Bob Bob is offline

Default Red Cloud Abandoned!

On Jan 2, 1:47*pm, "Scotty" wrote:
"Paul Cassel" wrote in
message news:w4-dnVICY4lUY-

Joe is VERY experienced. So is Terry, his wife. They
are/were both licensed captains and used to work on various
sized boats/ships.

SBV

Hummm, obviously that doesnt mean much. HOw to be a licensed
captaiin......? Own a 15' rowboat for a few years.
Fill out a CG form that says I have 180 days sea service on my
rowboat. Take the test.. now I have a 25 grt Captain License.

Go to work on a OSV as a Ordinary Seaman (minumum wage) after 180 days
then upgrade your captains license to 50 or 100 grt and get your OS
upgraded to an Able Seaman Special OSV. wich means now you make $8.50/
hr and still cant work on any boat except on somthing that works in
the GOM oil patch. Why, cause there are seveal AB levels of which AB
Special OSV is the botom of the barrel.

But you can go around and brag that youre a USCG captain and merchant
seaman.......... ya, right at $8.50 hour..
Bob

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:56:52 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

On Jan 2, 12:38*pm, wrote:
wrote:
They reported that they were taking on water, and possibly were holed.
They also had an extra 10,000 pounds of weight aboard, which probably
didn't help either stability or freeboard.

Wayne.B wrote:
Was this his first coffee run?

Yes, brand-new business. Who knows how it would have worked out.

I'm glad to hear that they're safe but sick to hear that their
adventure ended this way.

Doug King

Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and
15-20 ft seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down
(25ft). The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the
genny running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then
rigged a spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt
drift.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Wish me luck. and thanks for your concern.

BTW we will be on CBS morning show in the morning.

Best Regards,
Joe

Next time wave for the camera!
http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_itemId=206301

Joe wrote:
Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee.

Hey, there ya go.
If we were on the Gulf, I'd offer to give you a ride.

... Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse.

I bet it was not the height of the wave, instead the height (and mass)
of the breakers riding atop the waves. It doesn't take a 35 footer to
build up a rolling, roiling crest. Another issue is that the data
bouys often mis-state wave height because the breaking part of the
crest goes by too fast to register.

The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night.

Yep, that's the way they do business. It's so that they won't have to
come back a second time for the others.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Wish me luck. and thanks for your concern.

Excellent, wish you all the best and that we soon hear of Red Cloud's
arrival in port!

BTW we will be on CBS morning show in the morning.

We don't watch TV but it'll be good publicity.

Good luck!
Doug King

In article , Joe wrote:
Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and
15-20 ft seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down
(25ft). The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the
genny running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then
rigged a spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt
drift.

I wish you every success in recovering your home and your business, and I hope your year improves from now on in!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:37:23 -0500, BAR wrote:

Bearing Sea

Bering Sea. Named for a Russian explorer. The Russians were early in
the area. Recall that we bought Alaska from them..There is a brand of
pretty good cigars named for him, his picture is on the box. I don't
usually do spelling corrections, as usually the meaning is obvious.
Proper names are an exception.

Casady

wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:20:39 -0800, "Lee" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:15:32 -0500, wrote:

This story should be renamed: "Oil platform saves the lives of wacko
environmentalists"

I'm ROTFLMFAO with the irony of this story.

Irony notwithstanding, that's a bit harsh don't you think? We are
talking about a long standing member of the community here who has
just lost his pride and joy.

Salty has been riding Joe's case for years. He's even operated under the
name of "Rusty Redcloud" just to stir Joe's ire. Joe got the best of him
in
the end, putting an end to Salty's long and infamous career as an internet
haranger. Salty has just wet his pants with glee over Joe's misfortune.
He's
trying to hide it, but every time he rises to jump up and down people
notice
the big wet spot running down his legs.

How many more names are you going to post under today?

What are you talking about?

Will any of them have a
clue?

Will you?

I didn't even post the comment Wayne is whining about.

Yes you did and see Wayne's follow up. You did not put what it in quotations
or do any attribution. That combined with your demeaning legacy toward Joe
would lead anyone to conclude you wrote it and if you didn't you found great
amusement in the comments.

Did you send Joe a check yet, as you imlied you would do, or was that just
more
empty grandstanding?

What are you talking about? Are you nuts?

Pretending that you don't know wher to send it is pretty
lame.

You are lame. You are many years of lameness. You have posted people
addresses, phone numbers, pictures of their wives and information about
where they work despite numerous requests to stop. You constantly referred
to Joe as an idiot and went out of your way to be extra rotten to him. Joe
sure put an end to that didn't he? Now you pretend to actually care for the
guy. Now that's lame!

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:18:09 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:45:44 -0500, wrote:

Irony notwithstanding, that's a bit harsh don't you think? We are
talking about a long standing member of the community here who has
just lost his pride and joy.

Please watch you attributions Wayne. I didn't post that statement. I posted the
readers comment from the newspaper because I could just imagine Joe's reaction
to someone labeling him an "eco-hippy".

Sorry, not the way I read it.

Picture of "RedCloud" and owners he

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5405650.html

Joe is the farthest from eco-hippy as you can get. He loves his boat,
and decided to put it to use in venture capitalism fashion.
I sure hope he retrieves it and carries on. Besides being saddened
for Joe, I'm selfishly ****ed his story has been interrupted, because
I was rooting for him. He's got true grit.
Good luck to you Joe!

--Vic