Ferg

Default Decided on Dry Tortugas

"Capt. Matt" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,
The wife & I are looking at a week of sailing (bareboat charter, ours is

too
small for a comfy trip) and a visit to the Dry Tortugas Nat. Park. This

will
be our first trip, and I'm looking for any suggestions.

Hi Matt.

It's been about 12 years since I've visited the Dry Tortugas. I assume that
the biggest change lately is the amount of visitors there. I'm sure much
has been said and written about the history of Garden Key. I thought I
might help with some tidbits on Loggerhead Key, 2.5 nmiles to the west.

Last time I was there was with my father, who was a Biology Professor for
Eckerd College in St.Petersburg. He took a class of students down there
every fall semester. Of great interest to him was an old marine reseach
station that was located on the north end of the island. We hiked through
the brush and saw several old test-tubes and other gear, and one dilapitated
old shack eroding into the western shore. In recent years, all the
non-native foliage has been stripped. That should make the foundations
easier to find, but the artifacts more scarce.

The marine station was run by an Alfred Goldsboro Mayor, and there is a
plaque there in his honor. I can't remember what his field of study was, I
think marine invertibrates and general observations of the local ecosystem.
I might be able to get back to you with more if you're interested.

The more obvious attraction is the huge lighthouse, which is about 160 years
old. As a young child back in the 1970's, the Coast Guard fellas that were
stationed there let me climb to the top. My parents have some old slides of
that somewhere. Today, the park service watches the lighthouse. Maybe
they'll give a tour, but they are under no obligation to.

Before sailing back to the shelter of Garden Key, spend the hot afternoon
snorkling off the west side of the island. I remember a large reef just off
the shore there. You'll find more finger-type coral and active fish than
you will near Fort Jefferson.

have fun,

Ferg.

Bob Cook

Hmmm...that's easy...

I would suggest reading up on the FKNMS, (Florida Keys National Marine
Sanctuary) areas, designations, rules, regulations, enforcement provisions,
and penalties. For instance, the yardstick formula for assessing a penalty
for accidently running aground in the FKNMS and doing even minimal damage to
the sea grass or any reef is $100,000 per day, prorated per hour the vessel
is aground, plus damage assessment costs, plus bottom restoration costs,
plus court costs, plus any fines for negligent navigation...oh, plus the
cost of towing, salvage and any damage you might do to your boat... So you
may want to reconsider just how anxious you are to go sailing in the Florida
Keys.

Bob Cook

Visit us he www.Ocean-Pro.com
Atlantic & Pacific Weather Routing,
Offshore Sailing Instruction, Deliveries

RichH

How? Answer: "democrats"...... and their trial attorney surrogates!

Don W. wrote:
Wow!

That is just plain nuts, and far out of proportion with the damage
to the environment. Are we becoming a reactionary nation or what?
For a lot of less well-off boaters, that translates to:

"If you run hard aground we will take everything you own including
your house, car, and boat."

How did we get to this point?

Don W.

Bob Cook wrote:

[...]

NH_/\)_

Do they have a website? ... to prove these costs?

NH_/)_

--------
http://nortech-cs.com/sailusa/index4.htm
"Bob Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Rick & Linda Bernard

Isn't the answer simple. Get charts, know where you are, and stay with in
the marked channels and you will be ok. Or am I missing something.

Thousands of boaters have gone there with less knowledge and have not
damaged anything. I have never boated there but am aware of their respect
of the sea grass.

news

"Bob Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Jeff Morris

These fines were all for deliberate fishing:
http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/news/p...ase/fines.html

The fines for minor groundings are far more modest - but they could surprise someone:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/s...mage_costs.htm

news

"Bob Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Borgerson

In article , "NH_/\)
_" says...
Thanks Jeff will defiantly check it out

NH_/)_

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
These fines were all for deliberate fishing:
http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/news/p...ase/fines.html

The fines for minor groundings are far more modest - but they could

surprise someone:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/s...mage_costs.htm

news

"Bob Cook" wrote in message
[...]

For another take on the Dry Tortugas, pick up a copy of 'Flashback' by
Nevada Barr. It's an interesting mystery about a woman park ranger
stationed at Fort Jefferson.

Mark Borgerson