Default Red Cloud Abandoned!

wrote:
They reported that they were taking on water, and possibly were holed.
They also had an extra 10,000 pounds of weight aboard, which probably
didn't help either stability or freeboard.

Wayne.B wrote:
Was this his first coffee run?

Yes, brand-new business. Who knows how it would have worked out.

I'm glad to hear that they're safe but sick to hear that their
adventure ended this way.

Doug King

Joe Joe is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
Was this his first coffee run?

Yes, brand-new business. Who knows how it would have worked out.

I'm glad to hear that they're safe but sick to hear that their
adventure ended this way.

Doug King

Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and
15-20 ft seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down
(25ft). The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the
genny running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then
rigged a spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt
drift.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Wish me luck. and thanks for your concern.

BTW we will be on CBS morning show in the morning.

Best Regards,
Joe

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:56:52 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Next time wave for the camera!
http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_itemId=206301

Joe wrote:
Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee.

Hey, there ya go.
If we were on the Gulf, I'd offer to give you a ride.

... Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse.

I bet it was not the height of the wave, instead the height (and mass)
of the breakers riding atop the waves. It doesn't take a 35 footer to
build up a rolling, roiling crest. Another issue is that the data
bouys often mis-state wave height because the breaking part of the
crest goes by too fast to register.

The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night.

Yep, that's the way they do business. It's so that they won't have to
come back a second time for the others.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Wish me luck. and thanks for your concern.

Excellent, wish you all the best and that we soon hear of Red Cloud's
arrival in port!

BTW we will be on CBS morning show in the morning.

We don't watch TV but it'll be good publicity.

Good luck!
Doug King

In article , Joe wrote:
Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and
15-20 ft seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down
(25ft). The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the
genny running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then
rigged a spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt
drift.

I wish you every success in recovering your home and your business, and I hope your year improves from now on in!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On 2008-01-02 17:56:52 -0500, Joe said:

Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and cracked
one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and 15-20 ft
seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down (25ft).
The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain ankle, and
skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the genny
running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then rigged a
spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt drift.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Please do. Really hope you can retrieve her.

Do I properly assume you'll be modifying the wheelhouse a bit before
you do that trip again? ;-)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD