Courtney Thomas

Default mosquito net recommendations ?

Recommendations for netting with maximal air flow and minimal cost is
requested.

Thank you,
Courtney
Rosalie B.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Recommendations for netting with maximal air flow and minimal cost is
requested.

Depending on where you are, a mosquito net may not be adequate. You
may need something with a finer mesh to keep out no see ums.

grandma Rosalie
Larry

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Depending on where you are, a mosquito net may not be adequate. You
may need something with a finer mesh to keep out no see ums.

grandma Rosalie

In Mosquito Bay just inside Ponce Inlet, Florida, the mosquitoes would
simply rip apart anything less than expanded steel with their teeth on the
way into your berth. The party boys I sail with insisted we stop at that
marina because it has a big outside bar with live music and chicks. I
ended up sleeping in the marina office on a table after the security guard
took pity on me, giving me a whole can of OFF so I could make it across the
parking lot with my 9,382 mosquitoes in hot pursuit.

The mosquitoes that had already eaten me were trapped INSIDE the expensive
screens in the forward hatch of the V-berth. They just wanted to get out
so there'd be more room in the compartment for the next wave that hadn't
eaten me, yet....

--
Larry
chuck

Try bridal net (help me: I can't recall its "technical name"). It is
cheap, widely available, and fairly effective. Don't recall anything
getting past it in some badly infested areas.

Good luck.

Chuck

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Recommendations for netting with maximal air flow and minimal cost is
requested.

Thank you,
Courtney

Keith

Defender has good no-see-um netting at a good price.

Denis Marier

The no-see-um netting is what I used for years.
I have learned that if I leave the lights on inside or outside the boat it
attracts insects.
Even when the anchor light is on I can see all these insects around it.
When anchored in a secured area I do not leave any lights on. I used a
citronella lamp in the middle of the cabin. It does provide enough light for
our need without having the no-see-um netting frames in place. When I turn
the incandescent or fluorescent light on all these insects come right in.
During the night I do not leave the netting on and no insects bothered us.
As a safety precaution we always carry rubbing alcohol for cleaning the
affected area and use calamine lotion to relieve the insect bites. So far we
have not use any for years. FWIW

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Defender has good no-see-um netting at a good price.

Rosalie B.

"Denis Marier" wrote:

The no-see-um netting is what I used for years.
I have learned that if I leave the lights on inside or outside the boat it
attracts insects.
Even when the anchor light is on I can see all these insects around it.
When anchored in a secured area I do not leave any lights on. I used a

Do you mean a designated anchorage? There are not very many of those
and I would caution against anchoring without displaying the
appropriate anchor light. Also I do not think that an anchor light
would attract mosquitoes or no-see-ums, because they are not that type
of insects, plus if the insects are at the anchor light, they are not
in the cabin. Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide.

citronella lamp in the middle of the cabin. It does provide enough light for
our need without having the no-see-um netting frames in place. When I turn

We use tap-it battery operated lights for visiting the head etc. But
there's usually enough light from the stars or moon (once you get
night adapted) to get around, and we have a carbon monoxide detector
(with a small light) in the aft cabin so that helps.

the incandescent or fluorescent light on all these insects come right in.
During the night I do not leave the netting on and no insects bothered us.
As a safety precaution we always carry rubbing alcohol for cleaning the
affected area and use calamine lotion to relieve the insect bites. So far we
have not use any for years. FWIW

We have screens on the ports, but they are not no-see-um screens. We
also have a hatch screen, but it doesn't fit very well.

"Keith" wrote in message
roups.com...
Defender has good no-see-um netting at a good price.

grandma Rosalie
Rosalie B.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Will citronella repel noseeums ?

Nothing repels no-see-ums except possibly heavy use of DEET. This is
what I wrote about them....

They are very tiny gnats (sand flies or biting midges) but their mouth
must be bigger than they are. British folks call them punkies. Not
only are they so tiny that three fit on the head of a pin, but they
have a wing beat of over 1000 times/sec. The only way you can see them
at a distance is thru the filtered forest sunlight... little specks of
pocket lint floating in the sun

They have a pound-for-pound bite far ahead of their horsefly or
deerfly relatives and they don't whine to warn you that they are
coming like mosquitoes do. They don't suck....they bite.

Actually, they chew up a little place on your skin and, much as the
mosquito regurgitate a little spit to keep everything flowing while
they dine.... The tip off that you have made the acquaintance of Ms.
Ceratopogonidae, AKA, devil insect- fly from the bad place, is that
about a day later, a small intensely itchy bump will rise from your
soft flesh. Later, it may develop a clear blister. Scratching and
digging at the bump, as you will doubtless do, only make it worse. The
itching, along with the bump, will fade after a week or so.
Hydrocortisone cream may work to control the itching.

The insecticides that might work have all been banned, although for
personal protection DEET works. It's best to be covered up at dusk,
but they are so small that the best protection is to go somewhere that
they aren't.

Most places have only one species of these - the ones that operate at
dusk. The Bahamas however has daytime ones too.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Recommendations for netting with maximal air flow and minimal cost is
requested.

Depending on where you are, a mosquito net may not be adequate. You
may need something with a finer mesh to keep out no see ums.

grandma Rosalie

grandma Rosalie
Larry

"Denis Marier" wrote in
:

As a safety precaution we always carry rubbing alcohol for cleaning
the affected area and use calamine lotion to relieve the insect bites.
So far we have not use any for years. FWIW

Try some "Afterbite", strong ammonia in a little stick tube applicator.
One touch and the sting even from a wasp goes away in seconds as the
ammonia just sucks the poison out.

http://www.tendercorp.com/afterbite.html

Available at fine drug stores on every corner of every street with more
than 100 cars an hour at amazing superretail prices. Ask for it by name!

--
Larry