Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Google Ocean Charts in the palm of your hand....

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote

I suppose if you have a poor connection, it would be an issue, but
relying on it without a non-electronic backup would be foolish. If you
have a decent connection, using it is one thing; relying on it is
another.

There are issues other than relying on a navigational aid. Even if you
have paper backup (which I 100% endorse) the distraction factor of having
the electronics go down and switching over could get you in trouble in a
tight situation. I've never seen my GPS even blink so dont' worry about
it too much. Once you add all the links in the chain and potential
failure points of a wireless and complex system, the probability of have a
failure skyrocket. My little handheld GPSmap76cx is about as complex as
I'm inclined to get with my electronic navigation.

If I had a powerboat and a nice, big, dry place to put the stuff, I
probably would feel differently. But then I wouldn't be able to afford it
at today's fuel prices

--
Roger Long

Yep... diesel is over $5/g now here... I think I still have enough to last
the season.

Everytime my onboard GPS stops working, I tell the person standing near the
antenna to move.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com