Wethead

Default Depth sounder transducer question

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead
Henry

I too had a similar depth sounder/fishfinder. A Seafarer, made in the UK.

The frequency was 150 Khz. Modern sounders seem to be 200 so a new display
will not work on the old transducer.

The problem isn't buying a new unit, the expensive bit is hauling out to
install the new transducer. I bought a new unit and intend to install it
in-hull in an oil bath.

Henry

Jeannette

A few years ago I bought a Choy Lee that had one of those old
depthsounder. It was dead so I removed it. I went to West Marine and
bought a new Standard Horizon sounder. The little white one that
mounts on a bracket. I think DS35. They told me at the store that it
wouldn't work with the old transducer but it worked just fine. Don't
believe all you hear or read. It it won't work you can get a
transducer that works thru the hull.

Jeannette

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:51:44 -0700, Wethead
wrote:

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

Brian Whatcott

Jeannette had this response about right. The other response wasn't
exactly wrong either. Transducers work at various frequencies: if
the transmitter is heavily optimised on a particular sender, it may
give reduced power hence range on another. It may even go silent.
A functional test should not damage anything.

Brian W

wrote:

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

BrianH

Wethead wrote:
I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind
with a red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated
markings. Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000
miles away right now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to
read. It uses a through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into
the hull. I would like to replace the unit with something more modern
and easier to read. The question is, is it at all possible to use the
existing transducer, or do I have to buy and install a new one? Is a
transducer a transducer, or are they brand or unit or type specific?
Manufacturer's seem to give no information on this. I'd rather use
the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

I have exactly the same problem. The old unit is an EchoPilot now 24 years
old but still functioning - sort of.

I wrote to the company (www.echopilot.com) - who still make the old
rotating LED "Classic", explaining that I wanted a cockpit mounted dial with
dual log and depth functionality and they recommended one of their Bronze
range models, which has a multiple frequency ability and can interface with
the existing transducer. The downside is that their prices seem higher than
competitive products, but it was possible to order the display only.

I still have to receive and fit the unit so I cannot say if the project is
successful or not.

Best,

BrianH.

Jürgen Spelter

I think You have to remember the brand of the device because of the
frequency. Modern sounders work with 200 kHz, 50 kHz or both. If you now the
brand of your sounder or transducer, you can get the information You need.
I`m not really sure, but most of that tradidional echosounders with that
rotating disk work with 200 kHz.
I myself bought an old used device of that kind, brand was rather unknown
and connected it to a new transducer of 200 kHz.

Juergen

"Wethead" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

Free Rider

You might laugh at this, but it works, and it works REALLY well. I had a
very costly Nexus depth sounder unit, which all works well EXCEPT for the
"box" that delivers the signal from the transducer to the MFD
(multi-function display) in the cockpit, as one of the connectors RUSTED
off! You would think that a marine-savvy company like Nexus would make their
terminal connectors out of gold, especially for the cost.

Anyhow, when installing my new Lowrance X-51 fishfinder (yep, I think the
display showing bottom trends and the $150 it costs is a MUCH better
solution to a $400 digital-only display!) transducer, I used some CLAY, yes,
the very same clay you played with as a child (the greasy stuff, not Playdoh
or anything like that) to hold it position on the hull to find the best
mounting point (was going to epoxy a pvc tube with the transducer submerged
in mineral oil). I thought to myself, why epoxy this when it seems to be
getting a great signal and I'll give it a test. After several months of
sailing in known bays and such noting the flawless performance and accuracy
of this clay-mounted transducer, I completely forgot that I had never
"permanently" mounted the transducer. 4 years later, and with absolutely NO
problems with sensitivity nor any other kind of malfunction, it is still
held in place with that very same piece of clay.

I guess the sailing mags and the epoxy companies won't care for this
solution as it goes against their recommendations, but I have yet to run
aground due to an innacurate reading from my clay-mounted transducer in 4
years. BTW, anyone that trusts ANY depth sounder this completely is a fool.
Point is, it works this way.

"Wethead" wrote in message

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

Hank

Funny about the clay -- whatever works!

I have a great solution for a shoot-thru hull application. Forget about the
PVC and mineral oil. I took a heavy plastic cup to use as a mold for West
System. Cut it at an angle to match the hull and use clay to seal the base
(cup is inverted with bottom cut out). Use West with SLOW hardener -- pour
enough to get a level surface. Wait for the epoxy to kick. Leave the cup in
place, and set the transducer on top and pour a little more West into the
cup. After it hardens, remove the cup.

I have a Lowrance X70A that never worked very well with the original factory
transducer. A friend gave me a hockey puck 200 Khz transducer (about 2" in
diameter - much larger than those supplied by Lowrance). You would not
believe how well it works. The transducer "pop" resonates about the hull and
soundings are excellent. My other sounder (a thru-hull B&G) can't even get
close. You of course need a solid (not cored) hull.

Hank S.
S Florida

"Wethead" wrote in message

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

Wethead

Sorry for top-posting ... seems easier in this situation.

Thanks for all the responses. I learned a lot. Love the clay. I don't know
if I will try it, but it seems as though a good in-hull installation should
work well enough for my needs. I'll get a new unit with an in-hull
transducer and try the old one also. If it doesn't work, I can take it out
down the line somewhere. I think the existing unit is a Seafarer. I know it
is made in the UK.

Anyway, thanks again.

Wethead

Wethead wrote:

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

rhys

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:32:47 GMT, "Free Rider"
wrote:

I guess the sailing mags and the epoxy companies won't care for this
solution as it goes against their recommendations, but I have yet to run
aground due to an innacurate reading from my clay-mounted transducer in 4
years. BTW, anyone that trusts ANY depth sounder this completely is a fool.
Point is, it works this way.

This closely mirrors my own experience, but I'll add my two cents:

I too have a working Seafarer III "ring" type of nav station depth
sounder. I even pulled a spare unit from the yacht club garabe, "just
in case". But it's no damn use to me at the nav station, because I
single hand from a tiller position. So this was my solution. I got a
cheapo "Eagle" brand grayscale display fishfinder and a "puck" type
transducer. I placed the puck with putty forward of the keel angled
about 5-10 degrees facing forward just aft of the V-berth. After a bit
of fiddling and experimentation, I got quite accurate depth soundings
as confirmed by lead line. And, let's face it, who gives a rat's ass
if you read 90 feet when it's actually 102 feet? What you want is a
reading of 10 feet when it's 11 feet G.

So back to the display. This I mounted on the edge of the nav station
so that it's visible from the companionway. I use the large (two or
three inches or so) digital display when underway (backlit at night)
and the "bottom contour" display when thinking about anchoring or
using a bottom feature like a wreck to confirm navigation. I have a
handheld GPS on a folding lamp arm in the same spot. When I need it, I
extend and lash (in bad weather) the boat-powered GPS (a basic
Magellan unit) into the companionway "viewscreen"). Thus, for the $100
the findfinder cost, and the $150 the GPS cost, I have a great deal of
information to compliment whatever pilotage skills I possess.

Later in life, when they are cheaper, I will have a wireless,
networked multi-display waterproofed LCD screen glued to a bulkhead.
But today, this works for me....and hasn't involved any more holes in
the boat.

R.