JAXAshby

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

forgetting races boats here as the discussion was concerning blue water cruise
boats, few people achieve 200 mile days often on cruising boats.

Usually, people remember such days almost as well as they remember the times
the slept with and unusually beautiful woman within hours of meeting her.

All
you need is a day of good reaching conditions

it is like the story, "If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had
some eggs". A "day of good reaching conditions" is not ordered via internet
from Wal-Mart.

Not that difficult on a good boat, you just need
the right conditions.

in "right conditions" a litewait boat can make lots of miles, many more miles
than a boat built to take a hit from heavy seas. However, that very same
litewait speedster will become a misserable machine jerking every which way in
even mildly confused seas, let alone seriously rought conditions.

If the idea is to race across bodies of water as quickly as can be -- and
willing to take whatever discomfort when seas are not benign -- the speedster
will get you there. HOWEVER, that litewait speedster REQUIRES good crew and
lots of crew. *that* is not a safe practise for the short-handed boat.

A bunch of well-trained, well-conditioned athletes on a highly-tuneable race
boat is not the same boat as a couple in their 50's who maybe never were all
that athletic.

pulling down an 800 square foot mainsail in F5 and building is something
different to high end racers, work hardened by years of effort --something
totally different, and unsafe -- to the couple with the gray hair and decades
behind a desk.

horses for courses.

Jeff Morris

So I was right! You DID call the Coast Guard without even looking at the
intake! What a PUTZ!!! You can keep telling your story about how it was the
other guy that "declared an emergency" but everyone else in this group would
have said, "wait a minute, I'll check the intake." But you had to show off that
you could call in a MayDay! I bet you've been practicing since you were 8
years old!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
jeffies, for the gazillionth time, *I* did not declare an emergency, the hired
captain did (long story, a story the CG investigated)

Now you're claiming that the "professional" captain was a fraud
and a bozo.

yup. and it is documented -- not by me -- by many others on another part of
the net.

You claim to be the "engine expert" but you seem to be saying that
you called the Coast Guard rather than even look to see if the intake was
fouled.

the hired captain insisted the engine overheated and the boat owner accepted
that statement. I had considered leaving the boat two days before when docked
to fix the first "emergency" and figured when we got to shore this time I

would
indeed leave.

Extra heat in the cabin??? I suppose it could happen, but in a proper setup
by
the time you noticed the increase you would likely have done some damage, if
only to the hoses.

jeggies, you don't understand how much heat an overheated engine gives off how
quickly.

Without a gauge, it more likely the first sign would be the
smell of paint burning off the engine.

there was a guage visable to the hired captain.

JAXAshby

jeggies, you fricken idiot. AGAIN I'll tell you. the hired the captain
declared the emergency, and the owner concurred. The hired captain tried to
call the coast guard and was unable to do much other than key the mike. the
owner tried as well, and he too had no idea if he even had the things (one
handheld and one fixed mount radio) turned on. After more than 10 minutes of
watching this (engine shut down, sails flapping unattended) I picked up the
mike and made sure the radios were transmitting (talk on one radio, listen on
the other).

now, which word didn't you understand the first three dozen times you asked the
question?

So I was right! You DID call the Coast Guard without even looking at the
intake!

btw, jeggies, I did then and do now believe the engine was not overheating, and
the hired captain just wanted to abort the trip because he was getting on
another boat (much larger) shortly where he had women crew coming aboard.

This next boat was the undoing of the hired captain's fraud. The internet lit
up with complaints from the women about his groping behavior, followed shortly
by tales of the boat seriously damaged by bad handling, followed shortly by
tales of the hired captain being fired with fireworks, followed shortly by
tales of forged Masters License.

I have not said much about the hired captain in the past and will not go into
details here. Let's just say that when the third "emergency" was declared I
saw it as an opportunity to leave the boat.

Jeff Morris

Jaxie, the light at Diamond Shoal is 7 miles from a hazard. Seven Friggin
Miles! And its a "18 mile" light. And you had 3 GPS's. And you can safely
navigate the area with a depth sounder alone. If you were within "20 seconds of
turning back" you were LOST!

I've been within a few minutes of turning back, but it was in thick fog without
instruments, close to serious hazards. It would NOT be 20 miles offshore, with
3 GPS's! The only way there could have been any doubt at all is if there was no
one on board who could be trusted to use a GPS or to read a chart. Given the
talent you've displayed here, that's not too far fetched.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
But you never looked at a chart then, or after the fact to see where
you were.

we had up to date charts. the merchant marine with decades of experience, a
professional mariner who also had decades of offshore racing experience,

didn't
wish to risk his boat by accepting as gospel that the charts were totally
accurate. I think that was prudent judgement on his part, and if I were the
boat owner instead of him I would have done the same thing. The lights were
where the obstructions were. The lights may or maybe not be accurately placed
on the charts.

it is easy to understand, jeggies. I don't know why you are having a problem
with it.

Jeff Morris

So you sat for ten minutes watching without doing anything! You didn't check
the intake? You didn't trim the sails? You are a complete WASTE! Jaxie, you
better quit, you're making this worse with every telling!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

If you were within "20 seconds of
turning back" you were LOST!

30 seconds for me, before I spotted the light. the ower saw the light about 10
seconds after I did.

If I were lost, so was the owner of the boat, a merchant marine of decades
experience and decades of offshore racing experience as well. Good company it
seems.

JAXAshby

You didn't trim the sails?

actually, later while we waited several hours for the towboat to show up I did
in fact adjust the sails so that we were sailing (about 1/4 knot, maaaaybe 1/2
knot) towards the port the towboat was coming from. the hired captain adjusted
the sails so that we were heading away from port. I readjusted the sails and
was again making weigh towards port (we had the barest hint of winds, not even
enough to cause ripples on the water). This time the hired captain took the
sails down, wrapped sails around them and put on the sail cover on the main,
all -- he said -- to keep the sails from tearing. I then sat and waited for
what turned out to be a total of five (or six? or more?) hours for the towboat
to arrive.

Jaxie, you
better quit, you're making this worse with every telling!

jeggies, it was not my boat, and I was not the hired captain. what do expect I
should have done? hit the hired captain over the head with a winch handle?
Jeff Morris

You keep saying this over, and over, but the truth is, you were lost. Its
pretty clear that your captain had no faith in his own ability, or yours. The
only other explanation is that you had absolutely no idea what was going on.
Actually, I'd say both were true.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

If I were lost, so was the owner of the boat, a merchant marine of decades
experience and decades of offshore racing experience as well. Good company it
seems.

Jeff Morris

You drifted for 6 hours without checking the intake??? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 07:42 PM