Jere Lull

Default SR Mariner Depth Sounder

Ryk wrote:

I'll put the obvious question at the top:

Can anybody recommend a depth sounder that would be a good replacement
for an old SR mariner and fit the same holes (through hull and
display). My criteria are accurate shallow (say 0 to 30 feet) depth
and a settable alarm depth.

I had one, bit the bullet and punched new holes for the one that did
what I wanted. A few years ago I noticed one of the companies had the
old style hocky puck ones that fits through a 1/2" pipe hole. Another
alternative is to fill in the original hole and mount the transducer
inside the hull. (this was discussed a month or two ago.)

Personally, I tend to update to the best technology value at the time I
buy. Right now, that seems to be a fish finder or possibly one that
scans a bit forward. They're about the same cost, sometimes cheaper, but
none will fit the original display's hole.

I'm not sure, but I think I saw that the SR Mariners can still be serviced.

I have become aware that my SR Mariner Depth Sounder (analog and about
23 years old) has become increasingly approximate, giving some bad
readings that I knew were wrong, but mostly in deeper water where I
don't care much and figured on loss of signal as the cause. However,
just last week it was reading a solid 30 feet in water that was
demonstrably about 10 to 12 feet deep based on visually confirming
vertical anchor contact with bottom. The bottom was weed-free hard,
flat mud/clay. Later on it was reading less than my draft in an area
where I knew I had at least ten feet to the top of the weeds.

Could the last be fish or plant life? We often have to "interpret" the
readings as they go from 8.1 to 4.5 to 7.8 to 2.3 and so forth in rapid
succession.

--
Jere Lull

Ryk

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:34:58 GMT, in message

Jere Lull wrote:

Ryk wrote:
Later on it was reading less than my draft in an area
where I knew I had at least ten feet to the top of the weeds.

Could the last be fish or plant life? We often have to "interpret" the
readings as they go from 8.1 to 4.5 to 7.8 to 2.3 and so forth in rapid
succession.

Zebra mussels have made our water extremely clear, so I could look
over the side and see the weeds in their usual places and the usual
lack of fish.

Ryk

In article , Jere says...

I'm not sure, but I think I saw that the SR Mariners can still be serviced.

SR Instruments Inc.
600 Young St
Tonawanda NY 14150
716-693-5977

Is the address I found from a search of past posts - I believe them to still be
around. You could get your current one serviced, or purchase a new one to fit
the existing cutouts.

hth
sdg

In article , Ryk says...

Thanks for reminding me. Last time I looked they didn't have a web
site, or at least I didn't find it. http://www.sr-i.org/sr/ I have
email them to ask about servicing / reconditioning.

The instruments look virtually identical to the 23 year old units on
the boat. I wonder if they have improved on the technology?

Hey Ryk

You're right - they have not really changed.

I guess there would be a school of thought that they work well and are simple,
don't mess with them any further. A knotmeter for example still usually has a
paddle-wheel to a display unit. Some people like digital, and they consume
electricity. A manual gauge is easy to eyeball, and some can work with no other
electical input than the paddle itself. Simple, and does one thing.

Good Luck
sdg Bayfield 29 "Discovery"

Terry Spragg

Dan Best wrote:

I used to have an analog SR Mariner of the same vintage that would
sometimes read exactly double the actual depth (confirmed with a lead
line). I wound up replacing it with a fish finder, even though it
wouldn't go into the same hole (I covered the hole with a nice looking
teak piece, then eventually mounted something else into the teak
piece). After having used the fish finders on two boats now, I would
never go back to a simple depth finder. Instead of showing me what the
depth is at this instant, it now shows me whether its rapidly shoaling,
rocky, smooth, etc..

Good luck - Dan

Ryk wrote:

just last week it was reading a solid 30 feet in water that was
demonstrably about 10 to 12 feet deep based on visually confirming
vertical anchor contact with bottom. The bottom was weed-free hard,
flat mud/clay. Later on it was reading less than my draft in an area
where I knew I had at least ten feet to the top of the weeds.

I know that the obvious answer is "get a new depth sounder" but
thought I might ask if anybody knows of any miracle cures.

Reducing gain in older models can reduce multiple echos which can
come at just over one rotation of the scan blinker, showing
perhaps 1 foot where the water is 51 feet deep, while using the
50' range, etc. Bubbles, fish and keel echos can also present
mysteries akin.

A little lube on the rotating shaft can clear some things up, and
the delicate shaft end contactor must be kept clean. The rpm is
limited electronically, except where bearings are gummy. They
seldom overspeed causing false deeper indicator errors, but when
they do, the servo is easily fixed, it is almost always a
regulator chip. I had, and fixed, a few. A slow rpm shows false
shallow indications. The bearings on these older systems can
become uncooperative intermittently depanding on temperature,
humidity, dust, and smoking gum accumulations.

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Ryk

On 3 Aug 2003 10:33:08 -0700, in message
wrote:

In article , Ryk says...

Thanks for reminding me. Last time I looked they didn't have a web
site, or at least I didn't find it.
http://www.sr-i.org/sr/ I have
email them to ask about servicing / reconditioning.

The instruments look virtually identical to the 23 year old units on
the boat. I wonder if they have improved on the technology?

Hey Ryk

You're right - they have not really changed.

I guess there would be a school of thought that they work well and are simple,
don't mess with them any further. A knotmeter for example still usually has a
paddle-wheel to a display unit. Some people like digital, and they consume
electricity. A manual gauge is easy to eyeball, and some can work with no other
electical input than the paddle itself. Simple, and does one thing.

I'm still pretty happy with the knot/log, and have long experience
with it since I had the same one on my previous boat. It draws a
little power, but not enough to care about, and could just as easily
do that as an electronic version with LED display. To be quite honest,
my only complaint with it is that it tops out at 10 knots, so I don't
get to brag about peak surfing speeds ;-)

The depth sounding technology OTOH, seems to have advanced
substantially since the seventies, with digital signal processing
providing the opportunity to get more info out of weaker signals,
potentially providing a better instrument that eats much less power,
and with higher resolutions when you really want to know the
difference between 6 feet and 7 feet.

Add to that the indignation of some of my crew when I ask them to move
so I can see the bulkhead mounted instruments, and some smarter
instruments with repeater(s) look a little more attractive.....

So my dilemma now is finding a solution that gives me reliable depth
pretty soon now, without spending a ton of money, while remaining
compatible with later potential upgrades.

I emailed SR Mariner and they replied that yes they do troubleshoot
and repair older units on the basis of US$40 / hr, just in case
anybody else was interested.

Ryk

Eagle Depth Finder Transducer Problems Fred Reyes General 5 June 23rd 04 11:49 PM
No fire mariner kendot21 General 3 January 5th 04 07:23 PM
Depth finder J K General 0 December 6th 03 04:40 PM
Replacing Lowrance depth finder butch burton General 5 October 16th 03 09:59 AM
Mariner vs MercCruiser Tailgunner General 2 August 16th 03 01:37 AM