Default I decided

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..
snipping

Zzzzzz... this thread is dead Jim... LOL

The string is dead? Well, some of us have interests and responsibilities
beyond participating in such a discussion. Also, I spent the afternoon
this Saturday sailing my boat, something I don't seem often to see with
respect to you and your buddies posting in this string. - It's strange,
but you and most of your anti-Mac buddies seem to get their jollies from
bashing us Mac sailors, whereas we Mac sailors get pleasure from sailing
our Macs.

But I'll get back to you, and also to your Mac-bashing buddies. That's a
promise.

Jim

Really? Gee, I was sailing before the Strictly Sail show today... on an
actual sailboat that doesn't capsize when you make a hard turn. No pleasure
there... nope, none at all!

Hope you continue to enjoy your boat, Capt. As I do sailing my Mac.
Also, I hope my commitement to get back to you has been adequately met.

Jim

"JimC" wrote in message

I think your problem is that you are judging the rigging and hardware of
the Mac on the basis of what's required with a much heavier boat. The
requirements simply aren't the same for a small, 4,000 lb. boat. See also
my note above concerning forming a bridle for accommodating the sea
anchor.

Jim

No. He's judging it on the basis of what's a decent rig.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message

Or is sarcasm simply the best way to put down us Mac supporters ..?

Jim

Just an easy way when a MacMoonie gets huffy. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Marty" wrote in message

Give it a rest Jim, when you can provide evidence of Mac26s completing
ocean voyages in heavy weather we'll believe you.

Hmmm ...... still looking I see,,,,

Get back to us on that one.

Cheers
marty

We need 10 to 15 examples please....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message
What do I see? Among other things, I see the following:

Step 1) Open eyes.

1) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the immediate
area. - The Mac26M can be quickly and easily transported by the owner
(with a pickup or SUV) in one weekend to waters hundreds of miles from
it's berth or storage area, thereby making available hundreds of sailing
areas that wouldn't be conveniently available with a larger, keeled
vessel. (Without having it hauled out of the water and hiring a truck to
transport the boat to a distant sailing area.) - Practically speaking,
most large, conventional keeled boats are limited to sailing within a day
or so of their marinas unless the owners are retired or want to spend
several weeks of vacation. (Of course, you can always point to
exceptions, but they ARE the exceptions, not the usual practice for most
owners, most of the time.)

Are you claiming that my boat can't be sailing in areas other than where
she's berthed???

I prefer to actually sail to places not put my boat on truck.

2) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina. Thus, the storage
fees are substantially less than most marina fees, and ongoing lease and
maintenance fees can be substantially reduced. Or, if desired, I can (and
do) choose to keep it in a Marina, at a relatively modest fee because of
its size and limited draft.

Ongoing lease? Wow...stunning news. A 26' boat is less expensive to berth
than a 30.

3) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters, including
offshore, with the understanding that it isn't recommended for extended
ocean crossings and isn't as comfortable in heavy weather. The boat has
plenty of ballast and plenty of righting forces. Also, it's suitable for
sailing and/or motoring in shallow or restricted waters that aren't
available to large, fixed keel vessels.

It might be a coastal cruiser a couple of months a year, but I assure you
it's not a coastal cruiser out here 95% of the time, unless you count
foundering on rocks as coastal cruising.

4} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation that will keep the boat afloat even if the hull is
compromised. The boat is also designed to accommodate a large outboard
which gives the skipper more options in the event of heavy weather, e.g.,
for returning to port quickly.

I bet you have PFDs too! Yeah, a large outboard to get you out of trouble
when either the skipper fails or the boat is about to fail.

5) A boat that, despite its relatively modest size, has substantial cabin
space and berths for five people, including a queen-size aft berth.

Stuff em in... I bet you can.

6) A boat that is small and light enough to permit easy handling and
docking by one person.

Compared to what? My Sabre is 30' and 8000 lbs. I have no problem sailing
and docking in fairly rigorous conditions. I've seen Mac sailors trying to
dock, and they did so quite nicely... coming in like freight and jamming it
in reverse at the last second. I've also seen them "sailing" on the bay in
20+ kts... sails a flappin, boat heeled, people looking very scared, and
finally, the skipper gets the engine going just to get it under control.

7) A boat that is priced substantially lower than conventional larger
boats (comparing new prices with new prices and used prices with used
prices, of course). This permits getting a fully equipped vessel (with
accessories such as autopilot, chart reader, roller reefing, 50-hp motor,
lines led aft, radio, stereo, etc., etc.), still within an affordable
total cost.

Well, you got me there... cheap compared to used boats of higher quality.

8) A boat that can be sailed or motored with or without the ballast, and
that can be trailord without the ballast, making it a substantially
lighter load when trailoring.

Get a bigger fricken car.

9) A boat that can have a 5.5 feet draft for sailing (with dagger-board
down) but that can be converted to one with only 1.5-ft draft in shallow
waters or waters with variable depth, or for anchoring in shallow waters,
or for bringing it up a ramp for trailoring, or for simply bringing the
boat ashore on a beach for a picnic or the like. Or, the dagger board can
be only partially retracted for increased speed on a reach or a run, or
completely retracted for motoring on a plane.

You sure think trailering is the end all and be all of sailing. Got news for
you...

10) A sailboat that, unlike 90 percent of the boats discussed on this ng,
isn't limited to hull speed. With the (typical) 50-hp to 60-hp outboard,
the Mac 26M can be motored on a plane at two or three times hull speed.
bs removed This capability is also a safety factor, as mentioned
above, in the event the skipper wants to bring the boat in quickly to
avoid heavy weather, or move down the coast to avoid a squall, etc.

Yeah, and you're responsible for your wake. Whoooo... heavy weather. Scary!
When they announce a small craft advisory (just about every day in the
Summer), we head out not in.

11) A boat that has clean lines and a modern, streamlined design. -
Admittedly, this is a matter of taste.

Admittedly, bad taste in my opinion.

12) Finally, I see a boat that is FUN TO SAIL! On my Mac 26M, when I get
to the sailing area, raise the sails, turn off the motor, and sense the
boat moving under sail, it's an amazing, almost magical experience. In

Say it isn't so! You turn off the engine?? That's mightly brave of you!

bs removed - - - Does that answer your question Ganz? - Or do you
want a few more?

Sure does!!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message
t...

Again, despite the thousands of Mac 26's out there sailed in US and
foreign waters, we have NO reports of Mac 26M's breaking up and sinking in
ANY conditions. NONE!

Have a nice day Salty.

Jim

Please prove this. I see no evidence of this in your post.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message

Give it a rest Jim, when you can provide evidence of Mac26s completing
ocean voyages in heavy weather we'll believe you.

Hmmm ...... still looking I see,,,,

Get back to us on that one.

Cheers
marty

We need 10 to 15 examples please....

Jon, this got me to thinking, I haven't heard of single person coming to
grief crossing the North Atlantic in January on a SeaDoo, therefore
SeaDoos are the ideal vehicle for this purpose!

Cheers
Marty

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries.

The Big Mac is the most popular burger ever. Doesn't mean I'd try and
order one in an expensive restaurant.

On the other hand, if people were routinely dying the day after eating a
Big Mac, we WOULD have heard about it, woudln't we? Same principle with a
boat that is being sailed by thousands of owners around the world.

Jim

Yeah, they just get really, really sick, and it takes about 20 years to die
from eating them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message
I really doubt than any even half-way rational skipper would
consider taking a Mac offshore under such conditions (with the boat
overloaded, with several adults standing on the deck, with the skipper and
half the guests drunk, and with the ballast tank empty). It's an anomaly
that doesn't really relate to the present discussion.

Such conditions? Calm waters?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"Marty" wrote in message

JimC wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..
snipping

Zzzzzz... this thread is dead Jim... LOL

The string is dead? Well, some of us have interests and
responsibilities beyond participating in such a discussion. Also, I
spent the afternoon this Saturday sailing my boat, something I don't
seem often to see with respect to you and your buddies posting in this
string. - It's strange, but you and most of your anti-Mac buddies seem
to get their jollies from bashing us Mac sailors, whereas we Mac sailors
get pleasure from sailing our Macs.

But I'll get back to you, and also to your Mac-bashing buddies. That's a
promise.

Getting a bit paranoid there Jim. Nobody was bashing Macs, just bashing
the idea that they were sufficiently seaworthy as to be taken off shore
and brave open ocean storms. Now go take a pill and relax, Macs have
their place, as do canoes and paddle boats.

Cheers
Marty

Jim

That's right Marty... in fact, as the chief Mac-basher (apparently) I
said near those exact words, but Jim doesn't want to hear...

Ganz, I think what you said was:

Assuming the boat can't sink (which I seriously doubt - given the pounding
it would endure, it would likely break up), it would be dismasted for
sure. Then, (not that sailing would have ever been an option), your only
chance for survival would be below decks, while the boat rolled over and
over and over, perhaps even pitchpolling from time to time. It would be
like being in a washing machine with heavy and sharp objects. You'd find
yourself in a non-habitable environment of flying hazards including
yourself that would break your bones into mush. In desperation to escape,
you would vacate the premises, and then either be thrown off the boat by
the wave action or you would remove yourself from the boat deliberately.
Either way, you wouldn't
survive.

Of course, you had no evidence whatsoever to back up those ridiculous
assertions. Incidentally, I never thought of my Mac as a washing machine,
but maybe I should look into it.

Jim

Take it offshore and encounter some weather. Then, report back to us.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have decided to become.......... Thurston Howell III[_2_] General 1 December 19th 07 01:49 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg Cruising 17 August 11th 03 02:07 PM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Jim General 0 July 24th 03 04:52 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg General 1 July 15th 03 12:32 AM