Jeannette

Default Depth sounder transducer question

A few years ago I bought a Choy Lee that had one of those old
depthsounder. It was dead so I removed it. I went to West Marine and
bought a new Standard Horizon sounder. The little white one that
mounts on a bracket. I think DS35. They told me at the store that it
wouldn't work with the old transducer but it worked just fine. Don't
believe all you hear or read. It it won't work you can get a
transducer that works thru the hull.

Jeannette

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:51:44 -0700, Wethead
wrote:

I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind with a
red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated markings.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000 miles away right
now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to read. It uses a
through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into the hull. I would like
to replace the unit with something more modern and easier to read. The
question is, is it at all possible to use the existing transducer, or do I
have to buy and install a new one? Is a transducer a transducer, or are
they brand or unit or type specific? Manufacturer's seem to give no
information on this. I'd rather use the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead