posted to rec.boats.building

Default Any yacht brokers hang out here?

Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of the
upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more attractive
for sale or getting me a better price.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

On May 3, 12:27*pm, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of the
upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more attractive
for sale or getting me a better price.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

I'm not sure how the sail boat market is right now, but the power boat
market is real bad, brokers are apparently having a very bad year. I
don't beleave the sail boat market is much better. If I were you, I'd
probably stay away from the market for now, keep the money in my
pocket, unless you find a yard that's very hungry for work and will do
it for a low price just to keep their people busy and have some cash
flow.
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks - it's not actually going to be happening until summer or fall of
2009 at the earliest. I'm just doing some early research now, and I'm hoping
that by then the economy will have started to recover from the wreckage that
it's undergoing now.

Tom

On May 3, 9:27 am, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of the
upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more attractive
for sale or getting me a better price.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Hi there. My name is Tom Downard and I am a marine surveyor here in
the San Francisco Bay Area.
I own two wooden motor yachts. I recently called a Yacht Broker just
to see if she was interested in selling
my boats and earning a commission. She talked to me like I was a red
headed step child. First thing was she
had a reputation of only selling the finest boats. (biggest
commissions) and wooden boats were beneath her.
Second, even though her office is about 500 feet from the boats, she
was much to busy and important to even
take a look.
I am afraid that you are going to run into this wherever you go. Since
you are dealing with a basically unregulated
industry, you will find that most brokers are very much like Realtors.
You need them because they have the MLS, or
with boats, a network to advertise that you cannot match. Also, wooden
boats really don't bring the high dollars that
plastic boats do. And since they take much more knowledge to market,
most brokers really are not interested.

My advice to you is to get the boat really clean, and market it
yourself. Take lots of pictures, and always have posters
and any free advertising going. Put a professional looking for sale
sign on it. Instead of making the changes, that cost $$,
listen to what the buyer wants, and then ask him if you do the work
that he wants professionally, would he sign a deal
that is contigent on that work being done.
Clean is the number one thing. From bilge to mast. Don't fix stuff
that the prospective buyer may not give a rip about.
Why put thousands into rigging when the buyer may just want to sit on
the boat and have cocktails and watch the sun go down.
The buyer may be more interested in having the cushions redone.
But the number one thing is scrub it up and make it pretty. So scrub
it up and then ask a few brokers to have a look.
Most of the brokers don't clean, have it cleaned, or even put a penny
into it's presentation.
Also have the current survey on the boat. And take everything off you
don't want to loose. Have a list of what goes with it,
but unless you want to loose your stuff, take it off the boat.
Most brokers offices are full of charts etc. taken from the boats that
they are selling. I am not saying they are dishonest.
They have lots of salespeople walking on and off your boat, who only
have one goal in mind. Commission.
posted to rec.boats.building

Tom,

Every time fuel costs go crazy, sailboats come back in style.

I do not know what upgrades you had in mind, but since wooden boats are
a specialty market, I rather doubt that they would bring back the cost
at sale.

If you do not have wooden boat all over the house, barrow one and read
the classified in the back.

Fair Wind and Smooth Seas

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Tom Dacon wrote:
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to
be preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have
some questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing.
I'm wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the
cost of the upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat
more attractive for sale or getting me a better price.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Sailboats selling okay here (PNW), especially pilot houses.
Gordon
posted to rec.boats.building

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
Matt Colie wrote:
Tom,

Sailboats selling okay here (PNW), especially pilot houses.
Gordon

Gordon, if it had a pilot house I'd probably just keep it :-)

I'm up in the PNW myself (Port Townsend)

Tom

"Capt John" wrote in message

[...]

I forgot to mention a great place to look for boats,
"www.yachtworld.com". Their all brokers, but it lets you look at many
boats without ever getting on a plane or in a car. Keep an eye on the
ones that interest you, the longer they've been up for sale, the
better for you.
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks for you comments, folks.

Tom

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
news:2tadnURiP4X1D4HVnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@isomediainc. ..
Are there any yacht brokers that hang out in this group? I'm going to be
preparing a 41' wooden sloop for sale one of these days, and I have some
questions about certain upgrades that I'm thinking about doing. I'm
wondering if I can get some informed opinions about whether the cost of
the upgrades would pay off, either in terms of making the boat more
attractive for sale or getting me a better price.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon

Need a way to hang lines sherwindu General 3 September 4th 07 01:13 AM
Seattle-area brokers Wannacat General 2 October 12th 04 05:11 PM
Boat Brokers Florida Keyz Cruising 10 February 19th 04 07:50 PM
FS: International Yacht Brokers Cape - new listings posted daily in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 09:09 AM