Goofball_star_dot_etal Goofball_star_dot_etal is offline

Default Cape Horn WV info

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:22:24 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

There's a board used in aircraft still - been round for ever, that
looks like SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) that is called SRBF
where the fabric layers are made of linen. It's used for cable
fairleads. It turns out it has an unexpected property - it is durable
against frictional wear because it is self-lubricating. Who would have
guessed?

Don't Carp on about it..
http://www.tufnol.com/tufnol/default.asp?id=21

When I have proposed high density polyethylene for similar purposes
I have heard something like "we KNOW this works, how long does HDPE
last?". You can buy HDPE cutting boards at Walmart for peanuts -
and SRBF is expensive and hard to gert any more, But the Cape Horn
plastic bush story make this jump right back to mind!
(Nylon swells and weakens I believe?)

Yes, some types more than others.
http://machinedesign.com/BDE/materia...demat2_29.html