Default Mosquito netting..

... I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

--
Molesworth

Molesworth wrote:

.. I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

We have a complete set of curtains with clear vinyl that zip all
around the bimini and snap down to the cockpit combing. We also have
some panels that have screening in them instead of vinyl. But we
rarely use them. We use the clear vinyl curtains when it is raining
or cold, but when we are moving, we don't have so much trouble
mosquitoes. (Flies are more of a problem in the Chesapeake, but in
that case, we both man the flyswatters).

The curtains, as has been mentioned, even with screening instead of a
solid vinyl insert, restrict the air movement if it is hot. Since we
don't ever use them, they've lasted very well g

We do have a screen to insert in the companionway and screens on all
the ports and hatches for when we are anchored, and if mosquitoes get
too bad in the cockpit, we retreat to the cabin.

However, no-see-ums are an entirely different proposition because they
will go through regular screening. What I have seen done is that
someone has taken fine gauze and sewn weights around the edges and
made a companionway cover from it. If there are no-see-ums, they
throw this netting over the companionway.

I don't think you'd want the material sewn to the bimini because it
would be a pain to change it out.

On 2008-05-23 12:56:12 -0400, Molesworth said:

.. I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

Most put screening on the companionway and hatches, retreating indoors
at dusk. That's do-able.

Enclosing the whole cockpit effectively is between "more difficult" and
"nearly impossible", depending on how complex the area.

One thought I'd heard that might be do-able is to modify one of those
outdoor screened "tents" to fit.

--
Jere Lull

There is a screen product designed to fit over outdoor umbrellas on your
patio that works extremely well over you bimini. I have used it to cover my
entire cockpit. A few clothes pins helps to keep it in place. It even has
a zipper to access your stern ladder. It is available at ant store that
sells patio firniture at a cost much less than any product designed for
marine use.

In article 2008052413410716807-jerelull@maccom,

On 2008-05-23 12:56:12 -0400, Molesworth said:

.. I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

Most put screening on the companionway and hatches, retreating indoors
at dusk. That's do-able.

Enclosing the whole cockpit effectively is between "more difficult" and
"nearly impossible", depending on how complex the area.

One thought I'd heard that might be do-able is to modify one of those
outdoor screened "tents" to fit.

Total length and width is around 14 X 14 (to drop to the coaming center
cockpit)

It's no biggie, I could drop it over the bimini, when we anchor, in
seconds.

But I didn't realize that it would prevent breezes :-(

Thanks for everyones input.

--
Molesworth

On 2008-05-23 12:56:12 -0400, Molesworth said:

.. I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

Most put screening on the companionway and hatches, retreating indoors at
dusk. That's do-able.

Enclosing the whole cockpit effectively is between "more difficult" and
"nearly impossible", depending on how complex the area.

One thought I'd heard that might be do-able is to modify one of those
outdoor screened "tents" to fit.

You should have stopped after your first sentence. That's all I agree with.

Few things look dumber than a cockpit enclosed with mosquito/noseeum
netting. It's just so motorboatish! It's totally unnecessary and ugly. It's
lubberly looking. What's next for sailboats? Let's see. First enclose the
cockpit with mosquito netting with bimini/dodger effectively making another
roof over 1/3 of the boat. Then hang mosquito netting on the lifelines
around the circumference of the boat. Then put up a full awning and attach
some more mosquito netting from deck to awning. Then you might as well make
a rigid awning so it doesn't flap in strong winds. Voila, you get a second
story on your sailboat. That means moving the boom up several feet so it
clears. Never mind the loss of sail area. You mostly motor anyway. Now that
you have a second story you can load it up with patio furniture. But that
sun is so bright it's hot and unbearable so put a couple or three biminis
atop the second story . . . You get the picture. Look at some of the larger
motorboats and that's what you see. Enclosure atop enclosure. Absurd and
asinine!

If you can't stand a few bugs at night then stay home! Or, get a clue and
anchor for the night in an area where bugs are not a bother. A screen in the
companionway hatch and screens in the opening hatches are all any real
sailor needs. Lose the motorboat mentality!

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2008-05-24 19:39:01 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

"Jere Lull" wrote in message

Most put screening on the companionway and hatches, retreating indoors at
dusk. That's do-able.

Enclosing the whole cockpit effectively is between "more difficult" and
"nearly impossible", depending on how complex the area.

One thought I'd heard that might be do-able is to modify one of those
outdoor screened "tents" to fit.

You should have stopped after your first sentence. That's all I agree with.

Few things look dumber than a cockpit enclosed with mosquito/noseeum
netting.

I added no value judgement though I don't intend to expend that effort on Xan,

But we *do* have the maximum-area bimini we could fit. Once installed,
my wife got far more comfortable -- and likely to accompany me for long
sails -- which is what it's all about. Hardly any cruising boat lacks a
dodger and bimini ...

.... and something hanging off them blocking the late-afternoon sun....

Draping a simple net over a bimini wouldn't be that much different.
Sounds hot, but that may be what it takes in his area to get the family
onboard after dusk.

--
Jere Lull

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
But we *do* have the maximum-area bimini we could fit. Once installed, my
wife got far more comfortable -- and likely to accompany me for long
sails -- which is what it's all about. Hardly any cruising boat lacks a
dodger and bimini ...

... and something hanging off them blocking the late-afternoon sun....

Draping a simple net over a bimini wouldn't be that much different. Sounds
hot, but that may be what it takes in his area to get the family onboard
after dusk.

Mistake #1 Catering to the wife! A real sailor doesn't compromise his boat
for the sake of ANY woman! If a woman wants all the comforts of home make it
clear that is where she should remain. If she wants to go sailing educate
her as to what sailing involves. If, when she discovers that sailing is no
picnic she is less than enthusiastic, then all the better for you because
she will then willingly stay home.

Mistake #2 Dodgers are stupid and stupid looking. They are just a fad or a
gimmick. They add more weight up high and windage and they make it difficult
to see forward and to go forward in some cases. I've seen too many helmsmen
perched on the windward cockpit coaming leaning out just to see around some
crummy dodger with so-called clear plastic window in front that's like
trying to look through wax paper.

Mistake #3 Getting the family onboard any time is to make a sailboat a
floating day care center. Leave the wife and kids at home and go sailing.
You can't really go sailing with the family along. That's the main reason
Bobsprit recently gave up sailing after years of abortive and futile
attempts. He allowed his boat to become a day care center and a hen ship.
Pathetic! Can you imagine the *******ization of sailing that occurred aboard
any of his boats? There's the non-stop hi-pitched and irritating female
voices going non-stop, there's the whining and crying of young kids and
babies, there's the smelly diaper bag and urine soaking the cushions.
There's the drinks spilled all over the place by the brat(s), there's the
women queuing up at the toilet and clogging it with large clumps of toilet
paper and even tampons. There's the excessive use of water requiring the
tank to be filled every day. There's the stench of cheap perfume, underarm
deodorants and feminine hygiene spray. Then there's the slippery and
dangerous sun tan oil smeared all over everything. Can you say travesty?

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2008-05-25 11:41:15 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Mistake #1 Catering to the wife! A real sailor doesn't compromise his
boat for the sake of ANY woman!

Not if you have one that you like to wake up next to.

Cruising is not just about sailing. It's the movement and the
stillness, the solitude and the camaraderie, the boisterous romps and
the drifters.

Mistake #2 Dodgers are stupid and stupid looking.

Don't have one, myself, but some boats need them (mis-designed, to my mind).

--
Jere Lull

Mosquito Net, or Whatever to cover the companionway .. question NE Sailboat Cruising 12 December 5th 06 02:57 AM
mosquito net recommendations ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 13 August 8th 05 08:36 AM
mosquito netting? sherwindu Cruising 4 February 23rd 05 06:38 AM
Guardrail netting Greyhawk Cruising 0 May 19th 04 10:30 AM
How to make a cargo netting for bowsprit? MLapla4120 Cruising 2 August 14th 03 01:32 AM