Hank

Default Depth sounder transducer question

Funny about the clay -- whatever works!

I have a great solution for a shoot-thru hull application. Forget about the
PVC and mineral oil. I took a heavy plastic cup to use as a mold for West
System. Cut it at an angle to match the hull and use clay to seal the base
(cup is inverted with bottom cut out). Use West with SLOW hardener -- pour
enough to get a level surface. Wait for the epoxy to kick. Leave the cup in
place, and set the transducer on top and pour a little more West into the
cup. After it hardens, remove the cup.

I have a Lowrance X70A that never worked very well with the original factory
transducer. A friend gave me a hockey puck 200 Khz transducer (about 2" in
diameter - much larger than those supplied by Lowrance). You would not
believe how well it works. The transducer "pop" resonates about the hull and
soundings are excellent. My other sounder (a thru-hull B&G) can't even get
close. You of course need a solid (not cored) hull.

Hank S.
S Florida

"Wethead" wrote in message

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead