Default Red Cloud Abandoned!

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:24:18 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

Indeed, after calling for hours on 2182 with zero responce, I got
Rooney on 14.300.

Although 2182 is still an "official" distress frequency it is largely
ineffective for several reasons. Your chances of actually reaching
USCG are much higher on 4125 or 6215 .

Both of these simplex calling/distress frequencies are monitored 24/7
by USCG and they generally have much greater range than 2182.

THE way is a DSC Distress call according to GMDSS on

2'187.5 kHz (voice on 2'182.0 kHz)
4'207.5 kHz (voice on 4'125.0 kHz)
6'312.0 kHz (voice on 6'215.0 kHz)
8'414.5 kHz (voice on 8'291.0 kHz)
12'577.0 kHz (voice on 12'290.0 kHz)
16'804.5 kHz (voice on 16'420.0 kHz)

especially on 8'414.5 kHz.

Any of these will sound an alarm on any DSC receiver within range, and
store your identity (MMSI), time and position - if you had the time to
enter it the reason for distress as well - and you will get an
acknowledgment from any receiving coast station.
A call is sent out 5 times with all the details within 35 seconds, and
wll be repeated automatically every about 4 minutes until
acknowledgement arrives.

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 11, 12:32*am, " wrote:
All good points, Larry. *For what it is worth a few nationalities
still keep continuous radio watches on the official marine SSB voice
distress frequencies:

2182
4125
6215
8291
12290
16420

Tried everyone one the list above and even a few restricted military
freq. Keep in mind this was 03:00 to 07:30 New Years day. Can you
think of a worse time to get military personnel on the horn? ;0)

Then I called on 14.300 to the mariners net and found a familiar
voice of a guy named Rooney. A top notch fellow who had control of the
net at the time. He worked with another fellow who called the 8th
district in New Orleans (uGH). At the time I was just advising them of
our position and drift speed and direction and requesting that they
standby in case RedCloud started drifting towards any oil platforms
and we requested they provide us updated weather information. I also
requested a tow.

Was refused the tow, even after calling many commerical towing
outfits, they would not come out in the weather. The USCG had a 87
fter on the Sabine that could have been out in 8 hours. My brother an
X coasties said the "roter heads" wanted all the glory. I'd never say
anything like that having not served in the USCG and working on many
many rough weather rescues closely with the air group like my brother
did.

I know if I had an 87 fter like this a meer 8 hours away

http://www.uscg.mil/d8/cgcHeron/img/cgcHeron.jpg

and were in command, I could have taken RedCloud under tow in the
conditions we were in, it would have been a hell of a ride, but I
would have been chomping at the bit to go.

I'm grafeful for all the assistance the USCG gave, but IMO if they
wanted to, they could have worked with me and saved my home and
business. All my career I have been lucky enough to only assit the
USCG, and have always been egar to do so.

Well that's my rant..I have no one to blame but myself. I put my
vessel in a bad spot at a bad time and got what I had coming. If you
head offshore and you get any assitance at all....you need to feel
damn lucky for it.

Joe

With those you should at least be able to pick up Taupo Maritime Radio/
ZLM, New Zealand if you're in the South Pacific... *I don't really
know if anyone else is still listening. *There are equivalent DSC
frequencies for those so equipped. *Also, there's usually a HAM on
14.300 who knows how to deal with a priority call. *You don't need to
be a HAM if you've got priority traffic -- don't let the radio cops
scare you away!

-- Tom.

"Joe" wrote in message
snipped.
I know if I had an 87 fter like this a meer 8 hours away

http://www.uscg.mil/d8/cgcHeron/img/cgcHeron.jpg

and were in command, I could have taken RedCloud under tow in the
conditions we were in, it would have been a hell of a ride, but I
would have been chomping at the bit to go.

I'm grafeful for all the assistance the USCG gave, but IMO if they
wanted to, they could have worked with me and saved my home and
business. All my career I have been lucky enough to only assit the
USCG, and have always been egar to do so.

Well that's my rant..I have no one to blame but myself. I put my
vessel in a bad spot at a bad time and got what I had coming. If you
head offshore and you get any assitance at all....you need to feel
damn lucky for it.

Joe, that is really tough and I feel for you. But since your steering
quadrant was broken there is not much else you could have done in seas like
we saw on the video if you could not steer. It really is bad luck that the
broken link pierced your fine steel hull and presumably that is what let her
sink rather than any leakage into the coachhouse. Best wishes.

On Jan 11, 6:36 am, Joe wrote:
On Jan 11, 12:32 am, " wrote:
... Tried everyone one the list above and even a few restricted military
freq. Keep in mind this was 03:00 to 07:30 New Years day. Can you
think of a worse time to get military personnel on the horn? ;0) ...

No, I can't, and I'm sad for your loss and impressed that you're
taking it so philosophically. The GG seems to be very reluctant to
tow. I guess the good news is that the ham service showed up well.

-- Tom.
NH7SV