer remotely (the bottom square,
not Remote Assistance) Write down the name of your computer that is
displayed right under the checkbox. You'll need it later.

OK your way out of the SYSTEM panel to activate Remote Desktop and you're
ready for remote users to use this computer through that new passworded
user.

Now, we need to use the laptop's web browser to logon to the new router's
control webpage. I don't like to leave wifi open for this task, so plug
an Ethernet cable from the laptop to one of the router's LAN ports and
let Plug 'n Pray log the laptop onto the router. If the router is going
to be where the laptop is located, I would LEAVE the laptop hard wired to
the LAN port of the router, permanently, to make the wifi to the tablet
even faster by reducing the radio system loading.

Ok, the router is running, the laptop is running and connected to the
router over Ethernet. I like Netgear routers so I'll set my example for
the netgear line of routers.
Enter:
http://192.168.1.1/
into the browser's URL box. This opens the router's internal webpages
once you logon with username admin
and password netgear
(it's in the manual how to do this if you need more help)

The router's configuration wizard will take over and ask you specific
questions to initially setup the router. Do what it wants, logout
normally, then log back into the router with the username/password again.
If given the chance to change the password under the wizard DO IT!
Everyone knows the default username/password for Netgear routers. Re-
name the password and WRITE IT DOWN SO YOU DON'T FORGET OR LOSE IT!
Write it right on the router's plastic box with a felt tip permanent
marker is a great place! No password, no router access....not good.

Ok, ignore the firmware upgrade of this new router. You'll never need it
unless it crashes. It won't.

Under ADVANCED click WIRELESS SETTINGS....
Ensure ENABLE WIRELESS RADIO, ENABLE SSID BROADCAST and ENABLE RANGE
XTENDER all have checkmarks. If not check them.

DO NOT LEAVE ANY PAGE YOU CHANGE ON THE ROUTER PAGES WITHOUT CLICKING THE
APPLY BUTTON TO WRITE THE DATA TO THE ROUTER'S EEPROM MEMORY.....or it
won't happen.

Click APPLY

Pick PORT FORWARDING and PORT TRIGGERING from the menu to open it.

Because you were a good boy and DIDN'T logon any other computer to this
new router, we'll assume its IP address to be 192.168.1.2 on a Netgear
router. Linksys uses whole different IPs that begin with 192.168.100.xxx

Click ADD CUSTOM SERVICE

We're now going to tell the ROUTER to ROUTE all calls to port 3389 to
192.168.1.2, the laptop....3389 is the Remote Desktop calling port.

Service Name - rdesktop
Starting port - 3389
Ending port - 3389
server IP address - 192.168.1.2
under SERVICE TYPE pick TCP from the picklist.

CLICK APPLY!!

You should now see the new custom port forwarding on the port forwarding
list. It's ready to go if you do....(c;

Click LOGOUT and the router will log you off its control panels.

There, now the laptop is all ready for your Remote Desktop from ANY
computer that has the username and password....even in Pakistan if it's
on the internet...(c;

Now we need to configure the N800 Tablet to use rdesktop to access it....
(c;

Almost all the fantastic software the Linux geniuses have written for the
Nokia internet tablets is in one place....
http://maemo.org/
a website established by Nokia to give the Maemo Linux community a
permanent home sponsored by the hardware company billionaires.

If you have a new N800, it comes with the original OS2007 Linux, which is
now obsolete. We're doing a complete reinstallation to upgrade N800's to
OS2008, also called Chinook for some reason, and it's the new OS for the
N810 with the keyboards. It's a FAR more advanced OS and every N800
needs this upgrade....which is butt EASY to do....

First we'll need to install the automatic N800 upgrade software on the
Windows XP/Vista PC....i.e. your laptop. Go to:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010
Read the page. What we're gonna do is to connect the N800 over the
provided USB cable to the laptop and completely burn a new OS into the
tablet's memory. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED FIRST! The
power supply MUST be UNPLUGGED to upgrade the tablet!

Download and install on the laptop the Nokia Internet Tablet Software
Update Wizard, a WINDOWS program for the laptop. Do not connect the
tablet until told to do so. Follow the instructions, they're very
complete, EXCEPT DO NOT DO A BACKUP AND RESTORE as instructed because the
OS2007 softwares are incompatible with OS2008. Ignore that instruction,
we're starting from scratch!

Boot the software updater on the laptop....
It won't find the tablet because it isn't connected, yet.
Once it says there's no tablet, plug the tablet's USB port into the
laptop's USB port with the cable that comes with the tablet.
Press and HOLD the little HOUSE button, the lower button to the left of
the screen. While holding it pressed, click up the power button on top
and the tablet will go into USB mode, showing a NOKIA sign with a USB
logo in the upper right corner of the tablet.

The updater will have, by now, told you it found an N800 and you follow
the onscreen instructions to do the update. When a list of updates comes
on the screen, you pick the latest OS2008 (Chinook) with a version number
ending in 51-3 I think it is currently. the highest version
number....newest.

This takes a while as it has to erase EEPROM and burn in new code. Do
not interrupt it unless there's a nuclear event, in which case it won't
matter. Let the wizard install the new OS. It will tell you when it's
done. If it fails, no problem, just do it over again....I've yet to have
it fail.

The tablet will boot up just like it came out of the box asking you for
information, again because it is now in new condition. Enjoy the pretty
blue bubbles very appropriate to a boat environment...(c; The interface
looks much nicer on OS2008. It works the same way.

OK, we got OS2008 installed, up and running on the
tablet!....congratulations!

Now we'll need one piece of hacker software from:
http://maemo.org
from the tablet's new Mozilla (Firefox based) browser, a great
improvement over the Opera browser that was on OS2007, by the way. Boot
up the browser by clicking with the stylus on the world symbol in the
upper left corner of the display. Maemo's home page is preprogrammed
into the bookmarks for you. By the way, the browser's homepage is nicely
preset to Google, but in memory with all the important Maemo pages, too,
as click buttons for fast access. Go to the Maemo home page.....

The webpages KNOW what OS you're using so automatically take you to the
appropriate software list when you click DOWNLOAD....OS2008. When you
get to the software download page...add it to the browser's bookmarks so
you can get their fast. You'll be there a lot...a complete tablet addict
in no time at all. I bought the thing for Skype use....it only took 2
days for my tablet addiction to be complete. This is one GREAT device.

The software for the tablet, now over 200 products, is, UNfortunately,
arranged in Categories. It's terribly hard to find something called
rdesktop in there and the search engine searches NEWS, not software.
But, alas, Google is GREAT. Now that you know where the software is
stored for OS2008, ignore it for a moment. In your Google search box on
the toolbar or Google's webpage, enter:
rdesktop maemo
and let GOOGLE find the download page for you:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/rdesktop/
it will save you hours of searching, I assure you....(sigh)
Go to this rdesktop webpage WITH THE TABLET'S BROWSER NOT THE LAPTOP'S
and I'll show you how easy it is to install ANY of the softwares into
this little Linux box.....

Ok, have a look around the rdesktop webpage. Isn't that nice? No
mention of money, donations, open source. You'll get used to it...(c;
See the big green DOWNARROW?....hmm, says INSTALL. No, it can't be!

Click the green arrow and fasten your seatbelt. The tablet reacts
immediately to the .install extension of the green arrows. A box pops up
wanting to know what you want to do with this tiny .install text file.
Click the OPEN button and the tablet opens its APPLICATIONS MANAGER app,
automatically.

Wait...wait....hold it....hold it....App Manager came up and just sat
there...wait a few seconds....THERE! Now it's either going to ask you if
it's ok for it to install a new "catalog" to the app manager or warns you
this software isn't from Nokia and Nokia isn't responsible if you install
it because they had nothing to do with it! Either way, click OK and
check the seat belt. The application manager will renew its application
catalogs off the net. Eventually, this will become a much longer process
as you become more addicted and just HAVE to have more "STUFF". Catalogs
are not all stored at maemo because some of the Linux geniuses writing
this stuff are their own companies! It's quite safe....this is Linux!

You'll, finally, after being warned, be asked if you want to install
rdesktop. You do....click the final OK and App manager will install
rdesktop in the EXTRAS folder of the program selector icon in the middle
of the left panel. After it installs, open the selector, click EXTRAS to
see all the extra software clogging up the box and pick rdesktop from the
EXTRAS list. Rdesktop finally boots up....to a bunch of blank boxes you
have to fill in. Hey! It's not clairvoyant!

Now we need to tell rdesktop where the Remote Desktop computer is we want
to take over!.....

RDP Server is the laptop at IP 192.168.1.2 on a Netgear router....
Username is the username of that password-secured new user you made on
the laptop.
Password is the password you forgot to write down for this new user on
the laptop. Let's write it down so we don't have to fight it later...
Domain is MSHOME on all Windows boxes unless someone changed it. If they
did, you have to open SYSTEM back up and find it under Control Panel on
the laptop.
Disk sharing....click MEM CARDS and MY DOCS....the tablet will now send
and receive files from its memory cards and MyDocs folder to/from the
laptop.

Now we have a little problem......KEYBOARD!

rdesktop completely takes over your tablet away from its usual Maemo
interfaces, like the onscreen keyboard. It's a LINUX program and expects
you to have a desktop computer with a keyboard to type on. On the N810
tablet, there IS a little keyboard that slides out. On the cheaper N800,
there isn't. The solution is to buy a Nokia folding Bluetooth keyboard
for the tablet. Folded out, it's a first class, properly spaced, typist
keyboard, but with only 3 rows and a function key to get numbers and
punctuation that's not hard to adapt to. It's about $100 extra and worth
the money if you must type into the tablet, with or without rdesktop.

Because I don't think YOU need a keyboard to talk to this chartplotting
software, I'll just make a note of it here. If you get the BT keyboard,
check the box BT Keyboard on rdesktop's connection details.

Check "Save these settings" so we never have to type them all in again
next time we boot rdesktop. From now on, we'll boot rdesktop, click OK,
the screen goes BLACK raising your adrenaline level, then WINDOWS APPEARS
exactly like it shows up on the laptop! HOW COOL! WE'RE IN!

The stylus will do anything the mouse does on the rdesktop Windows
desktop. Double click needs to be set a little slower due to the
communications link between them being a little slower than a directly
connected mouse. You can now do anything you could do from the laptop's
keyboard/screen EXCEPT PLAY VIDEOS AND SOUNDS. If you click up an MP3
file from the tablet....Windows PLAYS IT ON THE LAPTOP like remote
control...driving my parrots just crazy because I do it when I'm not
home....(c;

Double click the chartplotter desktop icon and the plotter will boot and
run, normally, complete with chart/graphics all controlled from the
tablet....on the tablet's touchscreen. If you need a keyboard for
something....buy.com has them.
http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-su-8w-wireless-keyboard-
qwerty/q/loc/101/204709076.html
they also have about the cheapest prices on the N800 and N810.