rcoleman

Default How to drag a boat off land ?

Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry, maybe
15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over the
marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide, it's going
to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to secure a winch,
and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

Old Boat Goat

I'd jack it up enough to get some logs, rollers, even some planks, the
wetter and slimier the better, under her, . With some long, strong 2 X 4s
you should be able to lever and skid her into the water. Use some plywood
between the lever and the boat to spread the load if you're concerned about
crushing anything.

Don
an old boat goat

"rcoleman" wrote in message
. ..
Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry, maybe
15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over the
marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide, it's
going to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to secure a
winch, and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to drag it
off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

rcoleman

God knows who has time to post asinine replies to every post under this
name; but please masturbate elsewhere in private. I'm embarrassed for you.

"Harry.Krause" wrote in message
rcoleman wrote:
Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry,
maybe 15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over
the marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide,
it's going to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to
secure a winch, and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to
drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

Forklift it onto a flatbed trailer and drive it to where you want it.

--
Query: Did Bush ever win at Nintendo?

Bowgus

I have this situation in a movie seen before ... the Force rcoleman, use the
Force :-)

Or maybe since it's marshy, dig a ditch from the boat to that creek and
float it over ... not quite levitation but hey, close enough :-).

"rcoleman" wrote in message
. ..
Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry, maybe
15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over the
marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide, it's

going
to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to secure a winch,
and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

rcoleman

Not a bad idea, but this thing is in a spot that won't permit much jacking
I'm afraid. Too soft. "Lift" isn't going to be a word that will fit into
this plan. The roller concept could be part of the answer. I'm most
concerned with how much power will be needed to drag the hull over the land
to water. If I had something to anchor a winch to, I could see it, but I
can't sink a 20 ft piling on the opposite side of the creek. This is just
for fun; a lark if you will. I need an another boat like a hole in the head.
But seeing a perfectly good boat sitting out of water just calls to me.
Perhaps it's just a Huck Finn adventure I'm looking for.
Thanks

"Old Boat Goat" wrote in message
I'd jack it up enough to get some logs, rollers, even some planks, the
wetter and slimier the better, under her, . With some long, strong 2 X 4s
you should be able to lever and skid her into the water. Use some plywood
between the lever and the boat to spread the load if you're concerned
about crushing anything.

Don
an old boat goat

"rcoleman" wrote in message
. ..
Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry,
maybe 15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over
the marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide,
it's going to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to
secure a winch, and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to
drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

Don White

rcoleman wrote:
Not a bad idea, but this thing is in a spot that won't permit much jacking
I'm afraid. Too soft. "Lift" isn't going to be a word that will fit into
this plan. The roller concept could be part of the answer. I'm most
concerned with how much power will be needed to drag the hull over the land
to water. If I had something to anchor a winch to, I could see it, but I
can't sink a 20 ft piling on the opposite side of the creek. This is just
for fun; a lark if you will. I need an another boat like a hole in the head.
But seeing a perfectly good boat sitting out of water just calls to me.
Perhaps it's just a Huck Finn adventure I'm looking for.
Thanks

Wonder if it went aground during a hurricane storm surge?
If you wait a while, I'm sure it'll happen again.

Maybe you could lay out some poly plastic, rent a 2 or 3" diaphram pump
and make a big water slide sort of thing like kids hook up to the water
hose in the back yard. A boat or two might be able to pull it then. It
sounds like beer would also help. Aside from that, can you legally just
take it? Sam

S'pose somebody might *own* that boat, and *want* it, 15 yards from
the creek? :-)

Start dragging it away, and maybe get shot in some parts of the country.