BrianH

Default Depth sounder transducer question

Wethead wrote:
I am inexperienced, so cut me some slack.

I have this 28' sailboat that has an older depth sounder, the kind
with a red light that moves in a circular pattern around graduated
markings. Sorry, I don't remember the brand, and the boat is 2000
miles away right now. The sounder is unreliable and difficult to
read. It uses a through-hull tansducer that is heavily glassed into
the hull. I would like to replace the unit with something more modern
and easier to read. The question is, is it at all possible to use the
existing transducer, or do I have to buy and install a new one? Is a
transducer a transducer, or are they brand or unit or type specific?
Manufacturer's seem to give no information on this. I'd rather use
the existing transducer, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wethead

I have exactly the same problem. The old unit is an EchoPilot now 24 years
old but still functioning - sort of.

I wrote to the company (www.echopilot.com) - who still make the old
rotating LED "Classic", explaining that I wanted a cockpit mounted dial with
dual log and depth functionality and they recommended one of their Bronze
range models, which has a multiple frequency ability and can interface with
the existing transducer. The downside is that their prices seem higher than
competitive products, but it was possible to order the display only.

I still have to receive and fit the unit so I cannot say if the project is
successful or not.

Best,

BrianH.