Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Mosquito netting..

Molesworth wrote:

.. I'm considering how to attach mosquito (and no-see-um) netting around
the bimini.

Either overall covering sewn to the material or attach with velcro.

Anyone done this?

Does it last?

We have a complete set of curtains with clear vinyl that zip all
around the bimini and snap down to the cockpit combing. We also have
some panels that have screening in them instead of vinyl. But we
rarely use them. We use the clear vinyl curtains when it is raining
or cold, but when we are moving, we don't have so much trouble
mosquitoes. (Flies are more of a problem in the Chesapeake, but in
that case, we both man the flyswatters).

The curtains, as has been mentioned, even with screening instead of a
solid vinyl insert, restrict the air movement if it is hot. Since we
don't ever use them, they've lasted very well g

We do have a screen to insert in the companionway and screens on all
the ports and hatches for when we are anchored, and if mosquitoes get
too bad in the cockpit, we retreat to the cabin.

However, no-see-ums are an entirely different proposition because they
will go through regular screening. What I have seen done is that
someone has taken fine gauze and sewn weights around the edges and
made a companionway cover from it. If there are no-see-ums, they
throw this netting over the companionway.

I don't think you'd want the material sewn to the bimini because it
would be a pain to change it out.