Default Cape Horn WV info

Talked to a cruiser back from 4 years in the south pacific on an
Oceanis 43 with a Cape Horn windvane. He reports the vane worked well
with a couple of exceptions.
1) The tube transversing the transom is not watertight and following
seas do push water thru it.
2) His unit started sticking where the rod passes thru the plastic
bushing. After several emails with Cape Horn, they finally admitted that
the plastic they used had a tendency to absorb water and swell up to 15%.
The fix was to disassemble and bore out the bushing using the proper
sized drill.
Cape Horn told him the were "thinking" of going to delrin or something
else.
His unit is 5 years old and he didn't know if they have since upgraded.
The only other problem he encountered was a failed block. He reported
no abraded control lines.
BTW, his unit was installed by a Cape Horn rep.
Gordon

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:07:42 -0700, Gordon wrote:

[...]

There's a board used in aircraft still - been round for ever, that
looks like SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) that is called SRBF
where the fabric layers are made of linen. It's used for cable
fairleads. It turns out it has an unexpected property - it is durable
against frictional wear because it is self-lubricating. Who would have
guessed?

When I have proposed high density polyethylene for similar purposes
I have heard something like "we KNOW this works, how long does HDPE
last?". You can buy HDPE cutting boards at Walmart for peanuts -
and SRBF is expensive and hard to gert any more, But the Cape Horn
plastic bush story make this jump right back to mind!
(Nylon swells and weakens I believe?)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:22:24 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

There's a board used in aircraft still - been round for ever, that
looks like SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) that is called SRBF
where the fabric layers are made of linen. It's used for cable
fairleads. It turns out it has an unexpected property - it is durable
against frictional wear because it is self-lubricating. Who would have
guessed?

Don't Carp on about it..
http://www.tufnol.com/tufnol/default.asp?id=21

When I have proposed high density polyethylene for similar purposes
I have heard something like "we KNOW this works, how long does HDPE
last?". You can buy HDPE cutting boards at Walmart for peanuts -
and SRBF is expensive and hard to gert any more, But the Cape Horn
plastic bush story make this jump right back to mind!
(Nylon swells and weakens I believe?)

Yes, some types more than others.
http://machinedesign.com/BDE/materia...demat2_29.html

wrote:

There's a board used in aircraft still - been round for ever, that
looks like SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) that is called SRBF
where the fabric layers are made of linen. It's used for cable
fairleads. It turns out it has an unexpected property - it is durable
against frictional wear because it is self-lubricating. Who would have
guessed?

When I have proposed high density polyethylene for similar purposes
I have heard something like "we KNOW this works, how long does HDPE
last?". You can buy HDPE cutting boards at Walmart for peanuts -
and SRBF is expensive and hard to gert any more, But the Cape Horn
plastic bush story make this jump right back to mind!
(Nylon swells and weakens I believe?)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

FWIW - my experience

Nylon should not be used for underwater or near water bushings as it
has a tendancy to swell and thus tighten on the shaft.

I had the bottom and top bushing for my rudder made of HDPE and they
are still going strong - no swelling, no wear, no friction after 15
years in the water. It is the modern lignum vitae (sp?)

So far as I am concerned, the stuff is magic. You can drill it, saw
it, file and chisel it and can thus make a myriad of thing about the
boat. It is also cheap and readily available I find that the most
useful is an offcut slab of 20mm (0.75") which I was given from a
waste offcuts bin.

In addition to the inflatable I have a hard GRP 9' 6" dinghy which
breaks into two nesting halfs. In Australia I had to change the wooden
keel rubbing strake sometimes 6 monthly as nothing seemed to resist
the worms' boring activity, the dinghy being almost permanently in the
water. I tried Iron Bark and most other suggestions from the old
hands. I through bolted a length of HDPE to both halves and it is
still going stronge, sharp coral has no effect and even the barnacles
do not attach to it. Fantastic stuff.

The homeware shops and supermarkets sell breadboards which vary in
thickness from 2mm to about 12mm (0.5"). This stuff does not seem as
dense as the industrial HDPE I have but it comes in very useful as
washers, packers, shims, and anything else requiring a hard, cutable
inert and non-conductive material. I always carry a couple of
different sizes on board now.

regards
Peter

On Sun, 11 May 2008 06:56:43 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

Why is it that when I post to this newsgroup or write a hurriedly
email, I make so many bloody typos? When I type a report or such I
don't.
Damned annoying

wrote:

[...]

I think you are talking about Micarta, dates back to 1910 or
thereabout, and is still being used.

When I have proposed high density polyethylene for similar purposes
I have heard something like "we KNOW this works, how long does HDPE
last?". You can buy HDPE cutting boards at Walmart for peanuts -
and SRBF is expensive and hard to gert any more, But the Cape Horn
plastic bush story make this jump right back to mind!
(Nylon swells and weakens I believe?)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Bruce-in-Bangkok

wrote:

Why is it that when I post to this newsgroup or write a hurriedly
email, I make so many bloody typos? When I type a report or such I
don't.
Damned annoying

It is all that Greek coffee. Makes you hands shake and you miss the
keys :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok

wrote:

Why is it that when I post to this newsgroup or write a hurriedly
email, I make so many bloody typos? When I type a report or such I
don't.
Damned annoying

It is all that Greek coffee. Makes you hands shake and you miss the
keys :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok

No Bruce,
It's just the thoughts of all those beautiful Thai maidens.

Coupled with the uncontrollable drooling and dribbling it can be quite
embarrassing.

cheers
Peter

wrote:

Why is it that when I post to this newsgroup or write a hurriedly
email, I make so many bloody typos? When I type a report or such I
don't.
Damned annoying

It is all that Greek coffee. Makes you hands shake and you miss the
keys :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok

No Bruce,
It's just the thoughts of all those beautiful Thai maidens.

Coupled with the uncontrollable drooling and dribbling it can be quite
embarrassing.

cheers
Peter

Hey, we got some of them, you can have up to four of. No problem, just
be sure that you provide for them all equally, in all senses of the
word. (Which may make your hands shake even more).

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:18:24 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

No Bruce,
It's just the thoughts of all those beautiful Thai maidens.

Coupled with the uncontrollable drooling and dribbling it can be quite
embarrassing.

cheers
Peter

Hey, we got some of them, you can have up to four of. No problem, just
be sure that you provide for them all equally, in all senses of the
word. (Which may make your hands shake even more).

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Yeah, sure.

I am both sadly and yet gratefully coming to the end of a 33 year
marriage to only one woman.

As for Moslems being able to have four wives, I would mind you of one
of my favourite Englishman's comments

"The definition of bigamy is having one wife too many;
- monogamy is the same thing" - Oscar Wilde.

Besides, religions aside, many of the Americans I have met whilst
cruising are well on their way to having four wives, perhaps not more
than one at a time but a considerable number of the cruising couples I
have met are into their second or third marriages. I even met one man
who had remarried his first wife after two in between. I am aways
amused when i hear couples talk of "xxx's daughter came to stay"

No, I am seriously considering 'hieing me to a monastery" or going gay
without the sex. A lot of men I know are simply so easy to get along
with. But.... there are a lot of gorgeous Thai women. Come to think
of it, there are a lot of attractive women. My problem is that I am
looking for the perfect woman. I found one once but she wasn't
remotely interested in me. She was looking for the perfect man.

No. I think I'll just stick with my six beautiful kids. There are no
conditions and expiry date to a child's love and I have learned the
hard way the truth of my Malay friend's advice that "pretty women are
high maintenance".

Look after yourself and be careful of the seditious "un-American"
statements you have been making of late. They don't allow visitors at
Guantanamo Bay and there are no lovely Thai women.

cheers
Peter