Default Red Cloud Abandoned!

I took that as Salty copy/pasting anothers comments, NOT
his.

I could be wrong, it's happened before.

SBV

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:15:32 -0500, wrote:

This story should be renamed: "Oil platform saves the

lives of wacko
environmentalists"

I'm ROTFLMFAO with the irony of this story.

Irony notwithstanding, that's a bit harsh don't you think?

We are
talking about a long standing member of the community here

who has
just lost his pride and joy.

"Paul Cassel" wrote in
message news:w4-dnVICY4lUY-

Sounds like they were inexperienced. Sad tale. Although I

was unaware of
these guys, I wish that they could have succeeded.

Joe is VERY experienced. So is Terry, his wife. They
are/were both licensed captains and used to work on various
sized boats/ships.

SBV

Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 2, 12:38*pm, wrote:
wrote:
They reported that they were taking on water, and possibly were holed.
They also had an extra 10,000 pounds of weight aboard, which probably
didn't help either stability or freeboard.

Wayne.B wrote:
Was this his first coffee run?

Yes, brand-new business. Who knows how it would have worked out.

I'm glad to hear that they're safe but sick to hear that their
adventure ended this way.

Doug King

Who said it's over Doug?, as soon as I have water to float a friends
trawler were off to beat the salvors and get my boat and coffee. Roger
is right, we had 35 fters that took out a wheelhouse window and
cracked one side of the wheelhouse. Noaa was off by 30kts of wind and
15-20 ft seas. The vid the USCG took were mid day as things laid down
(25ft). The USCG refused to only evac terry she was injured , sprain
ankle, and skipper and they said worse weather that night. I left the
genny running and deployed a drouge first, went to an anchor then
rigged a spare main sail as a para that finally held us to a 6kt
drift.

I'll update you all as soon as I get my boat back.

Wish me luck. and thanks for your concern.

BTW we will be on CBS morning show in the morning.

Best Regards,
Joe
Bob Bob is offline

On Jan 2, 6:09*am, jeff wrote:
Joe didn't post here often, but for those that know him from ASA:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stori...grescue.c061dc....

A sad day - at least they are all safe.

Looks like a reasonable day to me. Conditions what those in the PNW
would call "lumpy.... snotty" but certainly not a threat to life nor
vessel.

Guess all that "Im the best damn sailor in the GOM" serves as another
example of just how most people on yachts lack even the most
fundamental skills to operate their boats.

42' steel boat??? DId you see teh size of thoes picture windows on the
center cockpit condo?? NOt exactly what Id call a proper cargo boat.

My 2 cents is the thing was loaded to the gills with coffee (5 tons??)
wallowed, and that HUGE center condo got slapped a good one. Hell, the
tv footage shows sombody standing just aft of the condo port side.

This event goes logged right next to Skip n Lydias dream chase.
Bob

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Freeboard however, could have been a problem. The reports indicate
that it was the cabin and upperworks that were failing and having them
closer to the waterline might have made a difference in the boarding
of a big sea. Still, 10,000 pounds of beans should only have sunk her
about half a foot and they took some other stuff off to compensate so
the weight probably wasn't a factor in this accident.

--
Roger Long

It would be hard to put that much bulk below the waterline, so we may
assume it would be, mostly, above, making an interesting balance equation,
given her already heavy steel construction above the waterline never
designed for heavy freight hauling in the first place.

Wonder what her keel draft and counterbalance weight was....??

Larry
--
Next time some broker tells you what a great investment he's selling,
ask him about Rhodium, a shiny metal used in Catalytic Converters.

Joe is posting to alt.sailing.asa....

He will be on CBS This Morning tomorrow morning to tell his tale.

They are floating a trawler to go retrieve Red Cloud before the salvage
crews get to her, Joe said, and will retrieve both boat and coffee asap.

CG refused to take just the injured wife off and ordered all hands abandon
ship to the helo.

How you keep seawater out of coffee remains a mystery.....??

Add alt.sailing.asa to your newsgroup pile....