Default Google Ocean Charts in the palm of your hand....

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain the setup, Larry.

Unfortunately, Bill Gates ONE USER limitation kills it as you surmised in
your opening para. In my case, the laptop at the Nav station has to run the
Coastal Explorer software because it also transmits waypoint info to the
Raymarine autopilot.

What I was hoping for was simply to watch the same screen on the Nokia
tablet at the helm... is there any way to just use the Nokia as a second
display screen - "feeding" it from the VGA output on the laptop?

The helmsman cannot watch the laptop display of the chart plotter while
you're watching it from the tablet via remote desktop. Sorry....
However, if this isn't a problem remote desktop is done like this....:

"Herodotus" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:32:48 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

You make this stuff sound wonderful, but in fact it scares the hell out
of
me. Navigation using uncertified charts? Since when is this progress?
Sounds like stupidity to me.

Larry and stupidity? Goes hand in hand, especially when he's flogging his
masturbatory dream; that Nokia tablet.

There is no call for this type of response that has been the hallmark
of Wilbur and his alias's on this group. If you disagree with Larry
there is no need to post such a response.

To each his own.

I have found Larry to be a very useful and informed poster.

Sadly while that may have been true in the past it's not any longer.

This is a bit off topic - but I am wondering if it is possible to connect
a Nokia N800 to my laptop at the Nav Station, running Coastal Explorer
software - and display the same screen (Coastal Explorer) on the Nokia?

If you run VNC on the PC you can use any number of VNC client programs to
talk to it. Works great for nearly everything but video and very high color
display. Given the widespread availability of VNC I'd have to guess there
is a client for the Nokia.

Larry,
No, the chart source is only one issue in the certification process, it is
not getting through to me. The risks are still there and the more elements
involved, the greater the risk. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I for one
could not rely on any electronic display for critical navigation anywhere.
The basic limitations are there as well, like 100+ pixels per linear screen
inch at best, as opposed to 2400+ on a lithograph printer. In order to
express the detail, it is necessary to drill down and that info may or not
be there. When it is, that's all you see, the big picture is lost. If your
hobby is computers and networking, enjoy it, but do not rely on this
technology, it is not robust, it is not everywhere and it simply is not
ready for prime time.
Steve

"Larry" wrote in message
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in
:

Larry,
You make this stuff sound wonderful, but in fact it scares the hell
out of me. Navigation using uncertified charts? Since when is this
progress? Sounds like stupidity to me. Close your eyes and imagine the
court ruling in an accident liability case when you tell the court you
were using uncertified charts from the internet after causing massive
property damage and or loss of life.
Steve

The charts are REAL NOAA CERTIFIED CHARTS, just like you pay out the ass
for old ones at Waste Marine......SAME CHARTS ONLY UP-TO-DATE! Is that
loud enough to get through to you?

The NOAA Charts on Ocean Google are those new charts! You can access them
from any browser over an aircard on your laptop NOW if you have internet
cellular service.

These are only good in the USA, not Germany.

"claus" wrote in
:

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain the setup, Larry.

Unfortunately, Bill Gates ONE USER limitation kills it as you surmised
in your opening para. In my case, the laptop at the Nav station has to
run the Coastal Explorer software because it also transmits waypoint
info to the Raymarine autopilot.

What I was hoping for was simply to watch the same screen on the Nokia
tablet at the helm... is there any way to just use the Nokia as a
second display screen - "feeding" it from the VGA output on the
laptop?

You can always run a virtual PC to solve this problem. Remember, PC stands
for Personal Computer, and the operating system was designed along that
path. Virtualization allows you to, in essence, run multiple copies of
Windows on a single piece of hardware. Search for "pc virtualization" to
see the multiple options that you have.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

The basic limitations are there as well, like 100+ pixels per linear
screen
inch at best, as opposed to 2400+ on a lithograph printer.

This is a specious argument, at best. That and vector charts have
essentially unlimited resolution (granted, raster charts are being used in
the original post). The quality of detail varies based on the source data
and the chart provider. Some offer considerable detail. Digital charting
systems also afford a greater range of searching, both for route planning
and guide information. As in, find me all restaurants within 10 navigable
miles, Garmin's doing that sort of thing now on their latest chartplotters.

it is not everywhere and it simply is not ready for prime time.

Perhaps not for you. But people who actually use current digital commercial
charting solutions appreciate otherwise.

I think the half-assed hack using google data is just that, but do not
confuse it with what is actually being done with digital navigation tools.

You can always run a virtual PC to solve this problem.

And you could also use VNC inside each virtual session. Bearing in mind the
old saying "robbing Peter to pay Paul", virtual sessions require
considerable amounts of CPU power and RAM. This is less of a problem using
modern equipment. But a system capable of running virtual sessions
effectively is likely to chew up a significant amount of electrical power.
For desktop situations this isn't a big deal, but in a boat, running off a
12v system it certainly will be.

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Larry,
No, the chart source is only one issue in the certification process, it is
not getting through to me. The risks are still there and the more elements
involved, the greater the risk. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I for one
could not rely on any electronic display for critical navigation anywhere.
The basic limitations are there as well, like 100+ pixels per linear screen
inch at best, as opposed to 2400+ on a lithograph printer. In order to
express the detail, it is necessary to drill down and that info may or not
be there. When it is, that's all you see, the big picture is lost. If your
hobby is computers and networking, enjoy it, but do not rely on this
technology, it is not robust, it is not everywhere and it simply is not
ready for prime time.

So, are you claiming that anyone who uses a chartplotter is a danger to
himself and those around him? While I'm still not ready to give up on
paper, my new Garmin 545 (5 inch, hi res) was a joy to use during a
mostly fogbound Maine cruise last summer. The biggest change over my 10
year GPS is the speed at which it can zoom in/out.

OTOH, I've been playing with a low power Linux laptop with a GPS puck
running chart software, and while its fun, I've not been convinced it
can replace a dedicated machine.

Jeff,
I absolutely stand by what I stated. Please do not confuse my comments with
the dedicated and certified professional chart systems that are available
and in use, but those are not what Larry has spoken about. Those
professional systems are very expensive and they are supported with
maintenance subscriptions for continuous updates for both software and
source data without which, certifications are no longer valid. Please also
note that they are NOT ever used without paper chart back up. This is not
hypothetical, please recall a couple of years back the USAF DC9 that was
transporting a US Senator in Yugoslavia using electronic Jepperson Plates
looking for a local airport and flew into a mountainside in poor visibility
because the Plate was in error and that system was certified. Even the
professional systems are subject to same limitations I mentioned before.
Sure, they are fun to play with, but they are unreliable, inadequately
tested, often in error and are dangerous if taken as the last word. Use them
at your own risk.
Steve

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Jeff,
I absolutely stand by what I stated. Please do not confuse my comments with
the dedicated and certified professional chart systems that are available
and in use, but those are not what Larry has spoken about. Those
professional systems are very expensive and they are supported with
maintenance subscriptions for continuous updates for both software and
source data without which, certifications are no longer valid.

In other words they are expensive and only available to large ships and
expensive yachts, not the recreational sailors in this group. So you
claim that the readers here to not deserve to have chartplotters.

Please also
note that they are NOT ever used without paper chart back up.

On this point I would agree; I don't leave the slip without a paper
chart on deck. However, the new chartplotter means the paper is hardly
ever used.

This is not
hypothetical, please recall a couple of years back the USAF DC9 that was
transporting a US Senator in Yugoslavia using electronic Jepperson Plates
looking for a local airport and flew into a mountainside in poor visibility
because the Plate was in error and that system was certified. Even the
professional systems are subject to same limitations I mentioned before.

Well that sure proves your point! Air navigation in Yugoslavia
certainly has a lot in common with Larry's marine navigation in
Charleston. And was the problem that the mountain had moved since the
last chart was made?

Sure, they are fun to play with, but they are unreliable, inadequately
tested, often in error and are dangerous if taken as the last word. Use them
at your own risk.

I'm not debating the merits of the homebrew, low power systems. In
fact, I admitted I'm playing with one that I don't expect to replace any
other gear. However, the current generation of mid-price chartplotters,
$600-$1200, are a great boon to recreational sailors, whether weekend
warriors or cruisers even though they don't come close to your
standards. One thing I've noticed of the last 10 years is a great
reduction in the number of simple groundings - I attribute that to an
increase in the use of small chartplotters.

Moreover, the number of fatalities and injuries related to groundings
are tiny compared to other causes. Its hard to prove that poor
navigation, regardless of the cause, is a significant problem at all.

Steve