Default I decided

On Apr 13, 8:39*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:01:00 -0600, JimC
wrote:

You also say that the Macs will simply "break up" in heavy seas. *Again,
where is your evidence, other than anecdotes and hearsay, supporting this
assertion?

His assertion is based on common sense, and the fact that the boat is
not designed or built for off-shore conditions. *Where is your
evidence that the boat will not break up in heavy seas?

I haven't heard of any ongoing problem with Macs breaking apart and
sinking in heavy seas. - Have you?

Fortunately, most people, even those who buy Macs, don't take them out
there. But, feel free and send us a report!

It's not impossible, plenty of other boats have met that fate. *Pick one
up 30
feet into the air and drop it to the water a few times. *That will
give you a good idea where the weak spots are.

I suppose that if someone had some evidence that Macs subjected to heavy
seas and/or severe stress have been breaking apart and sinking I might
reconsider my opinion. Meanwhile, it seems that neither you or the Capt.
have any evidence to back up your assertions. I do agree that "it's not
impossible." - I'm just not sure how I'm going to pick it up 30 feet in
the air and drop it into the water several times.

That's quite a consession. Would you concede that if we drop it off a
10-story apartment building it might "break up"?

Careful how you answer....

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Maybe all get some heavy weather knowledge.

Seen a Sadler 26 in real bad weather of African coast take on water.
Did not lose mast, did not roll and came home safe.

"sailor164" wrote in message

+
+Seen a Sadler 26 in real bad weather of African coast take on water.
+Did not lose mast, did not roll and came home safe.

A Sadler does not a Mac make.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:41:41 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:
/snip/
There are conflicting factors (as usual): the pro-stability factor is
the considerable mass far from the roll center (called moment of
inertia) /snip/

Certainly the weight of the rig slows the roll speed by some figure
but whether it has an effect on the boat rolling over I seriously
doubt.

/snip/
Bruce-in-Bangkok

This is not the first time that you have not quite understood an
engineering input, but felt comfortable about doubting it.
The concept is "second moment of inertia" Bruce, not mass.

Easy to look up though.....

Brian W

On Apr 16, 4:10 pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:
The concept is "second moment of inertia" Bruce, not mass.

Hmmm. I think mass moment of inertia is what you're after (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia). Second moment of inertia is
form stiffness (eg. the "I"'s in a mast section description).

-- Tom.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:14:49 -0700, Gordon wrote:

And they require two berths in the marina.
Gordon

No, there is no question but what Catamarans are safe, congenial and
in tune with nature. The only way the thinking man will sail.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

One of their major advantages. After all, one doesn't want to be
jammed in with the trailer trash does one?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:35:58 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:07:00 -0700, "Capt. JG"

On 2008-04-15 08:20:21 -0400, Brian Whatcott
said:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:55:37 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Are you stating specifically that a sailing boat that loses its mast
is in more danger of capsizing then when the rig was in place?? I
would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this as it was always my
understanding that once the rig was either cut away or retrieved and
lashed on deck the boat rode no worse then it had with the rig in
place.

It was always my thought that once the rig was gone that stability of
the ballasted hull would become slightly better with no weight above
the deck line.

I emphasize that I have no interest in this discussion other then this
single point which is probably of interest to most cruising sailors.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

There are conflicting factors (as usual): the pro-stability factor is
the considerable mass far from the roll center (called moment of
iniertia) which slows the rate of roll in adverse seas.
The con-stab factor is the increased windage and weight above the
water line.

Brian W

As I read this thread, the mast *might* slow wave-induced roll enough to
prevent a roll-over. Anyone who's taken their boat out without a mast up
can attest that the boat is a lot less "stable".

But such waves don't come without wind trying to roll the boat all on
its
own.

I can only believe that having the mast and remains of sails "up" once
the
boat is inverted would be a distinct disadvantage to coming back up in a
timely manner. Dinghy sailors know how much drag a little bit of cloth
can
create.

--
Jere Lull

Likely true. For catamarans, if inverted, they're more stable upside down.
Of course, this comment might open up a religious war about which one is
better offshore. :-)

Being a bit bored this afternoon - the glue is hardening. My car is
broke and I don't have anything pending for an hour or I'd like to
forward the proposition that Catamarans are the safest type of vessel
to sail. Think about it for a moment.

1. They are stable in either the upright or inverted position

2. Modern Cats have a hatch in the bottom of the hull so it doesn't
make any difference which side up you are you can get in and out.

3. If inverted the strongest part of the boat - the hull - is the
portion exposed to the waves.

4. The rig is pretty simple with only one shroud a side and a head
stay.

5. Cats don't rock so bad so you don't need a gimbel stove, and your
significant other seldom barfs in the mashed potatoes.

6. Cats have big windows so you don't need so many lights.

7. Cats have two separate bedrooms so when you really have a bruhaha
with She Who Must be Obeyed you can go off to the other hull to lick
your wounds.

8. Cats usually have a BIG cockpit which allows you to sit out in the
summer's breezes in the evening and enjoy a cool beverage. It also
allows you to feed the mosquitoes but what the Ha, mosquitoes got to
live too. Living in tune with nature. That's the ticket. Participating
in the Malaria Fever Research Project if also a worthy undertaking.

No, there is no question but what Catamarans are safe, congenial and
in tune with nature. The only way the thinking man will sail.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Hard for me to disagree... probably the only major negatives are stowage and
cost, the former of which you have to watch or it'll get out of control and
really slow down the boat. Crew fatigue is a *big* factor for long-distance.
I saw a cat that had screens up around the cockpit, so screw the mosquitos.

When we charter in various locations, we always rent a catamaran... makes
for a much pleasant vacation.

Disclaimer: I own a mono. :-)

Well, one simply advises the Captain that the crew will be limited to
a single "tee" shirt and pair of shorts. Keeps the weight down and
also restricts the use of fresh water, don;t you know?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:38:58 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
And they require two berths in the marina.
Gordon

No, there is no question but what Catamarans are safe, congenial and
in tune with nature. The only way the thinking man will sail.
Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Ah... yes, the other negative. This relates to expense.

As I previously posted, one of the great advantages. Keeps the
riff-raff out.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

wrote:
/snip/
There are conflicting factors (as usual): the pro-stability factor is
the considerable mass far from the roll center (called moment of
inertia) /snip/

Certainly the weight of the rig slows the roll speed by some figure
but whether it has an effect on the boat rolling over I seriously
doubt.

/snip/
Bruce-in-Bangkok

This is not the first time that you have not quite understood an
engineering input, but felt comfortable about doubting it.
The concept is "second moment of inertia" Bruce, not mass.

Easy to look up though.....

Brian W

Well, I do understand "moment of inertia" but I do not understand how
a rig that when you put it in the water has a negligible effect on
stability, i.e., the boat rights itself, is going to have a major
effect on a boat rolling over.

Now, for argument's sake we are talking about my boat. the mast can be
picked up by four Asians so lets say, for argument's sake it weighs
500 lbs. It is desk stepped and is forty feet long with the spreaders
about half way up the mast.

I can carry one set of shrouds with no problems so say 100 lbs X 2
sets = shrouds = 200 lbs. Four terminate at the spreaders and two at
the mast head. The fore and aft stays probably weigh a little less
then the stays so say 75 lbs together, both terminating at the mast
head.

The boat displaces 12,000 lbs. It was built in 1971, sailed across the
Pacific Ocean, among other places and hasn't rolled over to date.

It would be a kindness for you to explain it to me the real life
dynamics that will cause my rig to make my boat to roll over.

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacenter

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

Actually, Neal, that would have been a good choice. To cite just one
factor, if Joe had been sailing a Mac26M, with its positive floatation,
the boat would have survived and wouldn't have been dragged to the bottom
by its keel. And of course, if you had a Mac (instead of your
no-boat-at-all), you could spend more time sailing and less time posting
childish, vacuous notes on this ng. But of course, you didn't make a
decision to get a Mac or a decision to get anything else for that matter,
so we can look forward to more of your never-ending sophistry.

Jim

Neal is an idiot, but besides that, if you were on your Mac in the
conditions Joe described, you would surely be a greater idiot than Neal
(even he isn't suicidal).

Assuming the boat can't sink (which I seriously doubt - given the pounding
it would endure, it would likely break up),

--- Any evidence or proof to back up that statement Capt? No?

it would be dismasted for sure.

Any evidence or proof to support that assertion Capt?.... No?

Then, (not that sailing would have ever been an option), your only chance
for survival would be below decks, while the boat rolled over and over and
over, perhaps even pitchpolling from time to time.

Any evidence or proof to back up that particular assertion Capt? ....No?

It would be like being in
a washing machine with heavy and sharp objects. You'd find yourself in a
non-habitable environment of flying hazards including yourself that would
break your bones into mush.

LOL.

In desperation to escape, you would vacate the
premises, and then either be thrown off the boat by the wave action or you
would remove yourself from the boat deliberately.

That's fascinating piece of fiction Capt. - Have you considered writing
a novel?

Either way, you wouldn't
survive.

Great fiction Capt. Too bad you have no evidence or proof whatsoever to
support it.

Jim

I have decided to become.......... Thurston Howell III[_2_] General 1 December 19th 07 01:49 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg Cruising 17 August 11th 03 02:07 PM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Jim General 0 July 24th 03 04:52 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg General 1 July 15th 03 12:32 AM