Default Buying a boat in a foreign land?

I see some sailing vessels offered at seemingly remarkable bargains
but they are in Mexico. So how do you go about
buying/registering/documenting boats like this? My money is in us
banks at present. Thank you for your time.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:40:37 -0800, ray lunder
wrote:

I see some sailing vessels offered at seemingly remarkable bargains
but they are in Mexico. So how do you go about
buying/registering/documenting boats like this? My money is in us
banks at present. Thank you for your time.

Basically like you would buy one in the U.S. except that you need to
be sure that the seller has a notarized bill of sale, to prove
ownership, and s you a notarized bill of sale, notarized by either the
Embassy or a legal commissioner of oaths. Be sure that the previous
owner gives you a certificate of de registration as most countries
require that for re-registration.

Actually, I believe you will find yacht brokers almost any place that
you will find yachts so it should be no problem.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)
Ed Ed is offline

Also make sure the vessel can be brought into the US (No major changes
in power or plumbing.... could be a 10K fine or more) Also if they are
NOT US documented, make sure you understand the $ and time of
documenting such a vessel. BTW... you will still pay your local sales
and USE tax before registering the vessel in your state unless you plan
to play games and move the vessel in and out according to your state's
laws.

For a powerboat, figure the fuel and wear costs to get it to your
destination. I live in SE FL, to get my SF from Mex to here (1600 NM
along the coast)would cost 10K in fuel + approx 10K in wear and tear.

you can still get bargains but just do the math.

wrote:

I see some sailing vessels offered at seemingly remarkable bargains
but they are in Mexico. So how do you go about
buying/registering/documenting boats like this? My money is in us
banks at present. Thank you for your time.

Basically like you would buy one in the U.S. except that you need to
be sure that the seller has a notarized bill of sale, to prove
ownership, and s you a notarized bill of sale, notarized by either the
Embassy or a legal commissioner of oaths. Be sure that the previous
owner gives you a certificate of de registration as most countries
require that for re-registration.

Actually, I believe you will find yacht brokers almost any place that
you will find yachts so it should be no problem.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

I saw this done last year :: well, at least I was told it was done and the
person who told me owned/ran the boatyard.

You buy the boat ,, get her back to the USA.

Do much work, etc.

Register her as a home built sailboat.

I'm not sure of what the specs are and I'm sure the hull needs a number etc
but

The boatyard guy sail a fellow had this old boat that was basically ruined.
He brought it back,
and said it was homebuilt. Launched as a new boat.

===

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:19:18 -0500, Ed wrote:

I live in SE FL, to get my SF from Mex to here (1600 NM
along the coast)would cost 10K in fuel + approx 10K in wear and tear.

Yes but straight line from Miami to Cozumel/Cancun is only about 470
NM.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Yes but straight line from Miami to Cozumel/Cancun is only about 470
NM.

What? Take a sailboat to SEA?

What a crazy idea that is!

Larry
--
I worked hard under Social Security since I was 12.
My SS retirement check is one oz of gold per month.

wrote:

I see some sailing vessels offered at seemingly remarkable bargains
but they are in Mexico. So how do you go about
buying/registering/documenting boats like this? My money is in us
banks at present. Thank you for your time.

My son spotted a cruiser at an off-shore island of Cancun.
The fellow who had sailed it there, died.
His widow wanted to sell it off, but couldn't sell it there
(apparently) so wanted it brought back and sold.

My son in Texas was all fired up to pay the bargain price, but an
ex-pat on the spot liked what he saw and bought it as a US transfer.

Shucks!

Brian W
Ed Ed is offline

Yeah at 6 knots I could make it.... at 22 Kts I can only make 280 NM.
Probably still faster and cheaper to go 6 knots and fish all the
way....Less wear and tear... but then again, a sailboat might pass me
and I would have to turn in my gold chains and tank tops!!! :-)

Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:19:18 -0500, Ed wrote:

I live in SE FL, to get my SF from Mex to here (1600 NM
along the coast)would cost 10K in fuel + approx 10K in wear and tear.

Yes but straight line from Miami to Cozumel/Cancun is only about 470
NM.

The boatyard guy sail a fellow had this old boat that was basically
ruined. He brought it back,
and said it was homebuilt. Launched as a new boat.

Well, if you're prepared to lie and forge paperwork then all sorts of things
are possible. Just don't expect leniency when caught.

buying a foreign boat JohnM Cruising 19 October 17th 07 04:13 AM
buying a foreign boat JohnM ASA 0 October 9th 07 07:59 AM
Flagging a boat in a foreign country jaybird Cruising 39 August 24th 06 02:27 AM
How to drag a boat off land ? rcoleman General 33 June 2nd 05 03:12 AM
FS: Windtek Land Yacht 3 wheel land sailer - Sail anywhere! Bobsprit ASA 0 September 21st 03 02:14 PM