Ryk

Default SR Mariner Depth Sounder

On 3 Aug 2003 10:33:08 -0700, in message
wrote:

In article , Ryk says...

Thanks for reminding me. Last time I looked they didn't have a web
site, or at least I didn't find it.
http://www.sr-i.org/sr/ I have
email them to ask about servicing / reconditioning.

The instruments look virtually identical to the 23 year old units on
the boat. I wonder if they have improved on the technology?

Hey Ryk

You're right - they have not really changed.

I guess there would be a school of thought that they work well and are simple,
don't mess with them any further. A knotmeter for example still usually has a
paddle-wheel to a display unit. Some people like digital, and they consume
electricity. A manual gauge is easy to eyeball, and some can work with no other
electical input than the paddle itself. Simple, and does one thing.

I'm still pretty happy with the knot/log, and have long experience
with it since I had the same one on my previous boat. It draws a
little power, but not enough to care about, and could just as easily
do that as an electronic version with LED display. To be quite honest,
my only complaint with it is that it tops out at 10 knots, so I don't
get to brag about peak surfing speeds ;-)

The depth sounding technology OTOH, seems to have advanced
substantially since the seventies, with digital signal processing
providing the opportunity to get more info out of weaker signals,
potentially providing a better instrument that eats much less power,
and with higher resolutions when you really want to know the
difference between 6 feet and 7 feet.

Add to that the indignation of some of my crew when I ask them to move
so I can see the bulkhead mounted instruments, and some smarter
instruments with repeater(s) look a little more attractive.....

So my dilemma now is finding a solution that gives me reliable depth
pretty soon now, without spending a ton of money, while remaining
compatible with later potential upgrades.

I emailed SR Mariner and they replied that yes they do troubleshoot
and repair older units on the basis of US$40 / hr, just in case
anybody else was interested.

Ryk