Default Any yacht brokers hang out here?

Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of the
upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more attractive
for sale or getting me a better price.

Sorry for the separate posts to .building and .cruising. I didn't think of
posting here until after I'd already posted to the other group.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Tom Dacon wrote:
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to
be preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I
have some questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about
doing. I'm wondering if I can get some informed opinions about
whether the cost of the upgrades would pay off, either in terms of
making the boat more attractive for sale or getting me a better price.

Sorry for the separate posts to .building and .cruising. I didn't
think of posting here until after I'd already posted to the other
group.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Best option to secure a better price is to have a full survey done, and made
available to serious bidders. I sold a yacht that had been on the market for
5 years by this method.

Dennis.

Oh yeah, I'll do a full survey too. But in addition to that what I want to
find out, if I can, is whether doing such things as adding radar or
replacing the ancient sails would repay the cost of the upgrade. When people
are selling houses, it seems to be pretty well-known how well upgrades such
as carpeting or kitchen remodeling pay off. I'm hoping to find yacht brokers
that have enough experience with this kind of thing that I can get some
advice about what would be good to do and what wouldn't.

Tom

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Tom Dacon wrote:
[...]

On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:22:20 -0700, "Tom Dacon"
wrote:

Oh yeah, I'll do a full survey too. But in addition to that what I want to
find out, if I can, is whether doing such things as adding radar or
replacing the ancient sails would repay the cost of the upgrade. When people
are selling houses, it seems to be pretty well-known how well upgrades such
as carpeting or kitchen remodeling pay off. I'm hoping to find yacht brokers
that have enough experience with this kind of thing that I can get some
advice about what would be good to do and what wouldn't.

I would vote no. The buyer will surely have their own ideas about
whether they want radar or any other electronics, and what brand/model
they prefer. It is unlikely that you will recover more than a small
percentage of anything you spend on sails or electronics.

Your best investments are those you can do your self like a good
cleaning, fresh coat of paint and nicely done bright work.

On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:53:58 -0700, "Tom Dacon"
wrote:

Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of the
upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more attractive
for sale or getting me a better price.

Sorry for the separate posts to .building and .cruising. I didn't think of
posting here until after I'd already posted to the other group.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

I had somewhat the same questions regarding paint/not painting the
topsides of a 40 ft. sloop I am planning on selling and talked to a
local (S.E.A.) broker who was quite specific on what he felt were the
best options. However I expect that to some extent it depends on your
location so perhaps a broker local to where the boat will be sold
would be a better selection.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

I was a yacht broker for the better part of the year, selling new and used
sailboats in Annapolis.

When I/we (this was taught to me by my fellow brokers) evaluated several
like used boats but with differing equipment, we would usually add the price
of the new bare equipment to the boat to normalizse the prices. We did this
more in evaluating prior sales prices than comparing current listings. New,
bare is roughly half of professionally installed equipment.

I sold one 25 year old boat that during a seatrial had obviously blown out
sails. The seller agreed to cut the sale price by half of the cost of new
sails. In this case you would only recoup half of your investment. FWIW a
used boat is presumed to be functional, ie all of its stuff works. If that
is not the case then there is often a price reduction to be negotiated after
survey/seatrial.

So, if you can do it yourself you can break even (sometimes), otherwise
forget it. As someone else noted, most buyers prefer to make their own
decisions about upgrades.

David

On 2008-05-03 15:52:11 -0400, "Dennis Pogson"
said:

Tom Dacon wrote:
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to
be preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I
have some questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about
doing. I'm wondering if I can get some informed opinions about
whether the cost of the upgrades would pay off, either in terms of
making the boat more attractive for sale or getting me a better price.

Best option to secure a better price is to have a full survey done, and made
available to serious bidders. I sold a yacht that had been on the market for
5 years by this method.

The unsaid thing: Spend your money on fixing the primary faults if you can.

--
Jere Lull

Thanks for your comments, folks.

Tom Dacon

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
news:U6GdnYzBQ5YuO4HVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@isomediainc. ..
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of
the upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more
attractive for sale or getting me a better price.

Sorry for the separate posts to .building and .cruising. I didn't think of
posting here until after I'd already posted to the other group.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Any yacht brokers hang out here? Tom Dacon Boat Building 8 May 10th 08 05:05 PM
Need a way to hang lines sherwindu General 3 September 4th 07 01:13 AM
Seattle-area brokers Wannacat General 2 October 12th 04 05:11 PM
Boat Brokers Florida Keyz Cruising 10 February 19th 04 07:50 PM
FS: International Yacht Brokers Cape - new listings posted daily in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 09:09 AM